A few questions from a newbie

Bellis555

Opinions on Elddis sunseekers? Trying to find info on the 25. Apparently they are special editions but have found nothing. Any good, rewiews, manuals available?

Are pegueot 1.9TD engines powerful enough?

When a campsite says 5 or 10 amps included what usage does that actually equate to?

I'm sure i'll have many more questions so will become friends with the search button.

MMM magazine published a 'brief' report on a 2001 Sunseeker in the July 2001 issue and a 'Secondhand Choice' article on a 2003 Sunseeker 35 (2.0TD diesel) in December 2006.

Sunseeker models are very UK-conventional in terms of bodywork construction, internal layout and equipment. Your mention of the engine size indicates that the motorhome you have in mind will be at least 8 years old, so it's much more important that the vehicle is still in good condition in 2009 than what it was like new. Difficult to advise as to whether the 1.9litre motor should be "powerful enough": it certainly won't provide ball-of-fire acceleration and allow you to rocket up steep hills, but I believe it had a good reliability record.

If you multiply the campsite mains voltage (230V) by the stated Amperage, you'll get the Wattage. So 230V x 5A = 1150W and 230V x 10A = 2300W. This calculation should allow you to decide what mains appliances you can safely use in your motorhome without overloading the site's supply. (Eg. you shouldn't attempt to use a 2000W kettle with a 5A supply.)

The Caravan Club's Sites Directory and Handbook is a valuable source of campsite-related information (including a section on mains 'hook-ups'), and John Wickersham's introductory/technical books on motorcaravanning provide excellent advice on buying, owning and operating motorhomes. See:

http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/

(Best of luck with this forum's SEARCH button. Nowadays the facility is largely useless.)

Thanks for the info. Our plans are to travel to parts of the alps so no idea whether it will be enough. Yes it is about 8yrs old, so they don't manufacture MH's with 1.9 anymore, more like 2.8?

When looking at a second hand MH where should one be checking, where are the MH trouble spots, seals etc? i'll check out these books and buying guides.

Thanks again

Hi,i think you will find the Sunseeker models are specials sold by West Country Motorhomes,we have a 115,they have a load of extras that you would normally pay for with other dealers such as a heki roof,door flyscreen,electric step,full oven & blown air heating,this is our second Elddis and although a lot of people look down on them as being entry level and not having the build quality of some of the dearer vans i think they are superb and certainly dont see the point in spending a load more money on anything else (except an I H)

Bellis555 - 2009-11-22 12:24 AM

Opinions on Elddis sunseekers? Trying to find info on the 25. Apparently they are special editions but have found nothing. Any good, rewiews, manuals available?

Are pegueot 1.9TD engines powerful enough?

When a campsite says 5 or 10 amps included what usage does that actually equate to?

I'm sure i'll have many more questions so will become friends with the search button.

No idea about the Elddis, never had one, but the 1.9 engine will be fine. Motorhomes have the areodynamics of a bungalow so none are fast, why would you want them to be. In the alps, which you mention in your second post, the hills are usually not as steep as a lot you will find in the UK but longer. Derek has given you an answer to the amp question but as a rule 10 amps will be fine unless you turn on a lot of high wattage items at the same time. If you wish to work things out remember the simple formula amps= watts divided by volts.

You are at the bottom of a long, sometimes steep, often expensive, learning curve.  I would suggest, before fixing your ideas too much, and certainly before parting with any cash, you go here, buy this book, and read it from cover to cover! http://tinyurl.com/lyudcw

It is an excellent source of general information (with a considerable amount of valuable detail) on matters motorhoming, and may just save you a small fortune in inappropriate buys.  It won't tell you about the Elddis, but it will give you the information you'll need to judge one when you meet it!  Written by a motorhomer for motorhomers.  Essential reading!

I have an 02 Elddis Autoquest 200 that I have had for 4 years now. It has been excellent value for money and I have been to most areas of France in it with no problems, summer or winter.

It has a 1.9 litre HDI engine which has always performed very well for it's size. It is not slow on normal A roads or country lanes.

The only difficulty I have had is on some of the long uphill motorway sections, ie between Calais and Rouen where when I am fully loaded has been as low as 45mph when windy. Also when overtaking lorries, the headwind as you get level with the lorry cab holds you back. Sometimes you have to drop back when you when you get on an incline unexpectedly. Next time I will go for a 2.8 or similar.

On saying that I am off to Switzerland and the French Alps in January, so have no hesitation or fear of the 1.9 engine. I reckon it does about 28 mpg average.

Clive.

Archived