safe parking at Calais

momshoey

We always park on the dock when we arrive and the night before returning, always other motorhomes there and lights on all night. The rumble of lorries soothes me to sleep. If you come out as usual , go round the roundabout then go in towards the ticket office area, some bits are more level than others.

The easiest place to park as there are four of you including RV's and time of night, is to exit the ferry terminal and go right around the roundabout,follow the signs for the ferry and park in the ferry departure car park. Plenty of room. Bit noisy with the ferries and the lorry noise but patrolled by the gendarmes. You can get off to a good start the following day. The Calais aire would probably be fairly full at that time of night and is 7 euros anyway.

If you are arriving via Eurotunnel we use their "Overspill" car park just behind the petrol station on the exit road. You can get to it by driving through the petrol station - but it's not easy for large vehicles. Better to go down to the end of the reoad and follow the main road around.

It is also close to Cite Europe for shopping in the morning.

We always drive down to the aire in the carpark of Auchan in Saint Martin les Boulogne. It's only about 30 minutes away and in the right direction.

In the morning we pop into Auchan and get some bread, croissants etc. and fill up with cheap diesel before making our way.

If you park near the McDonalds you may get free wifi too!!

Hi and welcome to the mad house.

I've done a trawl on Google and found the following which may be helpful - the fourm 'search' facility is having a sulk again.

Info about overnighting at Calais, on the aire, dock and at City Europe etc in these threads:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11115&posts=9

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13852

Some info on the 'shopping' on this thread:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13597&posts=8

Hi the ferries departure carpark isn't suitable for RV's much over 9metre's unless you can get a quad slot, you need it double length, and you need it double width to enable you to swing into the slot as the rows are to close together.

Here's us last year, it really was a bad move as I had a trailer on as well, which is sticking out into the roadway.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/olleybeak/Sites/Calais%20departures%20carpark/DSCN7086.jpg

The two best places for size are the dock basin and Cite Europe, Calais Aire on the other side of the dock, on the sea front is ok. unless they are really big then they might have a few problems.

the dock basin (quai edmond pagniez, boulevard du 8 mai, coordinates 50.961049 1.845982) is large enough (many british hgv's park here) , safe enough (many m/homes park here), is free has better views than the docks, and is next to the town.

i cant see the reason for parking at the docks, unless you dont feel happy not being on a campsite. i start my holiday when i get off the boat. the basin and the aire both have views, (marina or beach) are well populated, have a police presence and are close to pubs, restaurants, bakeries etc etc. for a pleasant evening out, or just a stroll. even take a day to see calais, its a nice town and more than just a place to get on a boat.

I think that parking at Cite Europe for large RVs is now more difficult.

Probably to aid security sweeps a stockade has been built near the entrance in the area where motorhomes normally park. This limits the room to swing round into double parking spots.

There is still a lot of space but the yellow concrete blocks can be difficult to see at night if you are not aware of them all lined up (for cars?).

Joyce

We've used the ferry terminal park for almost 20 years without problem. If such things are important to you there is a restaurant, toilets and showers in the arrivals / departure building if you look hard enough.

Leaving in a morning just involves a trip around the island onto the autorout and you are away. Or if this is the return trip around the island into the departure area. Ideal for early starts!

thanks folks, i thought i was going to get a lot of flak!

i believe the aire money is collected by the campsite personnel? and the last time i was there and paid, the receptionist gave me permission to use their ablutions. i have been told that using them was quite common in the days before we had to pay for the aire. a bit cheeky methinks :$

Roy, I think you may have been fortunate as I know of several friends who's motorhomes have been broken into during an overnight stop on this service area at various times. Personally, I avoid all these areas for overnighting - they are just too convenient for those who make a part living from making off with other peoples' property. There are other, safer, places to stop overnight in the area. However, the Baie de Somme is nice to stop at during the day time with a view point on the north-bound carriageway side.

J

THanks J

We may have just been lucky, but always felt quite secure, being on a toll motorway and always plenty of other M/H's and caravans parked up. Also I have seen a security van patrolling.

With regard to wild camping, I think regardless of anything, it's down to how you feel on the day, I personally wouldn't stay anywhere if it didn't feel right, that goes for campsites as well.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the people who have been broken into, where they friends of a friend, or people you actually know?

Cheers Roy

The Calais aire is 7 euros which is on the sign at the entrance. The fee is collected by the camp site staff at approx 6.30 pm or 9.0 am . If you arrive late and leave early like the French, you can avoid paying if so inclined. If out in Calais when they call in the evening, you will have a ticket left on the windscreen which they will collect the following morning.

takeaflight - 2009-11-17 11:55 PM Not Calais, but we always use http://www.baiedesomme.fr/aire-autoroutiere-de-l-autoroute-a16-pres-de-la-baie-de-somme--ene25.html A16 for Paris about 45mins and free overnight parking, head for the caravan sign. Roy

This illustrates, once again, the confusion over "Aires".  This is not a "camper stop" aire (aire de services camping car), it is a motorway service area (aire de services autoroutier).  The "caravan sign" merely indicates where the designated caravan/motorhome parking bays are sited: it does not imply use for overnight parking, although this is not illegal. 

It is unwise to use these autoroute "aires" (whether aires de services or aires de repos) for overnight stopping, and the French police generally advise against doing this.  It is the practise of overnighting on such autoroute "aires" that has led to so many of the reports of break in and robbery, and has caused great confusion over the safety of Aires de Services Camping Cars (the true camper stops).  Generally, whereas the autoroute flavour carry substantial security risks, the Aires de Services Camping Cars carry no greater security risk than would a camp site selected at random, and can be used with full confidence.

However, as with any overnight halt, including camp sites, if it feels wrong, is tatty, or has broken glass lying on the ground, go elsewhere!  To this end, it is far wiser to stop driving while it is still light, and make a proper assessment of the proposed stopping point, with sufficient margin to do so with the next one as well, if you decide to move on.  Those who have been robbed frequently seem to have driven until it is dark, when they cannot properly judge the locality.  So do many of those who have reversed into unseen hazards!

Use campsites or proper aires, stop driving while it is still light, plan accordingly, and there is no need for anyone to suffer theft or accident during overnight halts.

momshoey - 2009-11-17 4:49 PM

Is there anywhere safe to park in the area of Calais.

We arrive at about 9pm, and would like to stay overnight before setting off to Spain the following morning. We are a party of 4 motorhomes,two of them

RVs.

I think I have mentioned this before on these pages, but my favourite place to hunker down for a few hours is at Franglais Vins, near Frethun. Take the A16 Autoroute toward Boulogne, leave the autoroute at the exit signposted 'Gare TGV' turn left onto the D215 and Franglaise Vin warehouse is the yellow low-rise building on your right. It closes to the public at 7pm (re-opens in the morning at 9 or 9.30). They welcome motohomes (but expect you to buy a bottle or two - no problem, they have a large range of booze). It is about 20 minutes from the ferry, very quiet and level. No security, but you are well out into the country, so should have no problems if you take normal precautions.

spospe - 2009-11-17 10:06 PM

and is free (not 7 euro)

spospe - just checking. :-D Is the Calais aire now free all year? It used to be €7 'in season' and only free during the 'out of season' period. With the services being free all year.

Cattwg

Peter42 - 2009-11-18 3:15 PM

I think I have mentioned this before on these pages, but my favourite place to hunker down for a few hours is at Franglais Vins, near Frethun. Take the A16 Autoroute toward Boulogne, leave the autoroute at the exit signposted 'Gare TGV' turn left onto the D215 and Franglaise Vin warehouse is the yellow low-rise building on your right. It closes to the public at 7pm (re-opens in the morning at 9 or 9.30). They welcome motohomes (but expect you to buy a bottle or two - no problem, they have a large range of booze). It is about 20 minutes from the ferry, very quiet and level. No security, but you are well out into the country, so should have no problems if you take normal precautions.

Just goes to show how one mans meat is anothers poison. We looked at the above for stopping and thought it most unsuitable. The parking area can be clearly seen from the autoroute, busy main road right next door and a busy railyard just the other side of the main road.As I said we felt that it wasn't right. I much prefer to stop at an aire not too far away at TARDINGHEN AIRE

1615 Route d'Ausques

La Ferme de l'Horloge

62 179 Tardinghen

Latitude : (Nord) 50.86281° Décimaux ou 50° 51' 46.116''

Longitude :(Est) 1.64907° Décimaux ou 1° 38' 56.652''

Peace and quiet, superb views in the morning, bread van in the morning and for us it feels right. OK it costs 5€ but worth every €

In our view both Calais dock and Calais aire are safe overnight stops, but the latter can be noisy at weekends. If you want a really safe stop however, then go to the private aire at Audinghen, Cap Nature. Here you park in the court yard surrounded by the owners buildings and with his house at one end. Parking is free but you pay for water (2€ or hook-up 5€; no waste empty points). He has a well stocked shop selling regional products and his brother-in-law has recently opened a bistro in part of the buildings. We had a very nice meal there for 40€ for 2 including wine. His English is v.good! (He comes from near Bradford). We use it as we mainly cross using the tunnel, a la Tesco, but it is not far from Calais if you take the coast road. GPS:N50 50 44.83 E 1 36 17.54. It is both a France Passion stop and an aire so anyone can stay and you do not feel obliged to buy if you do not want to. 1597bis in Le Guide National (2009), not listed in British aires book.

Archived