Frost?

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

Looking at the weather forecast, now might be an appropriate time for those of us in areas prone to freezing to think about emptying our hot, cold and waste water tanks, not forgetting the loo flush water holding tank.

Having emptied it all, run both the pumps and leave the taps open to clear the bulk of the standing water out thus leaving enough air space in the system to prevent any remaining standing water expanding and causing damage.

I would also bring indoors any liquid stored in bottles and cans just to be sure.

Hymer C 9. - 2009-11-29 3:26 PM

Not a bad idea to put some extra insulation over your elektroblock either when it gets really cold, ours cost us £400 last year and the week we had ours Brownhills had sold 4 others worth checking, they said it was due to the very frosty weather. Carol.

Carol what is that elektoblock and what does it do?

We drained our van down a couple of weeks ago when we realised we wouldnt be going again ntill spring.

Hymer C 9. - 2009-11-29 3:26 PM Not a bad idea to put some extra insulation over your elektroblock either when it gets really cold, ours cost us £400 last year and the week we had ours Brownhills had sold 4 others worth checking, they said it was due to the very frosty weather. Carol.

Not sure about that Carol!  If you have the van on hook-up at home, and the Elektroblock is working, any insulation would prevent it cooling effectively as it works.  Possible result, fried Elektroblock in lieu of frozen - even fried Hymer!  Besides which, if it is generally cold over a long spell, whatever insulation you use, unless the Elektroblock is working, it eventually will reach the same temperature as everything else. 

If not on hook-up, and you forget the insulation before next using it, same possible result.  If they go wrong, they can generally be returned to Schaudt and repaired: much cheaper than buying new. 

I don't really believe the freezing story, though internal condensation may have had a role.  Keep your van well wrapped up, ventilate from time to time, and gently warm when not in use, with an electric greenhouse heater or a dehumidifier, if at all possible.

We drove to Buxton on Saturday via Dove Holes on the A6 and the snow lay all about (not very) deep and crisp and even. So yes, Tracker is right, get it all drained down before the frost really strikes.

The Electroblock story sounds like a case of mishearing / misunderstanding. It's only a power unit for mains to 12 volt and I have never heard of such an item being affected by frost.

Being a "Belt & Braces" type I put in an electric fan assisted greenhouse heater in each van touring and motor. Set them to switch on when temp drops to five degrees, so in theory the vans will not freeze. I still drain everything down of course, plus block off the fridge vents with insulation. Does anyone out there do any thing to stop the batteries freezing?????? Our touring van has the battery locker inside the van with the door on the outside, but the motorhome has them both in the engine compartment.

Hi Maggie its like a control box with little circuit boards and fuses in which controls the electrics in the van it was very very cold when ours went. Brian thanks for more technical take on it, glad you put I it would hate anyone to cook their electrblock, but if it is very cold worth keeping a eye on it. Carol.

wild rover

We have never removed the toilet waste tank when laying the 'van up, just emptied it and put in a dose of Aquakem. It can then be used occasionally by rinsing from a bottle as you describe.

The above is for infrequent use, if we are away in the 'van during the winter, then we use everything as normal.

No. its not neccessary to remove the holding tank. But, I have seen advice where one would leave the flap open during winter. Last year on tour ours jammed solid. I was glad it was closed as I was able to remove it and do a repair. If it is open for the winter and the rubbers jam it, you will have great difficulty removing the tank.

If your motorhome has a diaphragm-type water pump (usually made by ShurFlo or Fiamma), you might think it wise to isolate the pump completely from the freshwater supply if your vehicle is to stand idle throughout the winter. This would involve disconnecting the hoses from the pump's inlet and outlet and then running the pump for a minute or so until it's evident there's no water left inside.

Ranger - 2009-11-30 12:12 AM

Does anyone out there do any thing to stop the batteries freezing?????? Our touring van has the battery locker inside the van with the door on the outside, but the motorhome has them both in the engine compartment.

Keep them charged and they will be good for about -60c, if they are fully discharged will freeze at 0c.

Hymer C 9. - 2009-11-30 3:55 PM

Hi Maggie its like a control box with little circuit boards and fuses in which controls the electrics in the van it was very very cold when ours went. Brian thanks for more technical take on it, glad you put I it would hate anyone to cook their electrblock, but if it is very cold worth keeping a eye on it. Carol.

Thanks Carol it apears we dont have one.

I've just purchased a convector heater with a frost sensor built in.

As soon as the temperature in the MH drops below 5 deg C, it comes on to the lowest setting on the thermostat and switches itself back off once the temperature climbs.

The internal temperature yesterday afternoon was 3 degrees before I switched the heater on and I went out to check it before going to bed last night. It had warmed up to 10 degrees, while the external temperature had dropped to below freezing.

Everything is drained down as well.

Thetford Green cassette fluid acts as an anti-freeze down to -20C.

From memory other similar products may also have antii-freeze but check with the makers.

I live near the sea with a mild climate but If the weathe forecast is for a couple of nights or more of frost I drain the water system and carry seprate containers for drinking and flushing water.

I have an old 'van with outdoor tanks and pipework but guess it would take longer for frost to take hold in a modern van with double floor and indoor tanks.

I bought a plug in thermostat from B&Q which I have set for 5 Degrees and have a fan heater plugged into it. It has a max' and min' function so you can see the temp's the van has reached. I checked mine today before connecting it and it got down to -8.9 Degrees last night. The fan heater will definitely be on tonight. I've also put my screen covers on as well.

We have never put heaters in ours or when we had caravans, in the winter.

We would open it up if we had a nice dry breezy day just for an airing.

Now we use it all year.

We do keep all cupboards and lockers open when not in use, never had a problem with salt, sugar etc getting damp.

We always drain down when very cold weather is forcast.

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2009-12-02 7:50 PM

Interesting thread ... we've never put any heating whatsoever into any of our motorhomes over winter and there's never been a problem ... is it REALLY necessary?

Discuss ..... :-D

Neither have we and neither have we ever had a problem!

Archived