Fresh water fill hose

michele

Hello people ,

Help please the fresh water filler tube from the filler cap to the fresh water tank it has a small hole in it and its going black with mould it disappears under the floor .

Any ideas is there anyway to replace it without removing it all ? we only would like to replace the top bit if possible where you put the hose in .

how do we get to it ?

Thank you .

Hello,

nice to see you 'posting' again, sorry to hear about your problem.

as a temporary measure you could use 'Amalgym'(think thats the right name) tape, looks a bit like the old cloth type insulating tape, but this stuff is a hundred times better, It bonds together with the pipe and itself forming a watertight seal, which is also heat resisting (it works on Radiator hoses too). I pretty sure that Halfords sell it,or a decent Motor Factors. This is only putting off the enevitable though, the pipe will have to be replaced (eventually) hope that helps. Ray

michele - 2009-11-17 7:33 AM Hello people , Help please the fresh water filler tube from the filler cap to the fresh water tank it has a small hole in it and its going black with mould it disappears under the floor . Any ideas is there anyway to replace it without removing it all ? we only would like to replace the top bit if possible where you put the hose in . how do we get to it ? Thank you .

Any chance you could post a pic, so that we can see which bit is where?

Guest Tracker

In my experience it is often easier in the long run to replace rather than repair a leaky hose so unless you can get at the leaky section to thoroughly clean the tube before binding it up with tape - as it is low pressure and only carries water when being filled (I assume?) - ordinary electrical insulation tape wound in several overlapping layers will be quite sufficient.

Look in Yellow pages under 'Hoses' or try motor factors or someone like CAK Tanks or O'Learys or Charles & Son for replacement hose.

In all likelihood it is a standard internal bore size and should be quite easy to source - but likely to be a real pain in the bum to fit!

We had a crack in our filler hose which I repaired with sealant but it didn't last. I obtained a new piece of (better quality) hose from a local caravan & camping shop. There are also people selling hose on eBay.

It was actually much easier to completely replace the hose than the messing about I had when trying to seal the leak.

Graham

I think the 'amalgamating' tape Ray mentions is branded "DUCK PIPE HOSE AND REPAIR TAPE". GOGGLE-ing on "repair tape radiator hose" suggests it's (as Ray says) available from Halfords. Probably the best thing to use for a sem--permanent repair. I believe your motorhome has its water-tank betwen the floors, so I can understand that a hose repair will be more attractive than a replacement.

Hi Michele,

Sorry to hear of your problem but really glad to see a post from you again - my husband drives me mad asking where you are every time I log on at home !!! He was saw your picture a year or more ago and that was that - he's smitten........ :-S Men! *-) ;-)

Brian Kirby - 2009-11-17 1:48 PM
michele - 2009-11-17 7:33 AM Hello people , Help please the fresh water filler tube from the filler cap to the fresh water tank it has a small hole in it and its going black with mould it disappears under the floor . Any ideas is there anyway to replace it without removing it all ? we only would like to replace the top bit if possible where you put the hose in . how do we get to it ? Thank you .

Any chance you could post a pic, so that we can see which bit is where?

Sorry Brian my camper is in Portugal at the mo with my friends it will be back on Sat I think (hubbys Knows I care not ) anyway I will try then I am not sure how far down the hole is (hubby at work ) but I will ask and see if I can get a pic certainly anything for you :D

catinou - 2009-11-18 10:36 AM

Hi Michele,

Sorry to hear of your problem but really glad to see a post from you again - my husband drives me mad asking where you are every time I log on at home !!! He was saw your picture a year or more ago and that was that - he's smitten........ :-S Men! *-) ;-)

haha god the man must be ill , I dont look like that anymore lol fat chance I should put up a recent one perhaps the snowy one then he can see that he really must put his goggles on haha..

Waiting for Brian to put his amazing one up with the snow on the camper ever since then I have been really into snow lol. funny people aint we :D

Take off the hose and go to any Plumbers Merchant. They have it in various diameters.

I have just renewed my wastewater drain hose and the shop I used sell it by the metre. It should only cost you £5 or £6 for a metre length.

BTW I had to have the fresh water hose renewed on my last van before it was 2 years old.

You have to be careful with this type of hose when you are bending (or straightening) it to shape. It has a wire frame and if you are too rough you can split the outer plastic cover.

I would bet that yours has gone on a bend and that could be down to bad handling as suggested above.

Hi Michele,

Cat,

You are so right...... Men :-S *-)

Anyway, I'm with your hubby on this one...... ;-)

Guest Tracker
Blizzard - 2009-11-19 9:03 PM

Hi Michele,

Cat,

You are so right...... Men :-S *-)

Anyway, I'm with your hubby on this one...... ;-)

Looks don't matter - within reason of course - as it's the person inside that you have to live with and that is much more important!

Derek Uzzell - 2009-11-18 10:05 AM

I think the 'amalgamating' tape Ray mentions is branded "DUCK PIPE HOSE AND REPAIR TAPE". GOGGLE-ing on "repair tape radiator hose" suggests it's (as Ray says) available from Halfords. Probably the best thing to use for a sem--permanent repair. I believe your motorhome has its water-tank betwen the floors, so I can understand that a hose repair will be more attractive than a replacement.

yep you are so right Derek

The hole is tiny we as people have suggested have done this ourself no doubt ,putting the hose in to fill.

We can see the tiny tiny minute hole our problem is inside the hose (looking from the outside as you fill ) its green with algae . Derek as you suggest rightly our tank is under the floor . Have we got to unscrew the whole floor to gain acces or can we do this from underneath ?

any suggestions . and any re the green mould . Why does this happen .

EDIT To say, if the top what we can see is green is the rest likely to be mouldy as well

michele - 2009-11-19 10:49 PM

Derek as you suggest rightly our tank is under the floor . Have we got to unscrew the whole floor to gain acces or can we do this from underneath ?

Dunno - it's going to depend on how Swift built your motorhome. There's usually some sort of 'hatch' in the motorhome's floor to allow limited access to the tank so that it can be cleaned inside, so (assuming your Bessacarr has such a hatch) this might allow you to reach the tank's filler-hose inlet if you do decide to replace the complete filler-hose. Alternatively, or you might be able to reach the filler inlet through a hatch in your motorhome's side. Logically, the chaps who built your motorhome would have attached the filler-hose to the tank after the tank had been installed between the floors, so it OUGHT to be possible to replace the hose without dismantling the complete vehicle.

Ah, ha!  Fresh water tank under floor, and filler hose inlet above floor.  So, filler hose likely to be shaped like a large letter S?  I just wonder, if that is correct, whether it has been pre-formed to a S?  If not, I think heat would have been required to allow it to take the bends without flattening the pipe.  Maybe you should contact Swift to see if they have replacements, and/or advice/guidance on how/what to replace.

There is a tendency for the floors to be the first bit to be put down when building motorhomes, so place tanks etc on floor, then install false floor, then furniture and appliances on false floor, then walls, then roof, and front and rear walls.  That just might mean the connection to the tank was made before the walls went on, with the connection to the filler point made afterwards.  As Derek says, if there is an external trap into the underloor void it may be possible to reach the bottom filler pipe connection from that, otherwise, I think judicious surgery may be required, accompanied, no doubt, by lots of swearing!!  :-)

Incidentally, I was after a pic of the filler pipe installation, rather than the hole.  Above and below floor now seems desirable.  Good luck!

Guys the service hatch is bang above the tank . To top it off there is about a 1inch gap between the hatch looking in to on top of the tank . GOD they aint exactly made it easy have they which just makes us think if it ever happened that we wre to buy a new one things like this we will look for .

Motor home returned today from portugal so tomorrow or in the week hubby will have a bloody hard look (she says )

Thanks alot guys for answering will get back to you inbetween the kids and hubbys temper .

For what it's worth, Michele, I still think you should have a hard look for where the lead actually is, take a pic or two when you can, and then contact Swift for advice.  They made it, so they should know how it is to be repaired.  If it will be especially difficult, maybe it will have to go back to the factory.  In principle, they should not make non-serviceable/repairable items.

Archived