Nuvi 1390 Vs TomTom XL IQ , Any thoughts ?

tonyishuk

I am contemplating purchasing one of the above and would welcome any thoughts.

I have used TT ver 6 on a PDA for some time, and loaded POIs, speed cams ect so know my way around a bit.

From reviews it seems that TT are getting a little unreliable software wise and customer service is not good, hence looking at Garman products

I like TT ability to plot an itinery and store the route, can you do that with a Nuvi ?

Rgds

We have a Tom Tom (albeit Go720 not XL) and have not had any software problems at all, not sure what you have heard about. The map update service (cost £34 per year for four updates) is really good as is the daily map correction service (free), this gives you the latest available mapping at resonable cost, far cheaper than my previous Navman which I would not recommend.

I had occasion to use the customer support last month and found them quick (my initial e-mail answered within two hours) and once I had shown them the problem, that was hard to describe, by sending screen shots the problem was resolved by the next e-mail, so my experience with them is good.

Others will probably favour Garmin but other than an early version that I had, which was fine for it's time, I have had no use of the latest ones only looked at, however IMO if you stick to one of the two you are looking at you won't go far wrong.

Bas

Hi Tony i too am torn between the Nuvi 1390 and the Tom Tom 750 go traffic. You get inclusive traffic with the Nuvi for life but i dont know if the service is any good. Today i notice that if you buy a Tom Tom that can use live services and traffic they are offering this package free for 12 months. It normaly costs £95 for a year.

Halfords are doing the tom Tom for £229 but if you are brave you can get one from Amazon for about £200.

I have the Tom Tom 720 go but the maps need renewing and thats about £75 so i am pondering.

Good luck and please let me know how you go on.

Vic

vicwo - 2010-02-19 4:39 PM

I have the Tom Tom 720 go but the maps need renewing and thats about £75 so i am pondering.

Hi does not the £75 give you a new latest map and then a years updates as well, that was the offer I was given and then £35 for each year after?

This was the route I took with mine and I have to say the latest Navecore, lane guidance and IQ mapping that brings it up to the latest standard are very good indead.

Just my opinion, but For what the differences are between the updated Go720 and the latest version it doesn't seem to warrant the cost, as I say just my opinion.

I use the RDS attachment for traffic and find it quite satisfactory, the earlier versions (pre V13.xxx I believe) apparently did not work so well but the latest works well and of course is free to use after initial purchase.

Bas

P.S The Tom Tom latest map has just been released, I'm currently downloading it.

Thanks for your replies,

I purchased a TT XL IQ Live, what tempted me as the itinary plotting and the Live informatiom PLUS there is a years FREE Live subscription when you purchase and a further £10 when you register.

Initial trial to day with interactive traffic worked very well.

Having a little problem loading Speed cams and getting the sound files to work, but hopefully gpsforum can help with that.

Rgds

Archived