Ventilation

Stuart

Derek Uzzell - 2010-01-21 8:36 AM

I believe there are guidelines - or perhaps even regulations - defining the amount of permanent ventilation a leisure-vehicle should have, and I vaguely recall seeing some figures, based (if I remember correctly) on the size of the vehicle's living area, in an older CAK brochure.

The regulations are laid down in BS EN 721:2004 Leisure accommodation vehicles - Safety ventilation requirements.

Some time ago I acquired a 'Final Draft' copy of EN 721 and it specifies the minimum high and low level ventilation requirements for a given range of vehicle 'plan areas'.

I am a bit loathe to post them here because I don't know whether the same figures were in fact used in the final published version. I'm not about to fork out the 70 odd quid needed to buy a copy, maybe someone has access to British Standards publications and could look it up?

Surprisingly (to me at least) no account seems to be taken of the type or number of gas appliances installed, or the number of people that the vehicle is designed to accommodate. It is these factors, and not the plan area, that are used for calculating the ventilation requirement of boats, as laid down in the BSi Code of Practice PD 5482-3:2005

Andy

To expand on my original post. I should say that we have diesel space heating and do not do a great deal of cooking, er indoors mutters about being on holiday would you believe. Our water heating is by gas but we do have a carbo monoxide alarm, tested as recently as today. We would use an electric fan heater as first choice but often stick the Webasto on for 10-15 minutes just to get the place comfortable quickly.

Stuart

Archived