Bikes in Italy

Tomored

Looking at the A.A site I see that they say that Italian law says that you have to have reflectorized diagonally red and white striped 50x50cm board on the back of bikes that you are carrying on the back of your motorhome. What are the experiences of the motorhomers on the forum as to how keen the police are to enforce this rule. If it is a rule that is vigorously enforced, where would you buy such a board? With the prospect of a six week trip going down as far as Brindisi I would not want to fall foul of the law.

Hi Tomored and welcome to the forum.

I can't say how vigorous the police are about enforcing this rule but these boards are also required by law in Spain, and no doubt other countries will follow.

We got ours from a local caravan/ motorhome dealer and they are usually also available at motorhome shows.

Most common one is made by Fiamma.

They are quite cheap so you might as well 'play safe'

Have a good trip.

Tomored, Fiamma make such a board, they are available in motorvan / caravan accessory shops. I don't know how keep the Italian police are, but the boards are cheap enough and give a good indication of the end of the outfit, so why not use one all the time?

The cheap boards from the likes of Towsure at around £10 only have

4 X 2 to3 inch circular reflectors - one in each corner on a white/Red diagonal striped board.

The fully reflecting type are around £30.

Not sure if the cheaper one is ok for Italy - Perhaps " The Judge " will be able to clarify the matter as he often visits Italy ?

Thanks very much for your help. It's great here, within half an hour you have told me that I do need a board. You have told me where to get it, and I have bought one. Only sad part is that I rushed off to buy it at the Fiamma store and it cost £28-50 and then I find judgementles post with one for £5-95. Still mines made of aluminum not plastic, so it might last longer. Thanks again for all your help.

Guest JudgeMental
mike 202 - 2010-02-06 5:36 PM

The cheap boards from the likes of Towsure at around £10 only have

4 X 2 to3 inch circular reflectors - one in each corner on a white/Red diagonal striped board.

The fully reflecting type are around £30.

Not sure if the cheaper one is ok for Italy - Perhaps " The Judge " will be able to clarify the matter as he often visits Italy ?

We are oft to Italy again this year absolutely love it! It s the only way we can have a "family" holiday as my teenagers wont come anywhere else....4th year on the trot:-D

while I have the warning sign and a bike rack have not used either as we fit all the bikes in campers garage.

You can never tell what they'll do in Italy. :-)

Having been overtaken against double white lines, on the approach to a bridge, by a marked police car with the driver smoking and on his mobile phone nothing would surprise me.

I was told, by an Italian driver, that a single white line means 'No Overtaking' but double white lines mean 'Definitely No Overtaking' 8-)

My son lives in Florence and he maintains that to Italians the law is only "advisory" and even then it applies to others only>:-) However I would never knowingly break any law or regulation as the consequences are never worth the perceived benefit. Nothing to do with my moral attitude, purely risk assessment(lol)

In the past we have done loads of trips to Italy with the bikes on the back of a caravan at the time we didn't know about the requirement for a reflective sign never experienced any problems but always use one now on the Motohome (only the cheap one).

£28.50 for an aluminium one in the UK is a good price.

Guest JudgeMental
Minstrel - 2010-02-07 5:35 PM

Judge

Do you book your campsite in Italy, I think it's one of the lakes you go to?

Just curious, cos one day we'll go to Italy and wonder if we need to book sites in advance.

Yes we do, the site we like "Campeggio Fornella" is normally booked by December. we just got the last pitch as I could not book earlier because of doubts regards my driving license. This is high season, outside that I would not worry, and away from the lakes/ med coast likewise :-D

JudgeMental - 2010-02-06 6:08 PM

We are oft to Italy again this year absolutely love it! It s the only way we can have a "family" holiday as my teenagers wont come anywhere else....4th year on the trot:-D

while I have the warning sign and a bike rack have not used either as we fit all the bikes in campers garage.

Couldn't agree more Judge! We missed out last year as we took 4 seperate weekly holidays - and it didn't work for us! :-( Both husband and myself have said we "missed Italy" rather than "we missed a longer holiday". Not this year - we are taking 3 weeks in Aug/Sept. - to Rome and thereabouts.... :-D :-D B-) B-)

I 'think' that I read somewhere that the requirement in Italy is for the marker board to be aluminium as opposed to the composite ones that are available.

Having said that how vigilant the Italian police are is unknown. I kept my aluminium one on for the whole trip as it is a useful reminder to those following you.

Regards

Peter

Minstrel - 2010-02-07 5:35 PM

Judge

Do you book your campsite in Italy, I think it's one of the lakes you go to?

Just curious, cos one day we'll go to Italy and wonder if we need to book sites in advance.

Just a mention it probably depends when you go if you need to book or not, we spent a month May/June and never booked a site the only one a bit of a gamble was the one in Rome that perhaps we should have booked but everywhere else no problems. I agree with Judge well worth going back. Carol. :-)

Archived