Snooper S7000 truckman

rupert123

Brian Kirby - 2009-11-29 5:15 PM

Have a look at this earlier thread, Henry, which explored a number of the pros and cons.  http://tinyurl.com/yjr7zso

Thanks for that Brian but their seems to be a new one around that has complete Europeon mapping plus some other updates such as poi,s, wondered if it was any better. It would be nice to have something that really did the job with regard to van size.

The main point from that earlier post, was that the mapping lacks the details to allow the sat nav to work effectively.  My information at the time, was that only legal restrictions were mapped, which meant you could be directed down narrow lanes etc if there was no actual width restriction, or if the width restriction hadn't been mapped.  Ditto heights, weight limits etc.

I was also told that the mapping did not include this information for all European countries, and that which restrictions had been mapped varied country by country.  So, in short, a bit of a lottery!

I note there is a new Garmin unit, Garmin 465T, which is stated to use road width information in an article in a French magazine.  399 Euros.  It has the facility to enter vehicle details: width, height, maximum weight, number of trailers, overall length, details of dangerous cargo (cassette? :-)), and maximum axle weights.  Looks good, but needs to be checked vis a vis the map detail available to it in various countries, and what detail it actually responds to i.e. recorded road widths, gradients etc, or just legal restrictions.  If you find out, do let us know.

Archived