windows updates

clay

i run windows vista premium and more than regularly receive unwanted automatic updates which crash in on my work and once caused a total crash of the system. is there anyway i could block these intrusions coming through. i know they are for my own good but would prefer to manually down load them as i feel like :-S

clay - 2010-02-18 8:50 AM

i run windows vista premium and more than regularly receive unwanted automatic updates which crash in on my work and once caused a total crash of the system. is there anyway i could block these intrusions coming through. i know they are for my own good but would prefer to manually down load them as i feel like :-S

I get these regularly but I am given the option of downloading so presumably the 'automatic' option can be turned off.

No doubt one of our experts will be along shortly to advise.

:-|

Clay I sympathise. Just before Christmas my computer (XP) closed down completely. Dell were absolutely certain that it meant buying a new one (no surprise there then!) but my grandson managed to fix it and warned me about automatic updates so I set my laptop to do them manually. Guess what? My laptop has now crashed completely and I downloaded an update manually yesterday. In future I think I will switch off the updates completely.

I have changed to Firefox from IE because of all those problems. It seems to becoming a nightmare.

Hi, It was explained to me once by an I.T expert.

You need to do all the critical updates to avoid a crash, because if you miss one, then the next one (might be a month latter) possibly needs the last one to work in conjuntion with it, if it's not there, then the system might crash.

Of course Microsoft sometimes get it wrong, (lol)

I asked the (expert) because my friends computer kept crashing after an update (she also new my friend) and mine never crashes (even after six years) and that was the explanation.

Pete

That's interesting Breakaleg but with my main computer I had always downloaded automatically so it should have been up to date. The updates that I had just installed on my laptop were for MS Office 2003. I am left now with an apology screen from Windows telling me that the problem probably lies with a recent update and to choose from 3 alternative means of booting up: normal, the last successful settings or safe mode. I have tried them all but without success - it just keeps returning to this page after the security sign in.

I have now had a notification on the netbook that I am using at present. This is a Windows security update for XP but I am frightened to instal it now in case this machine goes down too.

Hi Patrica

Have you tried system restore? are you running vista on your main computer? if so, open the task bar type system restore and click on it when it come up, follow what it says and it should restore your system to a time before the update.

I read somewhere that office 2003 is having problems with vista, perhaps this was an attempt to make it more stable.

Can't remember how you get to system restore in xp.

Pete

Hi Pete,

All 3 computers are XP, not Vista, and I can't get to system restore because I cannot get past this Windows fault page, not even into safe mode. I have tried running the battery down and restarting it again but all to no avail. Do you have any ideas how I can by-pass this page?

Guest JudgeMental
I lost the use of my PC a week ago due to a windows update! :-S it is with an engineer now. I will certainly turn of the auto function in the future *-)

This seems to be a widespread problem.  The only thing to do will be to contact Microsoft technical to see if they have a fix.  It will help if anyone is able to identify which update caused the problem.  Otherwise, make a note of the time/date when the problem arose.  They must be aware of this by now, but if they say not, a few more calls should ensure they become aware.  In the meantime, disable automatic updates on any working XP computers.

Hi I'm no expert but are you running "google chrome". I suffered desktop dropout and loss of shortcuts on 2 laptops old one using XP new one is windows 7 problem was finaly resolved when I removed google chrome unfortunately I've had to lose google earth as well but at least I can use the computers as I want to. Arn't computers wonderfull they're supposed to make life easier but they make my brain boil. >:-( *-)

Hi Patricia,

Sorry, but I can't help you on that, the last auto update on xp (last Wednesday I think) worked o.k on my net book,I didn't realise that the ms word updates were automatic, mine only downloads system updates automatically.

can you get into safe mode from boot up? IE tapping the f8 key repeatedly as the computer boots up? rather than clicking on safe mode from the error message.

Pete

Pete thank you for that advice but I have tried it with no success. I could open the bios but nothing else. There must have been quite a few complaints though according to the following received today:

Rootkit Could be to Blame for Windows Update Error

If your XP system has started crashing with a blue screen error message after installing the latest batch of updates and patches released by Microsoft (on 2nd February) it could indicate that you have a Rootkit infecting your PC. A Rootkit is a malicious piece of software that hides itself on your PC and is often used to conceal a virus or spyware application designed to steal data from your machine. The hidden nature of the Rootkit means that it will often go undetected by your anti-virus software.

The patch that causes the problem - MS10-015 – is designed to fix a problem in the Windows kernel. The theory is that the Rootkit causing the problem was exploiting this flaw without being detected. If you find that your PC is crashing after installing this update, try reverting your system to the last known good configuration:

1. Switch on your PC and hold down the [F8] key.

2. When the Advanced Options menu is displayed, select Last Known Good Configuration using the [up Arrow] and [Down Arrow] keys, then press [Enter] to select.

3. Your PC will restart with the last known working configurations settings, undoing the changes that made your PC unstable.

However, I cannot follow this advice as I cannot get back to the last configuration.

May be worth mentioning, my touch pad crashed, no response at all, called the help line and they instructed me to download a "bios" fix, (all above my head), anyway followed the complicated instructions to the letter, downloaded the fix but didn't know what to do with it so called again, only to be asked if on my previous call they had suggested that I unplug from the mains, remove the battery and hold the laptop "on button" down for 1 minute. re-plug in the mains and as if by magic all was working again, after finishing my session switched off and re-instaalled the battery, apparently drains everything down and restarts from the bottom up (still over my head) the touch pad has crashed a couple of times since, maybe once every 6mths and the above proceedure always fixes it. Simple to do and worth a try.

Eggy

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2010-02-19 4:30 PM

I lost the use of my PC a week ago due to a windows update! :-S it is with an engineer now. I will certainly turn of the auto function in the future *-)

the engineer has reported back. during the update I do remember being asked to unplug any external devices, and as nothing was plugged in the front or a disc in the drive I let it carry on. what happened was i should have unplugged printer and scanner which are plugged in back of PC....would have been nice if Microsoft explained themselves better! *-)

20 files where corrupted and he copied my hard drive before working on it. he is working on copied hard drive which has repaired and updated successfully and now has to do the same on my original drive.

my advice, turn of auto update and unplug everything before updating. if you miss an update this can cause problems latter as well apparently.

Interesting.  Am I being complacent, or isn't it sufficient just to leave any connected hardware "off"?  I have always assumed that once other hardware is turned off, at least if connected via USB, it is inaccessible to the PC.  At least, only when I turn (for example) the printer on, does it appear in the system tray, and when I turn it off it disappears.  Does this not indicate that the PC can't "see" it when turned off, so it shouldn't cause this problem?

Guest Tracker
RoyH - 2010-02-20 8:54 PM

But Err... what's all this to do with motorhomes, why not go to Microsoft Support and ask them.

So what - it's sound and valuable information posted in good faith - and all of us motorhomers on here are using a computer so it does have a lot to do with it in reality - but thanks for asking!!

I was unable to determine that Google Chrome offered me anything that was not already installed on my computer so why complicate it any further - so I didn't!!

Brian Kirby - 2010-02-21 5:46 PM Interesting.  Am I being complacent, or isn't it sufficient just to leave any connected hardware "off"?  I have always assumed that once other hardware is turned off, at least if connected via USB, it is inaccessible to the PC.  At least, only when I turn (for example) the printer on, does it appear in the system tray, and when I turn it off it disappears.  Does this not indicate that the PC can't "see" it when turned off, so it shouldn't cause this problem?

Brian, you're right.

In the "old days" with Windows 95, 98 and ME, Microsoft used to advise on their update site that all external devices could remain connected but switched off. On their XP, Vista and 7 updates it no longer says this so I guess that Microsoft just assumes that users will know this.

Archived