going to New Zealand taking our own motorhome

atlantisbird

atlantisbird - 2010-01-07 1:15 AM

Hello Alstair,

We have actually been to Barrons in New Zealand and spent 2 hours looking, we think it is in Taupo or Lake Taupo. The prices were higher than the orbiting space station when we looked December/January 2008-9 that is why we are considering taking our own. But from what information and advice we have received on this forum it is making us think more clearly. Barons NZ did have an Auction advertised while we were there in late December 2008 but we were off to Christchurch that week.

By the way for all those thinking of going to New Zealand it is like it was here 30-40 years ago with people showing a lot of respect!!!!!

We are all here in the UK snuggling up to the roaring fires while the country grinds to a halt for a few inches of snow.

Warmest regards,

Ann & Harry

Hi Ann & Harry,

I've never looked at Barrons but I know motorhomes from dealers can be expensive.

We're thinking of you all in the UK as we read about and see film of your dreadful weather. Here in Christchurch we had 29 degrees on Christmas day and hit 35 one day last week. Many days over the last week or two have been in the 26-33 range. However, we can have 35 one day and 14 the next. Our little rock in the Southern Ocean has a climate that is frequently windy and can change abruptly. We try to escape from our often very cold winter and head to the UK & Europe each year. Doing that to avoid bad weather has not always been successful - we were in the UK late July 2007! We've never seen such rain!

I'm pleased you found Kiwis respectful. We also have our share of low-lifes and the NZ experience of some tourists is spoiled by contact with them. Hopefully, the vast majority of visitors avoid them and enjoy being here.

I hope you can make your adventure happen. Our three months UK/Europe sojourn each year is done in our middle-aged Autosleeper Duetto and we enjoy it very much, despite the often-dodgy weather. Not a lot of space but OK for that time. You will no doubt be aiming for something a little larger.

Alistair

Hello Frank in Toronto,

Did you buy the Rialta in canada and if so how much ( whenever you meet a Yorkshireman ,me, that is usually the first question. Also is there a better dealership in Canada than say Texas where we have been told that the snowbirds sell them off rather than take them all the way back. Or is this a myth.

Kindest regards

Ann & Harry

atlantisbird - 2010-01-07 11:55 AM

Hello Frank in Toronto,

Did you buy the Rialta in canada and if so how much ( whenever you meet a Yorkshireman ,me, that is usually the first question. Also is there a better dealership in Canada than say Texas where we have been told that the snowbirds sell them off rather than take them all the way back. Or is this a myth.

Kindest regards

Ann & Harry

I bought the Rialta in Canada - at that time, Feb. 2004, they were $50-$55k USD street price. With exchange, etc. I paid $72k CDN$ ( a big reduction that I got only by presenting a spreadsheet that showed my landed price importing from the US). These values all depend on exchange rates, and today the CDN$ is almost at par , so these figures are of historical interest only. The Rialta is no longer made (mine was one of the last - a few hundred were badged as 2005s, but they are identical to the 04s). There is no comparable RV made here today (FWD, 22ft.,VW fuel economy).

I am certain you will do better buying in the US, which is always cheaper than in Canada. Similar to buying in Germany pre-Euro-rise for UK citizens, from what I glean from the MH forums. I think the idea that"snowbirds sell them off rather than take them all the way back. " is a myth (or a salesman's line). Still, Texas is a good place to buy, as is Florida. For registration with no sales taxes, you may want to investigate this type of option: http://www.myrv.us/Pgs/RV/montana.htm

Alistair,

I was one of the founding members of The Gilberdyke Flood Action Group being one on the homes that were effected by the floods. It was a pain but these little things are sent to try us all, then we roll up our sleeves and get on with it.

Your middle aged Dueto, do you leave it in Europe as we were thinking

how sensible it would be to have a vehicle in each of three continents,

America,Australasia and Europe the question then is how little can one spend to get the right type of reliable vehicle which will service our needs and can we afford to do it.

We used Top Ten Sites in New Zealand, joined their club and got 10% off every night they had everything email,washing,barbies kids areas away from us and cooking facilities. It was like going from say Travellodge to Travellodge clean, tidy, quiet. We did think that Twizel in South Island where the monster " Tanifaar" is in the lake was going to be a problem and at 10pm the partying was abruptly stopped and it went very quiet for the rest of the night this was after the rather large giant Mouri and his equally large ferocious dog came and said quietly SSSHHH.

Kindest regards

Ann & Harry

atlantisbird - 2010-01-08 4:25 AM

Alistair,

I was one of the founding members of The Gilberdyke Flood Action Group being one on the homes that were effected by the floods. It was a pain but these little things are sent to try us all, then we roll up our sleeves and get on with it.

Your middle aged Dueto, do you leave it in Europe as we were thinking

how sensible it would be to have a vehicle in each of three continents,

America,Australasia and Europe the question then is how little can one spend to get the right type of reliable vehicle which will service our needs and can we afford to do it.

We used Top Ten Sites in New Zealand, joined their club and got 10% off every night they had everything email,washing,barbies kids areas away from us and cooking facilities. It was like going from say Travellodge to Travellodge clean, tidy, quiet. We did think that Twizel in South Island where the monster " Tanifaar" is in the lake was going to be a problem and at 10pm the partying was abruptly stopped and it went very quiet for the rest of the night this was after the rather large giant Mouri and his equally large ferocious dog came and said quietly SSSHHH.

Kindest regards

Ann & Harry

Yes, the 2007 floods were horrendous. We're well used to seeing scenes of flooding here in NZ at times, but the extent of the damage in 2007 was astonishing. We stayed in Tewkesbury in 2009 and a local showed us where the water level had risen to just two years earlier. Amazing how well everything has recovered - it must have been a huge task for everyone affected.

We store our Duetto in Dorset while we're back in NZ. Our first task each year is to collect the van and move to the camping ground next door, then deal with the tax and MOT over the next day or so before setting off touring. Standing costs (storage, insurance, maintenance, MOT etc) are not trivial, but we're convinced that what we do is cheaper overall than touring by any other means, and we're in our own familiar space each night.

Top Ten are a good chain of camping grounds. You can rely on their having a good standard of facilities. The 10% discount is useful - we're members ourselves, although we don't go camping here as much as we used to. Most camps enforce late-night noise rules. We were once in a camping ground where a noisy tent had completely disappeared by morning - the occupants had been expelled from the camping ground in the middle of the night when they wouldn't be quiet.

Glad the taniwha (pronounced tanifar) didn't get you at Twizel!

Good luck working through the economics of your options.

Alistair

Archived