mauritania

KeithR

when i went to morocco i dreamt of continuing on to mauritania, but was informed from many sources that this was a no no. however, i have just browsed camping-cars.info (my 2nd favourite read ,after MMM of course!) and was amaazed to see 6 aires for mauritania??? someone has obviously been there! are they REAL adventurers and trail blazers, with heavy duty vehicles, or is it really an ok destination for us all?? any thoughts (?) or knowledge (^)

hadnt thought of them tony, probably because they travel a more expensive route than i. i like to bumble along on no particular route and on sixpence! but perhaps you are right and they are the only way to go. shame, guess i'll continue being a sheep!!!

perhaps its a bit too warm there at the moment!

the FCO update also says the threat is prevalent in all countries on the border. But we all think of morocco as safe?? i wonder if the FCO give the safe threat level to all muslim countries? turkey, tunisia, egyp for instance?? must check it out (but from a safe distance, im too old to be brave!)

im sure i was once told that mauritania is where most expensive stolen cars end up, before being moved/sold on!

amazingly, i have just been talking to someone who motorhomed south from morocco! apparently south from morocco (western sahara) has at present no national ownership but is being controlled by morocco, so there are no border controls, just check points into the towns. there aree roads, towns and fuel stations and camp sites, it is much cheaper tthan morocco, whosee currency it uses and is quite a rocky desolate place.

off road at the algeria/mauritania boundaries are many mines, and the border guards at mauritania can be quite corrupt. If you readd up on western sahara it seems that it is safe as long s you dont go near the algerian or mauritanian bits. perhaps not so good for long term winter sun perhaps, but worth a drive to tick off your list??????

in france a month ago and while watching a program on tv in a bar about mauritania and saying how nice it looked, a friend of an a friend of ours said he was from there and said it was indeed beautiful but not at the moment a place for us to visit,too volatile i think he said,but one day?!!

Can be done but would suggest that you brush up on your French. Met a couple of elderly Belgians a year ago in Morocco who were travelling in a Berlingo!!! and had travelled through Mauritania, touched Senegal ( avoiding Dakar, considered dangerous) and into Mali and Timbuktoo ? This was March time and they said that they had a great time. Got the feeling that Mali was the place. I do not think I would do this alone. Get a few travelling companions and check visa details and where you get these.

Good luck if you go

thanks for that! amazing! no matter where you aim for, someone has always been there before, and further!!you are right though, only to be done in company. i think we sometimes forget that mostly the world is full of people going about their lawful business, but which seems not always to include maintaining roads!

do i know anyone brave enough though?? 8-)

KeithR - 2009-11-09 10:34 PM

when i went to morocco i dreamt of continuing on to mauritania, but was informed from many sources that this was a no no. however, i have just browsed camping-cars.info (my 2nd favourite read ,after MMM of course!) and was amaazed to see 6 aires for mauritania??? someone has obviously been there! are they REAL adventurers and trail blazers, with heavy duty vehicles, or is it really an ok destination for us all?? any thoughts (?) or knowledge (^)

Just back from Southern Morocco.......but did not cross to Mauri this time, but will probably be in going there [and beyond] early Jan for music festival.

NO problems with going to Mauritania but it can be boring for the Mhome owner....some may say little point! Best places are via 4x4 only.

Only prob you may have [but it is as always likely to change in time] is that visa's no longer being issued at border, man with stamp was keeping most of the fee's so I am told, so you will need visa BEFORE you arrive at crossing.......can be got in Rabat.

Ray [Desert Detours]

detourer - 2009-11-21 12:43 PM

Just back from Southern Morocco.......but did not cross to Mauri this time, but will probably be in going there [and beyond] early Jan for music festival.

Ray [Desert Detours]

Is that the Festival au Desert in Mali? Always fancied going to that one, are you taking a group?

AndyC

thanks for the info ray, that was a concern. another concern is obviously the state of the roads? i believe the moroccan road(s) to western sahara (dhaklia?) are adequate, but yer ordinary motorhome is not really a rough road rider!

may go next winter to morocco (and further) for a few months. all the info sounds positive .

i was supposed to meet you a couple of years ago for info on my first trip to morocco. unfortunately our paths failed to cross. but neve mind, you did provide some useful info on this forum (along with a couple of other experianced travellers) *-)

Archived