Screws and caps

hbarnett

I have tried and failed to locate the type of screws and caps used where they show on furniture and fixtures throughout my Lunar Champ. The pozi heads of the screws are drilled into the centre to accept a stalk on the caps. They are so much better than the caps with a male part to press into conventional screws, which are readily available in all the DIY sheds etc. They stay in place because they are more difficult for my anke biters to pull out, ha! I have a neighbour in the furniture trade, showed him and he has not seen the likes before.

Anyone out there ever used them?

Howie.

Have you tried Lunar ? they are still in Business aren't they ?

Important this ; as i'm thinking of buying a second hand Lunar X-star,

and the supply of special 'Bits' are an important consideration.

I know they are still making Caravans but motorhomes ? their website isn't much help. Ray

Guest Tracker

These sound to me a bit like mirror screws which have a threaded hole in the head to take a chromed domed screw in cap?

These are sometimes available from the usual DIY sheds but stocking seems to be a low priority and they are bloody expensive for what they are?

hbarnett - 2009-12-03 9:14 AM

....The pozi heads of the screws are drilled into the centre to accept a stalk on the caps....

All the 'capped' furniture screws used in my Hobby are like that, but I've never seen this type of screw in the UK (nor in France), nor have I come across the design of 'stalked' screw-cover that fits them. When I wanted some spare caps to colour-match the originals I eventually had to settle for the common type with a 'cross' projection and use standard Pozidriv screws to match.

Hi you may be talking about "Confirmat" screws, which were exactly as you describe. 10 years ago when I was making kitchens we used these for carcase construction, here's a link to some pictures. http://www.thefind.com/hardware/info-confirmat-screw

I have just had a look at Hart Wholesale who used to supply them, but they don't appear to do so anymore. They are an excellent method of building carcases, much better than carcase screws.

You could just put a dab of silicon on an ordinary cap, its what we used to do with the standard screws, worked well.

Olley

Mickydripin - 2009-12-06 11:00 PM

I have used Screwfix a few times and they are very good but if I email them or log on to them I get a virus on my computer every time has anyone else had this problem

That's a worrying statement - have you contacted Screwfix about this?

I would guess (and it is very much a guess) that your computer's security software is uncomfortable with the Screwfix website and warns you of a virus even though it's something technical (but otherwise harmless) that is causing your software to react.

I dont think so I have a good virus checker (Bullguard) and I have no problems with it but if I run Screwfix it come`s up that I have a virus and each time I run my checker I look to see what the virus is it says Screwfix I have contacted Screwfix but they do not seam to care so if they send me an email now I do not open it send it to the spam box.

I notice that the Bullguard UK website

http://www.bullguard.com/uk.aspx

has a forum and (from a brief glance through the postings) it seems that there is a preparedness to investigate user problems. You might want to ask about your 'Screwfix virus' there. The more protective security software becomes (and/or the higher the level of protection a user selects), the greater the likelihood that false alarms will be reported by the software.

Hi they may work, we never needed to use the confirmat caps as all the screws where hidden by the carcase next to it, and we dowled end panels on.

My party trick when doing my pitch was to put a half sized carcase on the floor and jump on it, try doing that with a B&Q one.

Olley

I saw today in our local WILKINSON store ,for 69p a packet of about 50 screw caps, they consisted of a small dish shaped piece with a hole in it,which you thread the screw through before fixing and when the screw is tightened as required there is a small cap which is then inserted into the dished part of the fitting, the finished item looked about the size of an aspirin, is this what you are looking for? it can be used for Phillips screws and Cabinet screws, :-) :-) :-)

Archived