Remis Remifront Blinds

Hazy Baby

Some time ago I asked for advice re a Rapido 903 A Class that we are thinking of buying. As there doesn't seem to be one in stock in the whole of the UK we are still undecided whether to order. As said previously, buying "off plan" i,e from looking at pretty pictures in a brochure can be foolhardy!! So this is another plea for any info on above motorhome - has anyone got one? - if so any problems? If we don't order this year we are considering buying remis blinds for the windscreen and side cab windows of our present van a Knaus Traveller. Has anyone experience of fitting these blinds please? Hubby fairly competent in the DIY stakes, so is it a straightforward job? And how good are they re privacy and insulation? Thanks in advance for any advice on either topic.

Can't help you with the Rapido but I did install a set of Remis cab blinds to our Warwick Duo in the summer. We find them excellent, particularly in the summer as it saves having to put up the silver screen. We also use them when it's parked up at home as it means nobody can see into the cab area, or through to the habitation area for that matter. They are very quick to open and close, probably takes around 30 seconds. Side vision is very slightly impaired, nothing to worry about though.

As far as fitting them is concerned, I wouldn't say it is easy, but it's not too difficult. Definitely needs two pairs of hands for the screen blind. Not sure of your base vehicle but it's a lot easier fitting them to the Fiat X250 than the Peugeot as the latter has a parcel shelf that makes installation much more difficult. It took me most of the day to fix, but that's to a Peugeot, but having done it once I could probably do it in a couple of hours now.

I've written an installation guide with photos that you can find on MHF Members Motorhoming Guides forum. If you're a member go and have a look.

Roly

Hi, sorry, don't have information on the Rapido but have had Remis blinds before which are excellent for privacy and keeping the sun out during the day. Didn't find they were that effective at insulating the windscreen in winter though and still used silver screens to stop the condensation.

I can't remember the exact issue but there was an article, I recall, in MMM some time back that covered DIY fitting of these.

David

Hazy Baby - 2009-12-08 2:10 PM Some time ago I asked for advice re a Rapido 903 A Class that we are thinking of buying. As there doesn't seem to be one in stock in the whole of the UK we are still undecided whether to order. As said previously, buying "off plan" i,e from looking at pretty pictures in a brochure can be foolhardy!! So this is another plea for any info on above motorhome - has anyone got one? - if so any problems? If we don't order this year we are considering buying remis blinds for the windscreen and side cab windows of our present van a Knaus Traveller. Has anyone experience of fitting these blinds please? Hubby fairly competent in the DIY stakes, so is it a straightforward job? And how good are they re privacy and insulation? Thanks in advance for any advice on either topic.

Rapido are based at Mayenne, just North of Laval, so not too far South from Caen.  I believe it is possible to visit the factory by arrangement.  Alternatively, e-mail them and ask for a dealer in Northern France with one in stock.  Many French commercial hotels do special deals at weekends, because the reps have all gone home.  I'd expect Laval to have a Campanile and/or an Ibis.  Would seem worthwhile investment in relationship to the cost of the van.  You'll also see how much they cost in France, which may get your little grey cells racing a bit!  :-)

Fitting Remis blinds is fiddly, but not especially difficult, provided you can handle nuts, bolts, drills and PK screws!  However, I would have thought the cost and fiddle might be of questionable value if you'll only keep the van another year.

They give excellent privacy.  They are a little fragile, so need handling with reasonable care rather than ham-fistedly.  They do not claim, or give, insulation.  They are black out/privacy blinds.

Guest Tracker

Remis windscreen and side window blinds are very easy to fit as long as you have some basic diy skills and a bit of common sense.

If you do get stuck you can always read the instructions which are, so I am told, easy to follow!

Me? - I reckon instructions are for wimps!

Brian and everyone, thanks for your replies. A trip to the factory in Mayenne is certainly a possibility as we seem to pass or be near there most times we are in France. So maybe next year.........? As for the remis blinds they sound as if hubby would manage the fitting (!) and they may be a worthwhile investment a) for us whilst we have the Knaus and b) when we come to sell. At the moment the van is spacious enough for us until darkness falls and then it is either sit in the cab with lights blazing and on view (not so good if I am in night attire!) or pull down the concertina blind to shut off the cab. Then of course we have reduced the internal space. So at the moment lots to decide about. Thanks again.

Guest Tracker
Hazy Baby - 2009-12-08 7:59 PM

At the moment the van is spacious enough for us until darkness falls and then it is either sit in the cab with lights blazing and on view (not so good if I am in night attire!) or pull down the concertina blind to shut off the cab.

You may well find that the newer windscreen blinds pull out from each side to meet in the middle which gives you the option of shutting out a glarey sun but, at least in my view, not the better option to partly pull it up from the bottom such that it shuts out viewers in but still allows you a limited view out which is what you get with the older vertical operating versions?

Also in some cases the top rail can obstruct the view out for taller drivers but I would suspect that this is less of an issue on an A class than on a coachbuilt?

Thanks Tracker! We would be thinking of purchasing the new variety of blinds that meet in the middle and to fit our existing coachbuilt of course. The problem at the moment is privacy at night when the van lights are on. We don't like the idea of external silver screens as have seen too many folk struggling putting wet ones away and we don't tend to stay put for very long on any one site/aire. So we will mull things over at Christmas/New Year and make a decision re new A Class or tarting up the existing van!

We fitted the newer Remis Blinds that meet in the middle and are very pleased with them, we dont leave them closed in the winter(we dont use the van then) we have an external silver screen we use while its laid up.

My O.H. had to make a slight adjustment to the rear view mirror which leaves more space for the blind to close, a second pair of hands ie; in our case MINE make it a bit easier.

A tip for when driving! two elastic (garter type) with Velcro sewn to use as a fastener, stops any annoying rattles. And we are very pleased with them .

I think I may have said this before, but, if you are DIY-ing Remifront blinds, you need to be careful about the metal 'swarf' that will inevitably be produced when holes in the door-frames are drilled. These blinds have magnetic closure strips that will attract any metal bits/dust. This will subsequently rust and bond with the closure strips. I suggest placing masking-tape on the strips before blind-fitting commences and, after the fitting has been completed, vacuum-cleaning every nook and cranny in the blind framework. Then you can safely remove the masking tape.

Archived