re vodafone dongle k3565

bluebail10

Hi everyone We have a vodafone k3565 dongle. although we can receive emails using my microsoft outlook 2007 it is impossible to send any. the message says it has timed out. Anyone got this problem & know how to rectify. its very annoying having to wait til we get home & use our wireless broadband to reply to emails we receive while away.

You can only send mail via SMTP server of the ISP you are connected to, or use your own SMTP Server.

Vodafone's SMTP server is :

send.vodafone.net

Change your outgoing SMTP server to this and it will work.

You don't say what email client you are using, Thunderbird is very useful as you can set up multiple SMTP servers and just select anyone as the default.

If you use a lot of different connections e.g. often stay in hotels it is useful to set up a SMTP server on your laptop then you can send via any ISP .

I'm in a Hotel in Lithuania at the moment.

bluebail10 - 2010-02-16 5:48 PM . . . although we can receive emails using my microsoft outlook 2007 it is impossible to send any. the message says it has timed out.

I'd be inclined to extend the time before the server times out.

If you go into Tools > Account Settings > Change > More settings > Advanced > then drag the server timeout bar to 'Long' which should give you 10 minutes before timing out (not the default 1 minute).

W2G

lennyhb - 2010-02-17 6:38 AM

You can only send mail via SMTP server of the ISP you are connected to, or use your own SMTP Server.(snip)

I use four e-mail accounts daily. One is for ntlworld (our broadband ISP at home) and the others are linked to web sites hosted by two different web hosting companies. Each has a pop server (for incoming mail) and a smtp server (for outgoing mail) associated with it.

In Eudora (the e-mail client which I use) one sets up a "personality" for each e-mail account which includes specification of the pop and smtp servers associated with the account.

I use the same e-mail client settings in Eudora on the netbook (whether connecting via Vodafone, T-Mobile or Three) as I do on the desktop at home.

The only difference when using the dongle is that the connection parameters (which are different from the e-mail settings) must be those for the company which issued the SIM being used.

Graham

bluebail10 - 2010-02-17 11:42 AM

Hi, yes I have had laptop beside desktop & checked everything is identical, my ISP is orange my laptop is a dell. I've also extended "time out" to long. Also tried changing connect using "vodafone mobile connect" & nothing works!

Keith

When using the dongle have you set the SMTP server to 'send.vodafone.net' ?

If you keep having the problem whilst you are travelling with Outlook ,it might be worth considering setting up an internet email account that you can use to send emails whilst you are away such as yahoo, hotmail etc.

If you are typing a particularly long email some servers time out and occasionally you lose all your typing. One way to avoid this is to copy it before pressing send and then if it has timed out simply log back in to your email account, paste the text into a new message and press send straight away and this solves the problem.

As I said earlier Thunderbird allows multiple SMTP servers so you just select the one for the service you are on.

Another way is to set up your own SMTP server a program that works well & is free is hMailServer you do need a domain name for a SMTP server to work but that only costs about 6 quid for 2 years.

Petra - 2010-02-21 5:41 PM

If you keep having the problem whilst you are travelling with Outlook ,it might be worth considering setting up an internet email account that you can use to send emails whilst you are away such as yahoo, hotmail etc.

If you are typing a particularly long email some servers time out and occasionally you lose all your typing. One way to avoid this is to copy it before pressing send and then if it has timed out simply log back in to your email account, paste the text into a new message and press send straight away and this solves the problem.

Or type your message in notebook, word etc then, when ready, copy/paste this into an e-mail message and fill in the address etc and send.

David

As an aside to all of the above, I would highly recommend using a website based email address, such as Hotmail, Live, Yahoo, Google etc. The reason for this is that if your laptop goes kaput you can use a library or internet cafe and still get at your emails etc, if it's Outlook or something similar, you've had it!

Archived