Keukenhof gardens,Netherlands

zeddykay

We went with the Caravan & Camping Club on a rally in May a couple of years ago staying at Delft. They arranged trips out to flower festivals etc. and it was an easy drive to the Keukenhof Gardens. The campsite was on a bus route which took you straight into Delft where we cught a train to Amsterdam. There were lovely walks and cycle rides around lakes and canals from the campsite. All in all a very successful trip. Worth looking into. (lol)

zeddykay - 2010-01-26 8:13 PM

I would like to visit Keukenhof Gardens in April/ May. Can anyone recommend campsites with easy access to the gardens. Thanks in anticipation.

We used this one in 2008 from which to visit the Gardens http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/camping_koningshof.htm You can buy tickets at a slight discount from Reception. Its a superb place to visit.

David

We went last year at the end of March first week the gardens were open, that was a big mistake.

All the nearby campsites were still closed & we ended up wild camping, tried stopping in the gardens car park and got thrown out but the guy did tell us where to camp wild were the Police would not bother us.

Next day paid over 30quid for the 2 of us to see green grass and brown dirt with a few green stems & the a few crocus, complete waste of time & money.

Recommend you go in May late March early April is waste of time.

hi everyone

we looked into stopping here on the way back from our portugal trip..

which would have been last week in march..

€14 pp admission

€6 van parking...NO O/NIGHTING ALLOWED

€4 map of site

add to this cost of c/site & possible transport to site (!)

plus...if we had made a special trip

crossing cost

fuel to crossing point

it all starts to tot up doesn't it ...

mbh's friend goes on a lot of coach tours

trip to keukenhof bulbfields

3 day mini cruise

coach travel..on very nice vehicle..local pick up

every tue in april and 4th may

2 nights on n/sea ferry with ensuite cabin

transport & admission to gardens

£99 pp

can upgrade to 'meal deal'..full breakfast and 5 course dinner on outward and return crossings

£42 pp

ok ..i knowyou are missing out on the fun of m/homing ..but cost wise...if you don't live near to a crossing point it's quite a difference when you tot everything up

thanks lennyhb for your post...saves us bothering

cheers

berti

lennyhb - 2010-01-27 5:34 PM

We went last year at the end of March first week the gardens were open, that was a big mistake.

All the nearby campsites were still closed & we ended up wild camping, tried stopping in the gardens car park and got thrown out but the guy did tell us where to camp wild were the Police would not bother us.

Next day paid over 30quid for the 2 of us to see green grass and brown dirt with a few green stems & the a few crocus, complete waste of time & money.

Recommend you go in May late March early April is waste of time.

Lenny

Its a great pity you could not have arranged your visit for a bit later. We went in early May and it was superb. I suppose it does depend on the early Spring weather so the best time to visit is not an exact science, perhaps we were just lucky. If you follow this link and scroll down a bit you can see some pictures of what its like in full bloom http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/germany_calling_2008.htm

David

Hi David,

I often look at your site & looked at those before, you certainly had better luck than us. We often go away end of march as it's my wife's birthday.

Seeing your picture of the Brandenburg Gate we went to Berlin in December it was cold & wet, didn't take the van used Airmiles & Priority Club points (for hotel) so it was a freebee.

Some of my travel photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lennyhb

Keukenhof in March:

1232318834_HollandAmsterdamMarch2009040.jpg.fd2d46afaad1af72f630dec9126c06cc.jpg

2068043085_HollandAmsterdamMarch2009047.jpg.82dd737a87746a378da5ef0228219d7f.jpg

739615255_HollandAmsterdamMarch2009049.jpg.9416404b85088e95f8fdbfe58c9f2252.jpg

Just out of interest, we were there during an exhibition of various artists’ work, one example of which is the rather proud looking cat shown below. There were a group of Dutch ladies stood behind me when I took this photo. I could not understand the language used, but from the shrieks of laughter and general 'nudge, nudge' attitude it seemed pretty clear what was on their minds ;-)

cat.jpg.5ac0d687bf853c85ace78957c6c38c3b.jpg

I haven't been to Keukenhof for a few years and was surprised to read here that it was open as early as March. May is by far the best time to visit, when the daffodils are in bloom. My favourite site was Camping de Carlton (www.campingcarlton.nl) which is within easy reach of the gardens and close to Noordwijk aan Zee. It has friendly owners and is (was) a very clean site but a bit on the expensive side. Another possibility is Camping de Duinpan (www.campingdeduinpan.nl) which is nearby and cheaper, but have never camped there, although I have eaten at their restaurant.

Don't be put off by the negative comments here, Keukenhof ( and the bulb fields) are one of the wonders of Northern Europe.

Hi

I agree with maureend.

Well worth joining the C@CC rally at Delph.

We did this, sailing DFDS from Newcastled to Ijmuiden, which is approx 30 miles north of Delph. Gardens are in between.

Site easy walk from Deplh centre, lakeside walks, swimming etc next door to site.

Public trams to Hague, Rotterdam, Amsterdam,Scheveningham from Delph - Quick clean inexpensive services and rally team have trips organised if you wish to join them - no pressure.

Call Carefree for details.

Archived