Camping Cheques

PJay

Hi all ,

would like to know your opinions, as to wether it is worthwile buying Camping Cheques, for use in Europe? ( France, Spain and Portugal)We used ACSI last year, and found them to be very good value, and nice sites, in the main. Have ordered next years book already. Would it be usefull to have CC as well? I know you have to pay upfront with these, so not sure if it would be money well spent

Others opinions on this much appreciated.

Pauline

We often use Camping Cheques (which have been good valuein relation to the actual cost at sites) and then tend to cross check the sites we are interested in against the Caravan Club Europe Book to see if they are in there and what sort of write up they get.

Some of the best sites have been those in the Les Castels chain.

David

We have used Camping Cheques for a number of years and they do provide good value against campsite standard prices, in most cases. I suppose the only slight problem is that having purchased them you are rather committed to using them so this tends to influence your choice of campsite. Having said that we have discovered some real gems of campsites using them. We also quite like the ACSI Card, paticularly in Germany where they have far more campsites.

David

It will be worth checking out the website www.campingcheques.co.uk to see where the sites are in the countries which you plan to visit. You can find descriptions and locations then decide if you want to purchase some camping cheques. You can obviously check in the ACSI book and another guide ( I suggest Camping Club Europe) to plan an itinerary or at least have some idea of where you want to stay.

If you wish to be in a particular area and there are no sites used by ACSI but some which take Camping Cheques you then have your answer. We have used Camping Cheques and they offered very good value. Do remember to check the prices (The euro/sterling exchange rate is a factor). I believe that it is still correct that Camping Cheques are valid for 2 years so if you do buy some and don't use them all on your forthcoming trip you could use them later. There are also some UK sites which do accept them.

An example of how we used them was when we went to Barcelona; in advance we had identified an ideal site then found it took Camping Cheques so we bought some, therby saving a considerable amount on pitch fees.

If you are in the Camping and Caravanning Club you may wish to check their Carefree Freedom Camping Scheme. It is similar in operation to the ACSI scheme but not as widespread. Again, it is worth checking to see if there are any suitable locations in that scheme that aren't in the ACSI scheme. The last time we used Freedom Camping we only stayed one night at a site near Zell am See in Austria but the amount we saved was more than the cost of the book and vouchers.

I hope this information is helpful.

In September we stayed at a couple of each in Germany and Luxembourg.

The Camping Cheque site at Echternacherbruck, had free use of the launderette!! We hadn't done any laundry for a couple of weeks and we had about 40€ worth compared to normal camp site prices!!

We also stayed at Sandbank an ACSI site on Lake Titisee. It was 13€ a night but they charged extra for a shower. I've made a complaint to ACSI and they're sending an inspector round to sort them out!! Nice location though.

Both sites I got free wifi from 'other sources' using my rooftop long range wifi antenna.

Weren't keen on the Camping Cheque site Kawan Village in Kohnenhof (Luxembourg). If I want to go to a campsite run by Dutch and full of Dutch, I'll go to Holland!!

Loved the ACSI site Höhencamping Königskanzel, Dornstetten, very friendly and wonderful schnitzel in the restaurant (6.50€ including a massive bowl of chips and salad),

We have used Camping Cheques off and on for several years and have always been happy with the sites.

It's worth noting that Cheques are valid for two calendar years so you do not have to spend them during the year they are bought. I believe the ACSI Card is only valid for one year.

Cattwg :-D

mel wood - 2009-11-16 4:00 PM

It will be worth checking out the website www.campingcheques.co.uk to see where the sites are in the countries which you plan to visit. You can find descriptions and locations then decide if you want to purchase some camping cheques. You can obviously check in the ACSI book and another guide ( I suggest Camping Club Europe) to plan an itinerary or at least have some idea of where you want to stay.

If you wish to be in a particular area and there are no sites used by ACSI but some which take Camping Cheques you then have your answer. We have used Camping Cheques and they offered very good value. Do remember to check the prices (The euro/sterling exchange rate is a factor). I believe that it is still correct that Camping Cheques are valid for 2 years so if you do buy some and don't use them all on your forthcoming trip you could use them later. There are also some UK sites which do accept them.

An example of how we used them was when we went to Barcelona; in advance we had identified an ideal site then found it took Camping Cheques so we bought some, therby saving a considerable amount on pitch fees.

If you are in the Camping and Caravanning Club you may wish to check their Carefree Freedom Camping Scheme. It is similar in operation to the ACSI scheme but not as widespread. Again, it is worth checking to see if there are any suitable locations in that scheme that aren't in the ACSI scheme. The last time we used Freedom Camping we only stayed one night at a site near Zell am See in Austria but the amount we saved was more than the cost of the book and vouchers.

I hope this information is helpful.

I have heard that the CC&C have abandoned the Carefree Freedom Scheme from next year in favour of a closer association with ACSI. At this stage I am not sure of the exact details.

David

I have used Camping Checks in the past but when I looked at the start of this year I thought at £48.50 for three they were expensive, ACSI is better value. This year we spent 12 weeks in France over May/June and Sept/October we averaged £12.50 a night using ACSI where possible and a mixture of other sites, only one of which was over the Camping Check price.

We use Camping Cheques good value even now at £13.5 approx. As stated earlier cross ref with Caravan Club Sites Directories or Alan Rodgers the main thing we find is some sites can be in the middle of nowhere (which you may prefer) or well away from the more popular resorts. Places like the South of France can get tricky close to the usabilty dates.

mirage - 2009-11-17 9:01 PM

We use Camping Cheques good value even now at £13.5 approx. As stated earlier cross ref with Caravan Club Sites Directories or Alan Rodgers the main thing we find is some sites can be in the middle of nowhere (which you may prefer) or well away from the more popular resorts. Places like the South of France can get tricky close to the usabilty dates.

Out of interest where are they £13.50 each. As I stated in my last post when I looked they were £48.50 for three or a shade over £16 each.

rupert123 - 2009-11-18 12:23 AM

Out of interest where are they £13.50 each. As I stated in my last post when I looked they were £48.50 for three or a shade over £16 each.

They are £13.95 each, but you pay a one off booking fee of £6.50 regardless of how many you buy. It works out quite expensive to buy just three.

I've got a Gold Card and the booking fee is only £2.75.

Luckily I bought ten cheques in January before they went up for £11.95 each. They last two years.

We have used Camping Cheques for a number of years. We also carry and ACSI card.

We know that most years we are likely to be able to spend a month abroad and so before we go we make sure that we have 30 Cheques with us.

We don't use them all but save the remainder and use them first the following year after we have again topped up to 30 again- if you see what I mean.

On their current front page, at the very bottom, they say that they have the POIs for 3800 sites (including 578 camping cheque ones) available. They are now on my TomTom. :-)

Archived