internet access-datawind ubisurfer

LinofDe

Has anyone used one of these devices? They sound too good to be true for anyone who needs internet access on the move in the UK and in other countries. £150 to purchase including 1 years subscription for up to 30 hours a month in the UK and charged abroad 5p per minute. It uses the vodafone network.

My big question is 'does it really work abroad'?

Not heard of this so did a quick Google. It costs £30 for 10 hours for using it in France and that is not bad in compared to other telephone data costs. Might not be as good as cheap WiFi but sometimes thats not always cheap! To use my Vodafone Mobile Broadband in France it costs £10 a day with a 50MB download limit. Interesting ubisurfer is time limited rather than download limited although this is a fairly normal way of buying mobile internet in France it seems.

David

There is a forum for users of this kit and most people seem to think that it is quite slow and can be frustrating to use. They have the capability to be a good piece of equipment but the software on them lets it down.

The general thoughts are that if you have access to a laptop or notebook type computer then using that with a dongle gives quicker access to the internet. The lack of onboard memory also seems to bother some. Larger sites with lots of data do tend to break up because of the limited software.

Some people though were happy with it and thought that for just keeping in touch using e mail etc it was fine.

Although I haven't used a Datawind myself but basingour needs on what we needed from internet access when we were away in the earlier part of the year we decided to stick with the laptop and wifi for now, then getting a dongle when we go away next year. Finding sites, banking and booking ferries etc would seem to be better that way.

They are a development of the Pocketsurfer series and the usage model is based the same i.e. abroad on time rather than how much you download (at home you get free time per month). The concept is good, as was/is the Pocketsurfer but they work excrutiatingly slowly at times (they use the GSM data network rather than the faster 3G), costing more money of course as it is time based, and usage is a bit like the old dialup conection compared to Broadband.

I have a Pocketsurfer 2 and it has been useful but ultimately it is only just satisfactory to use and now, as I have not bought another years use, it is a completely useless bit of kit as it does nothing else but talk to Datawinds servers. The Ubiserfer is the same AFAIK.

Personally I could not recommend buying one, that is any of the Datawind products, due to their limited use.

Bas

Archived