batterie type

bazooka

my transit batterie is under the driving seat to check electrolite levels i have to remove the seat which is a struggle.Can i forget this chore if i fit amaintenance free batterie. If its this easy to solve why don't the converters fit one in the first place? also would my leisure batterie have to be the same type

baz

If you push your seat as far forward as possible it might be possible to get at the battery. I know this is the case in the older Fiats/ Peugeots.

If you buy a maintenance-free battery you won't be able to check the electrolyte level anyway so it's one less job.

You don't have to have the same battery for your leisure battery as your "car" battery. In fact, they are of a quite different construction to suit the different usage.

Hope this helps.

bazooka

I assume that your Transit is either a MK6 or a MK7 (the MK4 & 5 housed both batteries under the bonnet).

Topping-up either battery without removing the seat is possible, but very difficult due to both restricted access and the presence of the retaining clamp obscuring part of the starter battery.

The driver's seat is held in place by five Torx40 bolts which are very easy to remove and then the seat can be lifted out through the driver's door and placed on the floor with the seat belt still attached. In my own 'van I can have the seat out in 5 minutes.

Both the leisure (front) and the starter (rear) battery are then easily accessible. I have found over the last 2 years that with the amount of use that our MK7 has (about 120 nights per year, mostly without EHU), that it is necessary to check and top-up the leisure battery twice a year.

For the MK 6 and MK7 Transit, there is a maximum physical size that will fit under the seat and the usual leisure model specified, is a Varta 90 A/H liquid (not gel) version.

thanks spose,transit is 54 reg the one before the present one 4 screw threads have to be removed then i tilt the seat back on to the seat behind.But putting it back is tricky lining the holes up.I might get the varta but would'nt amaintenance free (does this mean gel)be less hassel.

thanks baz

bazooka

In spite of claims by manufacturers, there is no such thing as a maintenance free, liquid electrolyte battery; they all need periodic checking. All charging and discharging results in gassing of the electrolyte and this means some loss of water, no matter how ingenious the screw caps are at reclaiming the evaporate.

A gel battery is indeed maintenance free as far as electrolyte loss goes and provided that you are happy with the additional cost, then it will ease your problem with inspection.

Remember that the charging regime for liquid and gel is different and that your mains power unit will need to be switched to 'gel' as will any solar panel that you have on your 'van. Overall, I am not a fan of gel batteries and prefer the simplicity of using liquid, even though it does mean more checking.

Good decision.

It it possible to change the location of the starter and leisure battery around to make level checking easier? You will also find a new battery will consume much much less water than an older one.

With the varta and its translucent casing it is also possible to check levels through the sides, you might need a bit more light using a torch, so you only need to get access to caps when you come to top up.

Archived