Dead battery?

Eric T McLoughlin

The battery of my 2005 FIAT Ducato based Bessacar is indicating that it is fully charged but refuses to start the engine. All the electrics on the dashboard are coming alive but the starter motor doesn't want to turn over.

I was able to start the 'van using boost leads from my Ford Focus so the mechanical side of things seemed to be working fine.

Any ideas?

Does the engine turn over a bit sluggish on the starter? Your battery although showing fully charged may have high resistance.

check the acid level and top up if necessary just above the plates and give it a full charge. Then check levels again and top up to recommended level and charge further. The fact you managed with booster cables does make it look like your battery is needing seriously topped up or is on the way out.

If it spins on the starter as fast as it always has then I would look elsewhere for thr problem. but still no harm on checking your battery acid level.

As mentioned. check your immobilser light (padlock) and engine fault (engine symbol) does go out before trying to start.

If you can start the van with jump leads, then the immobiliser is not the problem.

I would firstly check all battery and earth strap connections between engine / gearbox / body and then the starter motor itself.

If the above is OK, then do a test discharge on the battery to make sure that it has enough capacity to start the engine, this can be done for free at a dealer, or somewhere like Halfords and if the battery is duff, you will be in the right place to buy a new one!

Thanks for all the advice so far.

I've ruled the immobiliser out now as the little immobiliser symbol winks out at the correct monent after the ignition key has been turned.

As suggested I think it's the battery on the way out.

I think that the battery sealed unit so I can't see how I could check or replenish the electrolyte. The battery on the 2005 Ducato seems to have all sorts of weird and wonderful "extras" attached in and around the battery posts. I've never seen so many bits and pieces in the way of removing a battery.

Guest Tracker

Did you jump lead from terminal to terminal on both positive and negative?

If so that would suggest that the terminals and earth strap are fine and it is maybe either the battery not connecting with one of it's terminals or the battery itself at fault?

If not and you used the van chassis or engine for the negative there could still be a terminal or earth strap issue?

When the engine is running is there a charge from the alternator? Check it with a digital voltmeter or you might be able to see the headlamps pick up in brightness when the engine is running and the slave battery is disconnected.

That it starts on a slave battery suggests that it is notan ECU or immobiliser issue or it would not start at all.

If it is the original battery it ain't done bad!

2005 Fiat, my battery failed very suddenly last year, first attempt started with jump leads then next day at home even the RAC man had a job starting it, solar panel keeps it charged at home and the display showed 13.5 volts until starting was attemted then dropped to 9.5v so drove it round to local dealer and had a new battery fitted.

thinking abount it again, the faulty connection was on the chassis end of the earth lead between the engine and chassis, that was why all the electrics worked but the engine would not start. Connect a lead between the batt negative and the engine,that will eliminate all earth connections, otherwise suspect battery.

Brian

Have just read the posts again, you say the starter refused to turn over the engine. When you turn the key to the start position do you hear a solenoid clicking from the starter motor. If so the starter motor solenoid contacts are dirty, sticking, or starter motor has failed and was just luck when you jump started.

If you hear no clicking then fault may be in the wiring to the solenoid, or a faulty solenoid. I expect there is also a relay involved which powers the solenoid and it could be faulty.

Edit - just checked, and no fuse is shown for solenoid, but is a link instead for it in the fuse box under bonnet.

Similar problem on our 03 Fiat 2.8jtd, battery was 5 years old.

All indications were that it was good, Battery test meters showed OK.

Problems was the battery was not giving the amps fast enough, hence insuffucent to turn the motor effectively to get a start.

New battery solved problem, Old battery sits in garage topped up and saved the day for a couple of neighbours in the recent cold weather.

Rgds

Hi check your earth from Bat' to body, disconnect the connection on the body and clean with sandpaper and re do connection. Get a voltage drop test on Bat to check all is well with Bat'.

The earth connection is a common fault .

Regards,

Brendan

Eggy - 2010-02-05 11:35 AM

2005 Fiat, my battery failed very suddenly last year, first attempt started with jump leads then next day at home even the RAC man had a job starting it, solar panel keeps it charged at home and the display showed 13.5 volts until starting was attemted then dropped to 9.5v so drove it round to local dealer and had a new battery fitted.

Ours was just the same ! last summer we managed to start it and drove to the garage 8miles away it died outside never to go again! we were lucky we made it 8-) when they tested it they said it was dead, they replaced it very reasonably and we were off. Its not worth the hassle get it changed.

Meters may show full voltage on a duff battery, but as soon as you try to draw current from it the Voltage will drop immediately.

The so called "Drop Test" is a very heavy duty load, placed directly across the Battery terminals. The load takes many tens of Amps from the battery and the voltage is measured during this process. After a short while, measured in seconds, if the voltage drops to just a few Volts then the Battery is Duff. If it is OK then the volts only drop by a couple of Volts.

Halfords and most garages will have the drop test equipment and it only takes a few minutes of their time.

Agree with previous comments, get the battery tested and if its duff just replace it and swallow the cost.

Archived