Speed stickers for France

Stuart

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have already asked the CC but all thye gave me was a press release dated July 8th which is suitably vague, presumably to avoid any comebacks.

I think I will have the 80, 90 & 100 handy and ask where I should stick them if I am stopped!!!

As I read the info to date, I will need a set for the van, 3800kg plus a set for the trailer 1600kg, both plated weights.

I can see this one going on for a long time yet.

Stuart

Guest Tracker

I find that a sat nav set in kph and set on top of the instrument pod works well as a more easily read speedo - just be aware that it's reading is reactive and a few seconds behind when accelerating and decelerating.

Cruise control is also handy when in long bits of restricted speed roads like towns and villages - but bear in mind that Les Gendarmes do not give the same 10% tolerance that our speed cameras do.

Tracker hasn't got up to 'speed' yet .... :D

One question though do we REALLY need to have them, for either vehicles up to 3500kg or over??? I'm still confused! 8-)

As we're looking to uprate our vehicle I'd be grateful for confirmation if anyone has it for definite - don't want to go putting loads of stickers on unnecessarily. :-S

Guest Tracker
Brambles - 2010-01-12 8:34 PM

Tracker - Have you cottoned on yet - speed stickers for rear of vehicle rquired by law to indicate maximum speed of vehicle. You see then on rear of international lorries.

Nope - I didn't cotton on - sorry - old age creepeth onwards!

Never used them in all my years round France. I have GB stickers, headlight stickers on Van, Smart car and trailer. Never entered my head and is it required for us to have them on? Where has this one cropped up from please ? Comapared to some of the vehicles i see in France we brits do more than enough to satisfy the law.

I know its late but happy new year to everyone and lets hope we get some sunshine on our travels this year. We deserve it after this winter.

Regards Vicwo

Tracker - 2010-01-13 9:58 AM

Tracker - Have you cottoned on yet - speed stickers for rear of vehicle rquired by law to indicate maximum speed of vehicle. You see then on rear of international lorries.

Old Age?, no at all. I expect you are just day dreaming of yoor net trip away in Motorhome.

Re - are these required? I gather in last few years France authorities said they ae required if over 3.5t but the police are not interested in ..errmm...policing it, however you never know when that might change.

I suspect what the original poster was trying to fnd out is where do you actually stick the things and there appears to be no firm guide.

Guest Tracker
Brambles - 2010-01-13 10:38 AM

Tracker - 2010-01-13 9:58 AM

Old Age?, no at all. I expect you are just day dreaming of yoor net trip away in Motorhome.

Re - are these required? I gather in last few years France authorities said they ae required if over 3.5t but the police are not interested in ..errmm...policing it, however you never know when that might change.

I suspect what the original poster was trying to fnd out is where do you actually stick the things and there appears to be no firm guide.

Day dreaming? Moi? You betcha!

I suspect that whilst these stickers might not be 'policed' it does give a copper who is having a bad day something to either stop you for or fine you for if he can't find anything else to grumble about?

Hi, I have a french motorhome, and have never seen anything about speed stickers. But I do know that the french are going to make it harder for owners of motorhomes over 3.5ton this year. maybe they have added this speed sticker bit on as well. I also thing that germany is bringing in a new green tax for motorhomes based on their weight this year, and that the italians are bring in a CO2 emissions check for cars etc older then 1997, its a stop and check law with a 800 euro fine if the car etc is over the set imissions, if this will also applie to non italian motorhomes I don,t know.

But one thing is for sure the cost of motorhoming is going to become higher from now.

michael

terry1956 - 2010-01-13 11:36 AM

Hi, I have a french motorhome, and have never seen anything about speed stickers. But I do know that the french are going to make it harder for owners of motorhomes over 3.5ton this year. maybe they have added this speed sticker bit on as well. I also thing that germany is bringing in a new green tax for motorhomes based on their weight this year, and that the italians are bring in a CO2 emissions check for cars etc older then 1997, its a stop and check law with a 800 euro fine if the car etc is over the set imissions, if this will also applie to non italian motorhomes I don,t know.

But one thing is for sure the cost of motorhoming is going to become higher from now.

michael

I know that this isn't ONLY about speed stickers, BUT whatever happened to 'Harmonisation of traffic law throughout the EU' ?? if differant countries start bringing in Various laws ( the German 'Umwelt' stickers being one), How the hell is 'Mr Joe Public' going to know that he isn't breaking some law or other as he innocently drives over a Border ??? surely If a Vehicle is Legal in it's Country of normal Residence (within the EU) then it is legal all around the EU ? If this is NOT the case How are Foreign Manufacturers allowed to sell Motorhomes in the UK, with Habitation doors on the WRONG side, and yet UK manufacturers are NOT allowed to sell theirs in wider Europe (even though they comply to 'whole vehicle type approval') because their habitation doors are on the correct side (but 'wrong' for them)?? Surely our MOT test pass means our vehicle, whatever weight and age is Legal to drive in europe ? (provided headlights do not dazzle).

I'm usually 'Pro-Europe' but becoming less so as time goes by and more Anti-this and Anti-That starts to 'Bubble out of Brussels.

>:-( >:-( Ray

HI folks,

I am aware that for French-registered camping-cars in excess of 3500 kg it is a requirement to have these so-called "speed stickers" showing the maximum allowed speed on autoroutes which have a limit of 130 kph then the heavy camping-car is limited to 110 kph, when the limit is 110 kph the for our case we have 100 kph. The indicated speed of 80 kph is for other roads not subject to a lower limit.

I regret that I am not aware if it is a requirement for vehicles registered outside of France to have these indications of speed limits. However, take the case of HGVs then vehicles registered outside of France don't show their limits on rear-mounted discs.

I will try to find out the information next week and then post it here.

J

It doesn't matter what the sticker says some people are speed crazy in their vans! We met a guy from Prague last year in Italy. He was moaning to me that his Rimor van on a 2008 Mercedes chassis wouldn't do more than 140KM per hour, yet his Brothers' 2007 one did 160! I didn't know you could breathe travelling at that speed!

Who the hell, apart from to guys from Prague approaches anything near 130KMPH when travelling in their vans abroad, and why?

Stunned of Warrington :-D

I'm not sure about the French making things harder in future for owners of over-3.5t motorhomes, but it was recently (finally) agreed that there's a 'loophole' in French driving-licence regulations that permits a (French) driver who obtained a Category B (ordinary car) entitlement before 20 January 1975 to drive 'person carrying' vehicles over 3.5t. The really brilliant thing about this is that (apparently) there is currently no vehicle upper weight limit!

Derek Uzzell - 2010-01-14 7:00 PM

I'm not sure about the French making things harder in future for owners of over-3.5t motorhomes, but it was recently (finally) agreed that there's a 'loophole' in French driving-licence regulations that permits a (French) driver who obtained a Category B (ordinary car) entitlement before 20 January 1975 to drive 'person carrying' vehicles over 3.5t. The really brilliant thing about this is that (apparently) there is currently no vehicle upper weight limit!

May be worthwhile buying an old coach, leave a few seats in the front and stick a bed in the back.

I did ask the RHA what their UK commercial members do in Europe, all I got back was that the regs vary from country to country, ah me!!

Stuart

Mel B - 2010-01-13 6:01 PM

terry1956 - 2010-01-13 11:36 AM

But I do know that the french are going to make it harder for owners of motorhomes over 3.5ton this year.

Can you clarify please Michael. :-S

For sure, in one of last years french motorhome mags, was a list of the new laws coming into force in 2010 for motorhomes over 3.5 ton, heath checks for drivers each year, mot check once a year, not one in two as normal in france, higner insurance cover. It also looks like the new weight level for new drivers maybe 3.2 ton.

michael

It is rumoured that similar changes will take place in the UK this year.

One change could well be medicals for anyone driving a van over 3.5 tonne, irrespective of age. It is ominous that other countries in Europe are pushing through changes.

If the Government does not advertise it, then there will be no fuss until it is too late and then they can blame the EU.

The over 3.5 Tonne change was noted in MMM mag some time ago.

For sure, in one of last years french motorhome mags, was a list of the new laws coming into force in 2010 for motorhomes over 3.5 ton, heath checks for drivers each year, mot check once a year, not one in two as normal in france, higner insurance cover. It also looks like the new weight level for new drivers maybe 3.2 ton.

michael

I don't remember reading any of this in French motorhome magazines, though I do recall lobbying for a European C1 driving-licence entitlement being mentioned.

Which magazine (and which issue) was this reported in, please?

Archived