Sat Dish question

RogP

I wonder if anyone can offer some advice.

The MH we've just purchased already had fitted a Teleco Magic Sat. At the moment I cant get the dish to raise and wondered if anyone has any experience with these devices.

I've sort of put it on hold trying to fix as I'm waiting for the EM50 unit to be replaced and I dont know if this is part of the problem.

Anyway the dish is trying to do something as I can hear the motors working , I think its trying to rotate but then errors out because the actual dish isn't raising up and being obstructed by 'roof architecture'!

Also , I was told (but not convinced) that you can use a Virgin Media card in the digi box. Has anyone else heard this before?

Many Thanks

Roger

Hi Roger, I have no experience with Teleco sat equipment but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be trying to rotate until the dish has elevated, perhaps its the elevation motor you can hear running? Some systems use a sheer pin to protect the dish elevation mech from damage so it would be well worth a close look at the dish supporting arm first.

As for a Virgin card working in a Sky box, I can't be 100% positive as I've not tried it but I seriously doubt if it would work. Virgin media is cable and sky is satellite and while they both use MPEG2 as a transmission format I'm sure their encryption will be different. Only one way to be certain though is to try it.

D.

Randonneur - 2010-02-17 9:58 AM

He didn't mention that it was a Sky box just a Digibox. We have a generic Digibox that you can put subscriber cards into, never tried it though.

Yes, I didn't explain it very well.

What I meant was that Satellite and cable encryption are very different. A card for one won't work with the other.

Hi I have a KVH dish and when new it had intermittent problems raising, it was down to a faulty micro switch on the dish, before raising the dish lowers to 0 elevation this point is then activated by a micro switch (so it knows roughly 0 elevation) then elevates before rotating, the elevation is based on it's last known position.

Eggy

thanks for the help , I've managed to have a quick look at the actual dish on the roof.

I don't know if this is anything but I can lift the dish up without any resistance at all. I would have thought that I shouldn't be able to do that , am I right? one of the posts mentioned a sheer pin could this be the problem and would it be a fairly easy fix?

I'm trying to eliminate as much as I can before I have to bite the bullet and pay someone to take a look. I'm fairly ok with a spanner so dont mind having a go at diy fixing upto a point

Re the digibox it is a sky one , can you still get the one off cards for £20?

Archived