Euro credit cards

John.N

This year in France we found that some of the smaller supermarkets would not accept our Visa credit card supplied by the Cooperative Bank as it did not have the EU logo on it. They pointed to a poster showing the cards which the did accept and these were mostly (perhaps all) EU banks and had the logo boldly displayed. This has never happened to us before and the major hypermarchés and filling stations accepted the card. I asked the Cooperative Bank if they could issue a card displaying the magic icon and they said no and thought that none of the other British banks did either.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Guest Tracker

We had all our cards refused by a small supermarket in a small town in the far North of Norway in 2008. The guy was very polite and very apologetic and suggested we use his cash machine to get cash - so we did - and we never had a problem anywhere else from the Nordkapp to the Sahara!

However we do always now make sure that we carry enough local currency to at least get us to a major city if not out of the country - spending it all at or just before the border exit on food and fuel.

Were you able to get any further details as to what was causing the problem?  We are in the EU and, so far as I know, all cards are either on the Master Card, Visa, Diners or American Express systems. 

There are no EU banks, as such, as all banks are regulated on a state by state basis.  For example, if you have a French, Euro, account, it does not follow that your cheques will be accepted outside France. 

The only form of payment that crosses borders seamlessly is plastic, so I'd guess that these outlets have a restriction placed on them because of the card system they have adopted, and not because of a missing logo.

I ca't remember exactly which supermarkets they were. Small SuperU's come to mind. They definitely had posters showing the cards they accepted - all with the EU logo. Perhaps (and hopefully) it was an isolated experience and I shall worry no more.

Klyne - 2009-11-23 11:38 PM

Surely the fact that it has the Visa sign on the card is enough? Never had a problem in France with my Tesco Visa card. Did they actually scan the card or did they just make up their minds they did not like the look of it?

David

They didn't scan it. They just shook their heads and said "Non"

Hi

we have also had the odd problem in Germany where shops & campsites would not accept Visa/ mastercard/ or debit cards (i've used all these cards all over the world from the Himalayas to remote towns in Namibia to outback in OZ - but Germany!!!). In Germany I tend to take cash just in case!

These shops generally took a different type of card which name i cannot remember but recognised as a minor player in UK.

Peter

Guest Tracker
David Dwight - 2009-11-24 8:25 PM

Roamer,

We have used Debit and Credit cards in Lidl in the UK, France and Germany.

David.

I have a feeling that Lidl in some countries charge you for using a credit card but due to the language issue and as it is in Euros (or whatever?) you may well not notice?

We had Nationwide VISA credit and debit cards refused at a large German supermarket called Kaufland in Trier in October this year and also at Camping Treviris at Trier. They took one look at the VISA stamp and said no. Perhaps something to with fraud case involving VISA in Europe. We had used both cards in France, Belgium and other places in Germany with no trouble before and after this.

Wills Wagon -

"Perhaps something to do with fraud"

Back in 2002 - Tromso Norway - the BP garage would only except payment by card after taking my passport number. This was the only location this has ever occured but one or two supermarkets did refuse credit card during that trip, at that time we did not have chip and pin but they did.

We have used credit cards almost everywhere we have travelled without a problem, but it is upto the retailer what payment is excepted. Credit cards involve a percentage charge to be paid by retailer but cash/debit cards do not allowing the retailer to operate on smaller margins.

Perhaps the cards listed do not charge the retailer the rates used by the main card issuers.

Wills Wagon - 2009-11-24 9:54 PM

We had Nationwide VISA credit and debit cards refused at a large German supermarket called Kaufland in Trier in October this year and also at Camping Treviris at Trier. They took one look at the VISA stamp and said no. Perhaps something to with fraud case involving VISA in Europe. We had used both cards in France, Belgium and other places in Germany with no trouble before and after this.

The only card nearly all German supermarkets will take is German debit cards. Germany has always been cash orientated with credit frowned upon hence their history of a strong economy.

It's only in more recent years that you have been able to buy fuel with credit cards.

Hi John,

Think you've probably just been a bit unlucky, however, having said that, our local Super U Cash machine is often "Temperamental" about giving money on a Nationwide Card.

One thing to watch though.....24 hour Fuel Pumps at Suprmarkets will often not accept U.K. Cards, you have to use a Carte Bleu. We had an extremely embarrasing moment at Leclerc outside Boulogne.

Late at night, diesel too low to risk continuing on A16.......

Fortunately, a kind Frenchman was prepared to use his card in return for Euro Notes.

The Booze Supermarkets on the Spanish Border at Jonqueras will take U.K. Cards, but only with proof of identity.

It would seem that Cash is not totally out of date.

The place I have had most trouble is at the Auchan fuel station at Bouloogne where a couple of times I have had different cards refused, It is very rare I go there now. The last few times I went to Le clerc on leaving the ferry. Even on the pay yourself pumps I have had no problems during the early hours.

On the outskirts of Toulouse in September I had to walk out of a Lydl and leave the groceries because they would not take any cards.

Another trip travelling cross country off motorways I must have tried about 6 Esso and Total garages that were closed but had alnight pumps and give up at the end and altered my route slightly to go on the motorway to top up. Going off thread slightly, have you noticed how many French people use cheques in the supermarket whereas here the banks are talking about doing away with them completely.

Clive.

I always make sure I have enough cash to cover my bill in Aldi and Lidl when in Germany or France as I have had my Nationwide debit card refused a few times :-S they just look at it and say no, the Carrafour, and larger supermarkets Ive had no trouble with, same with the petrol stations! sometimes Yay another time its Nay. I always offer the card first trying to conserve the cash but when its getting low find a cash machine.

coach2000 - 2009-11-25 10:14 PM

have you noticed how many French people use cheques in the supermarket whereas here the banks are talking about doing away with them completely.

Clive.

That is because the French Banks have a monthly charge for using debit Cards but not for cheques and it is illegal to write a cheque knowing that you have not enough in your account to cover it.

Archived