2010 acsi book

mgain

So it looks like Vicarious is the place to go. 8=)

I believe the CD/DVD is out soon. Is that worth having, as well or instead?

Ditto "Go Motorhoming Europe". That was last published in 2006 and the next one's not due for some months. Is the current edition too old to be worth buying now?

TIA,

Roger

RogerGW - 2009-12-08 6:02 PM

So it looks like Vicarious is the place to go. 8=)

Roger

Not sure about the DVD but have pre-ordered (and paid - that saves 2.5% from disappearing into the government's pockets ;-) ) anyway as twice as many camp sites on that compared to the book apparently - due to arrive in January 2010.

I am soooo glad I checked the site when I was bored at work today - we missed the 2 emails sent to tell us the card & book were available - think they went to our spam file! :-S - Quick 'phone call as soon as I read this thread and the book should be with us before we leave for Aachan late on Friday... :-D Can't wait, we were not intending to use camp sites on this trip but with the freezing temperatures would like to use the electric heating over night to stop the frozen pipe problems.... (had those 2 years ago and didn't like it much! :-( )

Hi,

They are both very good, but its worth noting that they are completely different, in that the DVD is a very good campsite guide+ containing for 2010 8600 sites.

The ACSI book that i think this thread is generally about is primarily a Low Season Discount card scheme covering 1891 sites, the card does come with a small campsite guide that is specific to those 1891 campsites that will accept the discount card.

Its also worth noting that the DVD will ALSO show nearly all of the 1891 sites that accept the Camping Card, usually marked (cc) but you will not be able to obtain the discounts unless you have the ACSI Camping Card.

We only ever purchased the ACSI Camping Card as we already have a number of campsite guides, and you can access the ACSI web site reasonably easily which allows you to carry out searches etc, very similar to the DVD albeit you will need a Internet connection for the web site.

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/

Hope that helps

RogerGW - 2009-12-08 6:02 PM

Roger

RogerGW - 2009-12-09 8:59 PM

Thanks, both.

Any thoughts on the "Go Motorhoming Europe" book, anyone?

Roger

Hi,

I think the Go Motorhoming book is a general guide rather than a sites listing book although I haven't read it.

Are you thinking of the All the Aires books which lists . . . . aires (several contributed by us!)

Not sure when the third edition is due possibly next year

Steve

Am I right in saying that the 'All the Aires France' book (ie the one in English) doesn't actually give all the aires in France?

I think it's only the French aires bookes that do that isn't it?????

Can someone please confirm this as I've actually not read the English book. :-S

Mel

you are right. All the aires does not give all of the aries, but they have all been vetted, they say. You find different Aires in the different French

books, even they vary, so worth having more than one of them, if you want to use only aires.

PJay

I think the Go Motorhoming book is a general guide rather than a sites listing book although I haven't read it.

Thanks, Steve. Yes, I know what it is (and no, I'm not confusing it with anything else). I'm trying to find out if it's worth buying and, if so, would the present edition be too old.

Roger

Hi Roger

It depends on what you intend to do with it really - if you need to read up on motorhoming in general then it might be useful, but obviusly you've got to bear in mind that it will be at least 3 years out of date, could be 4 years depending on when it was actually compiled (not published).

There is the motorhome manual produced by John Wickersham (2nd edition) published in 2007 for all things motorhome (ie technical and maintenance stuff).

Various other books will cover advice on travelling abroad in your motorhome.

What are you thinking it will help you with? :-S

Thanks, Mel. I'm trying to get an idea of the book's value as a general guide to motorhoming abroad.

I'm aware that the site descriptions will be long in the tooth (see my original question) but I wonder if this negates the book's value as an introductory text.

Do you know the book? If so, what's your opinion of it? And if you think other books would serve better, I'd be glad of suggestions.

Regards,

Roger

Hi, Roger

I have just been looking at the web site for Go-Motorhoming Europe and It appears Steve (Homenaway) is correct, have a look at the link below hopefully it should explain itself.

http://www.go-motorhoming.co.uk/

Hope that helps

RogerGW - 2009-12-10 8:22 PM

Thanks, Mel. I'm trying to get an idea of the book's value as a general guide to motorhoming abroad.

I'm aware that the site descriptions will be long in the tooth (see my original question) but I wonder if this negates the book's value as an introductory text.

Do you know the book? If so, what's your opinion of it? And if you think other books would serve better, I'd be glad of suggestions.

Regards,

Roger

Hi,

You didn't I was just trying like most of the others to be helpful,

RogerGW - 2009-12-10 9:07 PM

I have just been looking at the web site for Go-Motorhoming Europe and It appears Steve (Homenaway) is correct...

Where have I said he was wrong about it?

Roger

Archived