eberspacher problem

njw

Was it very loud?

Possibly the diesel pump for the burner. If this is badly mounted I believe it can be noisy.

Other noises can come from the air circulation fan - but this tends to be a "tinkle" (that will bring on the silly comments!).

Clive

As Clive advises, there have been previous comments about obtrusive noise from diesel-fuelled heaters' metering pumps. This may be due to the pump having been rigidly mounted on the motorhome's chassis rather than via a vibration-damping device (eg. a rubberised clamp or rubber 'hanger'). You really need to identify where the clicking noise is coming from to have some idea of whether or not you should be concerned.

I have one and they make a ticking noise when they first fire up, it lasts whilst the thing it running at full output to warm things up then drops back to a slower and quieter tick. A superb heater but a bit heavy on the battery at start up (the glow plug).

By the way there are few engineers who truly understand these units, if you get stuck I know of one such man.

Geoff

thank you all .I will still be having this van ,it is a trigano tribute the clicking is at every 2 seconds so hopefully it is not a serious problem .geoff if you could let me have the fitters name by email would be great many thanks all

njw - 2009-12-14 4:37 PM

hi derek now you have put a spanner in the works .i was just going buy what the existing owener told me but you could be right i will let you all know when i have the van

Come now - you know I'm always right! ;-)

I'm sure that all Trigano Tributes start life with a Webasto 2kW air-heater, but it's possible, of course, that 'yours' has an Eberspacher replacement.

I notice that there's a UK forum dedicated to the Tribute:

http://www.tribby.co.uk/forum/

Eberspacher and Webasto diesel heaters (water and blown air) both use the same type of impulse metering fuel pumps so I would expect the same noise. As above the volume of the 'tick' all depends on the mounting of the pump and the fuel pipes to and from them.

The noise is correct, how loud depends in the quality of the installation.

hallii - 2009-12-13 11:19 AM

I have one and they make a ticking noise when they first fire up, it lasts whilst the thing it running at full output to warm things up then drops back to a slower and quieter tick. A superb heater but a bit heavy on the battery at start up (the glow plug).

By the way there are few engineers who truly understand these units, if you get stuck I know of one such man.

Geoff

That's because there's not a lot to understand. If you've ever had one to bits you'd see why. The only real bit that's not fairly easy is the electronic control box. But if that goes wrong you buy another.

They do make a regular click whilst working and it's just the solenoid diesel pump.

We now have a problem with our Ebespacher Airtronic.

It starts okay but after a minute or two of heat coming out it cuts back again to a slow tickover and very little heat.

Have tried various heat settings and also had the van on mains hook up.

The leisure battery is new and is showing as fully charged.

Could it be a thermostat problem?

Unless you have one of the few installations with an external thermostat yours will be built into the heater unit itself. It could be a partial blockage in the air pipes, have you checked the combustion air inlet and exhaust? Maybe choked with dirt this time of the year.

If you don't have manuals and fault finding guides they are available on Eberspacher's support pages at http://www.eberspacher.com/support-and-downloads/technical-documents.html

Rod.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived