AVG

Bazza454

Guest Tracker

Is AVG9.0 dependable?

When I first got AVG8.5 it played havoc with my computer and I had to uninstall it and do a system restore and go back to AVG8.0 for a month or so before trying again with complete success?

Tracker - 2009-11-03 2:25 PM

Is AVG9.0 dependable?

When I first got AVG8.5 it played havoc with my computer and I had to uninstall it and do a system restore and go back to AVG8.0 for a month or so before trying again with complete success?

I don't know, why don't you try it and let us know :D

Tracker - 2009-11-03 2:25 PM Is AVG9.0 dependable? When I first got AVG8.5 it played havoc with my computer and I had to uninstall it and do a system restore and go back to AVG8.0 for a month or so before trying again with complete success?

Recently downloaded v9 on to a PC and a couple of laptops with no problems. 

Tracker - 2009-11-03 2:25 PM

Is AVG9.0 dependable?

I'm running 9 on this PC, no problems so far (touching wood)

Guest Tracker

Well it's buggered up my computer again!

I can only get online via the start menu via IE8 as none of the shortcuts on my desktop work including the Firefox one which I prefer to IE.

Does anyone have a remedy before I uninstall AVG9.0 and revert to AVG8.5 please - if I can still download AVG8.5 that is - or maybe a system restore might fix it.

But enough is enough for one day!

Oh the deep joy of a computer!

Update of AVG 8.5 failed yesterday on this machine (invalid .ctf file) and I noticed that v9 was available so downloaded that. The program automatically ran an optimisation routine which took a long time but ran in the background so didn't cause a significant problem.

The major effect so far is that the full scan last night took half an hour less than it did when v8.5 was running. Don't mind that at all :-)

Graham

Guest Tracker

Normality seems to have resumed although it did take AVG almost 3 hours last night to do a full system scan - without finding any nasties I am pleased to say.

Start up and logon was painfully slow earlier this morning but seems to have settled down now so with luck I hope that it was either the BT line, Firefox or the forum that was messing me about last night?

I guess I'll never know but I do wonder if there is a conflict between AVG, Zone Alarm firewall, Adaware and/or Spywareblaster which might be slowing things down?

Opinion seems divided as to whether I really need the two Spyware blockers running simultaneously now that AVG appears to be more effective?

Guest Tracker

Normality seems to have resumed although it did take AVG almost 3 hours last night to do a full system scan - without finding any nasties I am pleased to say.

Start up and logon was painfully slow earlier this morning but seems to have settled down now so with luck I hope that it was either the BT line, Firefox or the forum that was messing me about last night?

I guess I'll never know but I do wonder if there is a conflict between AVG, Zone Alarm firewall, Adaware and/or Spywareblaster which might be slowing things down?

Opinion seems divided as to whether I really need the two Spyware blockers running simultaneously now that AVG appears to be more effective?

Tracker, one problem with AVG seems to make you post things twice :-D (sorry)

On a serious note i was told that two spywares running at the same time will slow things up considerably so i got rid of one and rely on AVG. Sometimes the speed is noticably slower but i put this down to peak times on the inter web.

Hopesy - 2009-11-04 4:27 PM

Tracker, one problem with AVG seems to make you post things twice :-D (sorry)

On a serious note i was told that two spywares running at the same time will slow things up considerably so i got rid of one and rely on AVG. Sometimes the speed is noticably slower but i put this down to peak times on the inter web.

I agree. I have other anti-spyware tools which I run from time to time but only AVG running constantly. Two tools trying to check the same traffic at the same are almost bound to get in each others way and cause hold-ups.

Graham

Tracker - 2009-11-04 12:11 PM Normality seems to have resumed although it did take AVG almost 3 hours last night to do a full system scan - without finding any nasties I am pleased to say. Start up and logon was painfully slow earlier this morning but seems to have settled down now so with luck I hope that it was either the BT line, Firefox or the forum that was messing me about last night? I guess I'll never know but I do wonder if there is a conflict between AVG, Zone Alarm firewall, Adaware and/or Spywareblaster which might be slowing things down? Opinion seems divided as to whether I really need the two Spyware blockers running simultaneously now that AVG appears to be more effective?

Agree with Hopesy and Graham.

I had ZoneAlarm and AVG on both a PC running XP and a laptop running Vista and had numerous problems. Eventually I gave up with ZoneAlarm and uninstalled it a few months ago, since then I have had no problems.

Guest Tracker

Yes I too am deeply suspicious of Zone Alarm as I had no end of problems with their anti virus until I dumped it.

So whose firewall do you now use that is allegedly as good as the highly regarded ZA?

Tracker - 2009-11-05 11:08 AM

Yes I too am deeply suspicious of Zone Alarm as I had no end of problems with their anti virus until I dumped it.

So whose firewall do you now use that is allegedly as good as the highly regarded ZA?

We have run free AVG (anti-virus and anti-spyware only) plus free Zone Alarm (firewall only) on a number of machines over several years with no problems at all.

It should be only when there are multiple programs trying to do the same job that conflicts arise. As the AVG & ZA modules in this scenario are doing different jobs the conflicts should not arise.

Graham

Archived