Christmas Blues

Mel B

I've just been putting up the Christmas decorations, tree etc and I really am not a happy bunny. :-( As soon as the suitcase came down out of the attic I could feel a 'wave' of what I can only describe as gloom envelop me! I've put them up, out, stuck them here there and everywhere but haven't put as much out as normal - hubby obviously realised I wasn't a happy bunny - probably the way I was trying to untangle the fairy lights gave him a clue ... the scissors nearly came out! So we haven't gone quite as mad as normal, not that we go that mad anyway, and we haven't put the external lights out either but that's more to do with the 3 inches of snow!

I don't know why but I really don't like all the decor about - Christmas has never been a really 'happy' time for me (too many bad memories from my childhood) but hubby loves it so I try to be 'festive' for him. But I've never felt this 'wave' of gloom so markedly before ... maybe it's because I'm really tired at the moment and am well and truly ready for a break.

Anyone else get like this? If so, any suggestions on how to banish the gloom????

:-|

Hi Mel B.

If you didn't see it try to watch Fern Britton interviewing Sheila Hancock on BBC iPlayer BBC 1 Sunday Morning 10 am. Another lady who doesn't like Christmas. Might give you some ideas how to overcome this feeling.

Keep happy.

Too many doom mongers on the news Mel. One minute they are moaning that people are not spending which will result in the recession lasting longer. Then when it's reported that spending has increased, they start whinging on about how people are getting into debt to pay for Christmas.

Then there is Gordan Brown promising billions of our money to other countries, when his own country is in the sh*t.

It's enough to depress anybody. Still keep your chin up and if you have the love of your family and a roof over your head and enough food on the table you have plenty to be happy about.

Feeling very depressed, so came back on to the forum to see what you lot were up to. Mum passed away this morning so Christmas is never going to be the same again.

Good thing is that it wasn't a shock, it had been expected. Unlike a lot of folk, and some of you i'm sure, I had her for 64yrs which I have to be thankful for. Like every parent she will be missed but I will always be grateful for her love and her affection and also her wicked sense of humour.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year all of you,

and i will be back on in the New Year.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2009-12-20 11:28 PM

Feeling very depressed, so came back on to the forum to see what you lot were up to. Mum passed away this morning so Christmas is never going to be the same again.

Good thing is that it wasn't a shock, it had been expected. Unlike a lot of folk, and some of you i'm sure, I had her for 64yrs which I have to be thankful for. Like every parent she will be missed but I will always be grateful for her love and her affection and also her wicked sense of humour.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year all of you,

and i will be back on in the New Year.

Dave

Dave,Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your mother.

Guest Tracker
kuta ri ri - 2009-12-21 3:42 PM

Hi Yah

condolences and commiserations to you both, and perhaps I can share some advice a good friend of mine once gave me when I was in similar circumstances,

"No matter how far down the ladder of life you think you are, look down! there's always somebody looking up!"

Hope it helps Kuta ri ri ;-)

Old Chinese proverb say -

Never go down ladder without knickers on!

Can I thank everyone for your kind words and thoughts.I think that when I made the post I was feeling very down and feeling a bit sorry for my self.

Sorry if I mucked your thread up Mel

I,v buck up a lot now, have been busy all day yesterday and today arranging things, so it has taken my mind off events. So thank you once again everyone.

I said mum had a wicked sense of humour in the earlier post, well this was her type of humour.

She was in hospital a long while ago and was asked to give a urine sample, which she did. A short time later nurses, doctor's and the matron all rushed around her bed, obviously there was something wrong and they were looking at a serious case of diabetes, they had never seen such a high sugar level before. Mum new the game was up and told them that she had swapped the urine for Lucozade. Matron was very unhappy, cleared the bedside and gave mum the biggest rollicking she ever had. 

When she was leaving hospital the matron called her into a side office and said to her, "at least I now know how fast my nurses can run and I hope I don't see you again"

With that, she gave her a big smile and a wink and told her to go.

Quite a few years later, mum heard that the matron had died, so she went and slipped into the back of the funeral service, said a prayer for her, then slipped out again, first turning to the coffin and gave it a big wink.

That was the kind of person she was, Poor in wealth, Rich in humour.

Dave 

Archived