Motorhomefun moved.

vindiboy

It seems that Motorhomefun has changed servers and can't be accessed , they did post a lot of technical jargon on how to find them [ too much for a country boy like me to follow ] and Google search comes up with the old server and you can't connect, so I wonder is Motorhomefuns loss Outandaboutlives gain ??? (?) (?) (?)

It can be accessed.

Those helpful people at Micro$oft include a DNS cache in XP & Vista. This remembers the location of sites you have visited for up to a rolling 24hrs, so whenever you try to go to the new location, the DNS cache sends you to the old one. It's supposed to make visiting regular sites quicker, but we're only talking fractions of a second.

Either wait a day, or flush the DNS cache, or a reboot might do it.

If you are using Firefox, that also caches addresses, so clear history & private data from the Tools menu as well.

johngee - 2009-11-14 5:29 PM

It can be accessed.

Those helpful people at Micro$oft include a DNS cache in XP & Vista. This remembers the location of sites you have visited for up to a rolling 24hrs, so whenever you try to go to the new location, the DNS cache sends you to the old one. It's supposed to make visiting regular sites quicker, but we're only talking fractions of a second.

Either wait a day, or flush the DNS cache, or a reboot might do it.

If you are using Firefox, that also caches addresses, so clear history & private data from the Tools menu as well.

Now you see what I mean by a load of technical clap trap, no offence intended and thanks for your post.

vindiboy - 2009-11-14 4:38 PM

It seems that Motorhomefun has changed servers and can't be accessed , they did post a lot of technical jargon on how to find them [ too much for a country boy like me to follow ] and Google search comes up with the old server and you can't connect, so I wonder is Motorhomefuns loss Outandaboutlives gain ??? (?) (?) (?)

you can alway look into www.motorhometoday.co.uk

regards D

I hope this makes sense...

To refresh your cached DNS entries:

Start (button)

Run

Enter "cmd" (without the " here and for all following entries)

Then enter (in the black command window):

"ipconfig /flushdns" (then hit the Enter key - don't confuse \ with /)

Then enter

"exit"

to close the command window

Unfortunaely unless the upstream DNS server (provided by your ISP - Internet Service Provider) is also up to date you may have to wait 1-24hrs for their systems to update.

Al

------------------------

It was always so much easier with DOS

Why did it take Bill Gates 5 years to build his new house?

Because he had to keep re-installing the Windows.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try - others may do better...

The DNS service on your laptop resolves the URL (e.g. www.outandaboutlive.co.uk) to an IP address (a unique number sequence - for this site it's 78.129.232.164)

If the IP address of the website changes (e.g. the service is moved to another Internet provider) this information is sent by website administrator to the provider's Internet-based DNS servers from where it is automatically distributed to other DNS servers around the world. This process can take a few minutes or hours.

Until this information is on the DNS servers your Internet Service Provider (ISP) maintains your requests for the website will still be directed to the old server.

Your computer also maintains a "local" list of frequently used web/IP addresses which is also automatically updated regularly from your ISP. The command I suggested earlier (ipconfig /flushdns) forces your computer to release this list and retrieve the latest information form your ISP's DNS servers.

The error often received when Internet Explorer (or another browser) fails to resolve a website name with its IP address is "404". You will also get the same error if the website server is unavailable.

If this happens try a "hard" refresh - hold down the ctrl key and press function key F5.

And don't forget that there's a lot of truth in the long-standing joke "have you tried switching off and back on again".

Al

AlChemist - 2009-11-14 11:51 PM

I'll try - others may do better...

The DNS service on your laptop resolves the URL (e.g. www.outandaboutlive.co.uk) to an IP address (a unique number sequence - for this site it's 78.129.232.164)

If the IP address of the website changes (e.g. the service is moved to another Internet provider) this information is sent by website administrator to the provider's Internet-based DNS servers from where it is automatically distributed to other DNS servers around the world. This process can take a few minutes or hours.

Until this information is on the DNS servers your Internet Service Provider (ISP) maintains your requests for the website will still be directed to the old server.

Your computer also maintains a "local" list of frequently used web/IP addresses which is also automatically updated regularly from your ISP. The command I suggested earlier (ipconfig /flushdns) forces your computer to release this list and retrieve the latest information form your ISP's DNS servers.

The error often received when Internet Explorer (or another browser) fails to resolve a website name with its IP address is "404". You will also get the same error if the website server is unavailable.

If this happens try a "hard" refresh - hold down the ctrl key and press function key F5.

And don't forget that there's a lot of truth in the long-standing joke "have you tried switching off and back on again".

Al

Thank you very much for all that information, it must have taken you ages to post it and I am very grateful to you, it is as clear as mud to me still so if I ever find MHF again it will be by complete accident, will you do me another favour ? Please mix those chemicals together and give them a good shake, I would love to see the result LOL LOL :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

AlChemist posted a good explanation, with a small error, he said .....

"The error often received when Internet Explorer (or another browser) fails to resolve a website name with its IP address is "404". You will also get the same error if the website server is unavailable"

A "404" error is generated when, a web address is typed incorrectly or a particular web page no longer exists see:

http://www.404errorpages.com/

for a fuller explanation.

Michael ;-)

A few weeks ago I noticed a problem with MotorhomeFUN. When I was typing a (longish) reply to a post a 'pop up' ad. would suddenly appear, take up the whole page, and with NO little red cross in the top right of the screen. The only way I could get rid of it was by using the 'back' button and then guess what.........my entire post was lost!!!!

I am on about ten forums regularly and MHF is the ONLY one where this happened, I did complain and was told it was not the admins fault.

So I just voted with my feet and left, never to return!!!!!

Closing Windows

Those of us who have been using Windows for far too long and probably need to get a life will know the shortcut "alt+F4" to close down a window or exit a program (make sure the program or window in question is active then hold down the alt key and then hit function key F4).

There are a number of othe useful Windows keypress shortcuts which are documented on the Microsoft website.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449

Clive

Vindiboy/Malc

The explanation given by AlChemist looked OK to me – but like most scientists he may find it difficult to explain things in common everyday language without "dumbing down" too much. So ….

How the Internet works – with apologies to Humph ….

Imagine the Internet is like an international telephone system.

When you want to telephone Aunt Edna in Australia you pick up the phone, search through you address list held on the phone, find Aunt Edna, then press the call key. The phone changes “Aunt Edna” to a stored telephone number with country code, area code, and number then the request is routed through to Australia, the town exchange, then to the telephone in Aunt Edna’s house.

A computer Internet request operates in a similar manner. The web address (Aunt Edna) is translated into an IP address (telephone number) which then allows the request for information to be directed to the appropriate computer (server).

Now you want to call Uncle Bruce, but when you telephone using the number stored in your phone you get an “unobtainable” tone (“Server not found” in computer terms). This is because Bruce has left Sydney and moved to Alice (no jokes please) and has a new number. You therefore call BT international directory enquiries (the DNS server in computer terms), to find out the new number. Unfortunately BT still only have the old number as, although Telecom Austalia (the Internet Service Provider in computer terms) knows Bruce’s new number, they have not yet passed it on to all other telecoms companies (DNS servers) around the world.

So all you can do is wait until this information has been passed to BT (your ISP) before you can call Uncle Bruce (connect to the relocated website).

Clear as mud?

Clive

Now I’ve just noticed that Samantha is leaving to keep an appointment with the man who looks after the record archives …..

CAB - 2009-11-15 9:03 PM

Vindiboy/Malc

The explanation given by AlChemist looked OK to me – but like most scientists he may find it difficult to explain things in common everyday language without "dumbing down" too much. So ….

How the Internet works – with apologies to Humph ….

Imagine the Internet is like an international telephone system.

When you want to telephone Aunt Edna in Australia you pick up the phone, search through you address list held on the phone, find Aunt Edna, then press the call key. The phone changes “Aunt Edna” to a stored telephone number with country code, area code, and number then the request is routed through to Australia, the town exchange, then to the telephone in Aunt Edna’s house.

A computer Internet request operates in a similar manner. The web address (Aunt Edna) is translated into an IP address (telephone number) which then allows the request for information to be directed to the appropriate computer (server).

Now you want to call Uncle Bruce, but when you telephone using the number stored in your phone you get an “unobtainable” tone (“Server not found” in computer terms). This is because Bruce has left Sydney and moved to Alice (no jokes please) and has a new number. You therefore call BT international directory enquiries (the DNS server in computer terms), to find out the new number. Unfortunately BT still only have the old number as, although Telecom Austalia (the Internet Service Provider in computer terms) knows Bruce’s new number, they have not yet passed it on to all other telecoms companies (DNS servers) around the world.

So all you can do is wait until this information has been passed to BT (your ISP) before you can call Uncle Bruce (connect to the relocated website).

Clear as mud?

Clive

Now I’ve just noticed that Samantha is leaving to keep an appointment with the man who looks after the record archives …..

I don't have an Aunt Edna in Australia ???? (lol) (lol) (lol) many thanks for your help, I do understand all this but my problem is I just can't be bothered with it, I like things simple and usually get to where I wan't to be eventually,as I read all the Tecki stuff my mind starts to wander and Iv'e lost it , am I alone in this I wonder,as I said earlier the Judge got me back on MHF, but I know it was because I waited 24 hrs for my system to die and then resurect it's self. [ thats non Tecki talk for what happened ] I love this Forum OAL and also MHF so I am happy to be on both. :-o :-o :-o

Archived