NICKED

howie

After the arrest of four 'travellers' from the Gloucester area police reported a 47% drop in thefts of caravan and motorhomes over a three year period. Always assumed that some of these thefts were part of a organised ring, but amazed such numbers can be attributed to this one 'gang,' and the actual figures over a 12 month period are from 848 down to 454. Doubt our premiums will follow suit, but at least we can look forward to these travellers now facing up to the full weight and fury of the British judiciary system.

Oh no ... suspect it might be having a copper as a hubby TRUST KNOW ONE :D the first thing we did actually we orderd it to be installed before it left brownhill.

not sorry neither its great when I pull up in an aire or layby in france so tired from all the miles just flick it and alarm all the outside .. I jump about swing from the chandeliers :D dive out of the wardrobe and I know the thing is watching my back :D

And I aint been GASSED YET :D :D :D

Imagine the scenario, you are pitched up on site perhaps hundreds of miles from home. You decide to go out in your van site seeing, and you are quite a few miles from your camp site.

You park up in what you think is a safe place and eagerly you go out and have a look round some place of interest, after a couple of hours or so you decide to go back to your van for a brew and something to eat, you then get that sinking feeling when you find out that your pride and joy has been nicked, you are then right in the mire, what do you do then??? What would you do or suggest, answers please.

knight of the road - 2010-01-29 12:59 AM

Imagine the scenario, you are pitched up on site perhaps hundreds of miles from home. You decide to go out in your van site seeing, and you are quite a few miles from your camp site.

You park up in what you think is a safe place and eagerly you go out and have a look round some place of interest, after a couple of hours or so you decide to go back to your van for a brew and something to eat, you then get that sinking feeling when you find out that your pride and joy has been nicked, you are then right in the mire, what do you do then??? What would you do or suggest, answers please.

Same thing as if you came home and your house had burnt down -

- phone your insurance company.

:-(

And the number of times I have had people tell me about their 'van having been burgled and when asked about the alarm the answer was.

I didn't turn it on as I was just next door for a couple of mins to look at a map, have a coffee, or some other minor visit.

I didn't turn it on 'cos I was just popping into the supermarket for a loaf etc and would only be a minute.

I didn't turn it on as we were on a camp site and I was only popping over to the shower.

You pay a fortune for it - Turn it on!

Hence 'opportunist thief'. Must say that the biggest bugbear with motorhomes is the constant worry regarding security. Not a great worry, but always there at the back of your mind. Comes as second nature when you leave the van unattended, even for a few minutes, that everythings locked and secure and its parked somewhere reasonably safe, but so many times you,ve come across a beautifull secluded place and loathe to explore further on foot for any extended time because of this worry. Same applies to cars etc of course, but this is your 'home from home', with so many posessions on board, and such a pity you can,t realise its full potential without fingers crossed that it will still be there and intact on your return.

Even then its not safe!! I can remember at a club site being told about a caravan that had been towed out of a site with the alarm blasting away and people just stood and watched!! when the owners returned from shopping they couldnt believe that no-one had stopped the van. :-S thiefs are bare faced and people must realise it.

Archived