Google Maps to Garmin

JohnP

Yes it is!

Simplest way is to download Tyre, which will now allow Garmin as well as its origional Tom Tom downloads. Very easy plan your route with Tyre/ Google then download it to your device with this fully integrated freeware. See

http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/

Garmin mode is selectable from the 'General' tab

Bas

P.S. Works with Google Earth as well!

Hi if you mean plot a route in google maps and download that to satnav, I am not sure, their is an unofficial work around to download maps, yours or other peoples, this downloads as a simple .Kml file which can easily be converted to any format, but whether you could a convert route file?

Olley

JohnP - 2009-11-09 4:50 PM Is it possible to transfer routes from Google maps to Garmin satnav? I am sure Way To Go will know.

Hi John,

Yes you can.  If you plan your route then select [sEND] up in the top right of the screen then select GPS followed bt Garmin as per screen dump

W2G

google.jpg.d3d1899f98f5188ab321eee140e5ae7a.jpg

You're entirely welcome.

I never use Google Maps myself but much prefer ITN Converter http://tinyurl.com/sdz4l.  It's free to download and whilst it does use Google Maps it's much more adaptable.

You can create itineraries and save them to a variety of devices but the one thing I really love is the way you can drag a flag to the correct place.

Example:  I want to go to a CL for the weekend.  I type in the post code and it produces a flag of the post code's location as you'd expect.  If I then zoom in and change to satellite view I see the flag is in the middle of a housing estate yet two streets away is a small field with three caravans in it.

As I'm assuming this is my intended location I drag the flag to the entrance of the field and save the file.  I then copy the file to my device and know I'm going to arrive at the correct coordinates.

It's a bit like TYRE which was mentioned earlier.

I'm sure I wrote a 'how to' guide which I could probably dig out if you wanted a copy but I seem to remember it was quite a big file because of the included screen dumps.  If you want a copy send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

W2G

You're entirely welcome.

I never use Google Maps myself but much prefer ITN Converter http://tinyurl.com/sdz4l.  It's free to download and use and whilst it does use Google Maps it's much more adaptable.

You can create itineraries and save them to a variety of devices but the one thing I really love is the way you can drag a flag to the correct place.

Example:  I want to go to a CL for the weekend.  I type in the post code and it produces a flag of the post code's location as you'd expect.  If I then zoom in and change to satellite view I see the flag is in the middle of a housing estate yet two streets away is a small field with three caravans in it.

As I'm assuming this is my intended location I drag the flag to the entrance of the field and save the file.  I then copy the file to my device and know I'm going to arrive at the correct coordinates.

It's a bit like TYRE which was mentioned earlier.

I'm sure I wrote a 'how to' guide which I could probably dig out if you wanted a copy but I seem to remember it was quite a big file because of the included screen dumps.  If you want a copy send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

W2G

i cant quite understand why anyone would want to do this? i tried it but it was no different to putting it straight my satnav? except moprre complicated?? that is, a start point, an end point and any via points you want included?? am i missing something (?)

No you're not really missing anything Keith except that by planning an itinerary using Google Maps, or equivalent, you can see a much, much larger map and can plan your route accordingly.

You also get to zoom in and out much quicker and can switch to satellite view to see your 'real life' destination. 

I use my TomTom on almost a daily basis to visit my clients and I'm happy to use TomTom's Itinerary Planner to pick today's clients from a pre-installed set of POIs.  However, if I'm planning a route for our motorhome to follow I always use ITN Converter to set up the waypoints and route then copy the results to my device.

W2G 

Archived