North West Scotland

Porky

Whe are hoping to do the area between Ullapool and Unapool as part of our trip to Scotland. It is an area my wife remembers in her childhood (long time ago- whoops>:-) I have found a C&C Club site at Inverewe Gardens Poolewe which they say is their most northerly site.

Does any one have any experience of this site and/or know of anywhere to stop further north up to Unapool or Lochinvar:-D

Also what are the midges like in this area in June?

Roy Fuller

Guest Tracker

Don't know about sites other than there are enough about to not be lost without if you need one. Mainly commercial sites of varying cost and condition with not always the dearest being the best - or least worst!

Midgies? Yup - plenty by June probably! It's wet and windy you won't be bothered by them but if it's warm sunny and windless you will - catch 22!

Hi

Inverewe isn't between Ullapool and Unapool, though it is a good site in a delightful village and Inverewe gardens is worth a visit - if only to see the palm trees! We prefer Sands Holiday Centre north of Gairloch though, a huge site in the sand dunes with a lovely beach.

Between Ullapool and Unapool we can recommend a site at Ullapool itself, Broomfield Holiday Park to the west of the ferry - renowned for its sunsets and we can recommend the Morefield Motel at the back of the town for its fish & chips.

Going north, there is a basic site at Achnahaird on the Achiltibuie road, a lovely site at Achmelvich, north of Lochinver (buy your pies in Lochinver!) and just north of Unapool are sites at Scourie and Durness (Sango Sands) both of which are good sites with shops and catering available locally. Sango Sands can get a wee bit windy.

Midges depend on the weather and we have rarely had a problem on the west coast as its usually too windy - they can't fly above 5mph.

If you can afford the time and the money, why not take the ferry from Ullapool to Stornaway and spend some time in the outer Hebrides?

P&L

Inverewe is a great site, though as already said it isn't between Ullapool and Unapool. Can't agree with the comment about the midges, however - the road from there out to the South of Loch Ewe is the only place I've ever seen a road gang working in midge nets - they certainly needed them, and that was June.

If my memory serves me correctly, there is also a very basic official off-road parking spot on that same road, near Inverasdale, overlooking the Loch and supported by the local community - tremendous setting, very few facilities.

Broomfield Park in Ullapool is well situated, Ardmair Point to the north is even better situated (though not within walking distance of Ullapool).

Unfortunately, the site further north on the way out to the coast at Achnahaird (a real gem, possibly my favourite in Scotland) closed at the end of 2008 and is no more.

Achmelvich has already been mentioned; there is another site on the same road north of Lochinver at Clachtoll which is also OK (and very friendly) though exposed as are many of the sites on the West coast in bad weather.

If you are in the Lochinver area, I don't recommend the Coast road to the South through Inverkirkaig with a 'van - though the scenery is stunning, the carriageway is VERY narrow in places, combined with blind bends.

I can also vouch for Scourie and Sango sands if you go further North.

Hi, We stayed at C&cc site a few year ago but had to stay on forecourt as site was full. Wardens agreed we could plug in to their electric point overnight, very helpful.

Didnt notice midgie there, but further round the trip, at cc site south of Bettyhill. they were there by the mega million.

Strongest repallent was drank by the gallon by them, they loved it

enjoy your trip, but remember cost of diesel is Skye high (sic)

tonyg3nwl

Can't comment on sites but if you are interested in wild camping (I seem to remember you are) you should find plenty of options. On your way back try A838 Laxford Bridge to Lairg. Beautiful scenery and walks. We stopped towards the N end of Loch Merkland in a small disused quarry* in November and had a superb walk into the hills. It would go all the way over to Altnahara if you wanted to but we just went to the watershed.

* there are quite a lot of these around the highlands - where stone has been used for building the roads - and they make excellent sites.

I can vouch for the midges in June, although last year on our nights out in the highlands, May - September (the midge season) roughly 12 nights we had only 1 night when the midge score was about 3/5 - otherwise 0-1/5.

They like still warm damp conditions, so if you park where there is a breeze and away from still water you have more chance of avoiding them.

Nearer the time visit http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/2008/ for an up to date midge forecast.

A word of warning - don't come to Scotland too soon - stay where you are - the weather is still very cold. We have had snow on the ground since before Christmas and there is more to come. The forecast I have just seen the MAXIMUM temperature for the next 2 weeks is 1C :-(

magbrin - 2010-02-21 5:16 PM

A word of warning - don't come to Scotland too soon - stay where you are - the weather is still very cold. We have had snow on the ground since before Christmas and there is more to come. The forecast I have just seen the MAXIMUM temperature for the next 2 weeks is 1C :-(

We've had 5 hours of snow today, but it was a 'balmy' 2c so melting this afternoon ready to freeze overnight :-(

Firemore beach near the Inverewe Gardens club site is very basic..stock up with water as there was none last year unless you want some from a sheep trough...but my oh my a wonderful place to camp..even in a gale!!!

There are lots of little area here and there up in the North West Highlands...we did a fortnight with stopping on a site..mainly stayed at Sheilaig common grazing land and other where you pay a donation. Good tip is to use the motorhome stop off facillity at CCC site at poolewe(Inverewe gardens) well worth £5 for lovely clean showers, stock up with water and buy some fresh eggs from the site hens!!!

Much better to wild camp up in the N West...but remember:

LEAVE NOTHING BUT FOOTPRINTS AND TAKE NOTHING BUT MEMORIES

Archived