A visit to Southern Ireland in May & June 2010

Lord Raindrop

Guest JudgeMental
Lord Raindrop - 2009-12-27 11:24 PM

Thanks, Swansea to Cork seems a better route with less driving.

Its a nice route...brings you up through Cove harbour and up the river Lee past where my Mum was born in Inshera into the heart of Cork. where I was born.

There now, you made me cry :-)

Guest Tracker

The Irish tourist board used to send you a book of Irish campsites - free if you asked them nicely - have a look on their website.

Many Irish camp sites never used to open until early June which might make touring in May a little more interesting!

Never drive through a pothole unless either you can see the bottom or the car in front successfully managed it as some are reputed to be bottomless!

Take a decent toolkit and be prepared for rattles and things coming loose on some of the 'country' roads.

Guest JudgeMental

Some of the main roads are much improved due to EU grants, The quality of driving is not! Be extra vigilant at all times and expect the unexpected......driving standards in Ireland are truly terrible. The west coast of Cork then up into Kerry, on to Clare and weather permitting Galway.

get a good guide book for a pittence here: not the latest editions but I doubt yuu would notice.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?bt.x=75&bt.y=9&kn=ireland+travel+guides&sortby=3

Most sites open in April or early May - some earlier depending on the Easter Bank holiday. In West Cork my favourites are The Hideaway in Skibbereen, Dowlings in Glengarrif, and Eagle Point in Bantry (no dogs allowed here though). In Kerry you can't miss Wavecrest in Derrynane - in a stunning location - and Mannix Point in Caherciveen - this won an award for the 'Best Welcome' in 2009. The Glenross in Glenbeigh is also very nice and in a really nice village. The are plenty of sites in Killarney and the Woodlands Park in Tralee is also very good. Another favourite is Nagles in Doolin in Co Clare this is again in a fantastic location with the Cliffs of Moher in the distance and great music on the local pubs. A word of warning though when you travel the Ring of Kerry if you have a big Motorhome make sure you travel the same way as the tour buses. They are only allowed to travel in one direction and you should go the same way - in high season there are loads of them and the roads can be quite narrow in places - don't let it put you off though.

I hope you enjoy your trip in what is a great corner of Ireland. As another member recommended check out the following web site http://www.camping-ireland.ie/index.html

Have a great trip :-D

Archived