Ford or Fiat

GypsyTom

I think flicka is referring to Westfalia's "WestVan". See:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14810&posts=25

It might be educational to put some of the current Ford-based Hobbys on a weighbridge. I've been looking back through my Hobby brochures and, over time, all the Ford-based FWD models seem to have become simultaneously better specified as standard and gained extra payload. This is despite the chassis remaining at 3500kg and the size of the vehicle and interior layout remaining unaltered. Perhaps there's an anti-gravity unit fitted that Hobby fails to mention!

previously I was a Merc man through and through until I road tested the X250 3ltr and I can assure anyone who is considering buying one to go ahead. The road holding and ride comfort certainly is a plus due to the wide track and front and rear torsion bars. The 3ltr engine is in a class of its own and the fuel economy is very good. The transmission does have the reverse gear judder but nowhere as bad as the 2.3ltr. Not every one that I'm aware of has experienced the problem, or they might be in denial. The 3ltr engine was originally designed for use in the American Army Hummer combat vehicle and is capable of powering vehicles up to 6.5tonnes so based on that it is a very versatile unit. My motorhome is an Autotrail EKS Tracker and was up graded to the 3ltr at my request. Have I any regrets? Absolutely not. There are larger more luxurious ones around than mine but it fits the bill in many ways for us and we are very happy with the build quality. We bought it from Richard Baldwins at Copley near Halifax and to us they are a very good company to deal with, their after sales support is to be considered about the best in the country.

Although WestVan still appears on Westfalia's website, I'm not sure if you can actually buy one.

There was speculation in French motorhome magazines as to whether the Burtsner Prismo T-626G (of which the WestVan was a clone) would be the basis of a new range or was just a styling exercise. With Burstner now having ditched the Transit as a base-vehicle, I'm doubtful that Westfalia would be in a position to build a coachbuilt motorhome using its own resources. I can't find any mention of WestVan in current motorhome listings.

Guest JudgeMental

I remember the near identical Bursner prismo/westfalia westvan being discussed before. There are still lot's for sale over on mobile.de

Westfalia have a reputation for solid, practical construction......if this is more burstner or westfalia you would need to look. but if a re badged burstner and not really a Westphalia at all, it's a bit of a fraud IMO

the shortage of the ford chassis for motorhomes is a bit worrying

edit: just had a look at some pictures and the westvan interior looks up to the usual westfalia standard and far better then the Prismo.......probably why it is more expensive. but they are near identical outside.

Hi Judge

It's a pity if the Westfalia West Van is no longer available.

The Quality of the West Van internal fittings & work exceeded any Burstner we looked at and it had the advantage of being able to extend the worktop area by sliding part of the transverse rear bed backwards. It's Garage was similarly impressive.

It was certainly a Van to aspire too (for us) but with the options we required it put it out of our budget.

The only other Motorhome with this capability that I am aware of is the Autocruise Sportstar (abiet a different sliding method) which we now have.

Although the Burnster may resemble the West Van, the exterior was IMHO quite unique.

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Flika, I have looked at more pictures of the Prismo and westvan and while exteriors look the same, the interior is in a different class with the westy

we have very fond memory's of our VW T3 Westfalia (USA import) We paid 7.5k for it and got 6.5 back seven years later........The interior was no different then when we purchased it including the fabrics, the quality is superb. There are lots for sale new and used on German site I may put one on the shortlist for the eventual downsize :-D

I wonder if the demise of these 2 models is because the twin rear wheeled drive 2.4 transit is no longer??

this is all very well but not helping Tom much as not the layout he desires:-D

Guest JudgeMental
Derek Uzzell - 2009-12-16 6:38 PM

JudgeMental - 2009-12-16 6:12 PM

...I wonder if the demise of these 2 models is because the twin rear wheeled drive 2.4 transit is no longer??...

Wherever did you get that idea from?

I thought I read it somewhere......Doh! seems I was wrong *-)

Its a shame these are no more, as It would probablly be a better bet then a PVC

Archived