German Low Emission Zones

tonyg3nwl

Hi, Having had my attention drawn to LEzZ in germany, Can anyone point me in direction to purchase relevant document, Paying by card over internet.. I can only find a pdf file to print out and send, and not sure what top half of form requires. Is it scan of tax disc??.

Can one pay by card (we have a visa euro card)

help please

tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2010-02-22 9:44 AMHi, Having had my attention drawn to LEzZ in germany, Can anyone point me in direction to purchase relevant document, Paying by card over internet.. I can only find a pdf file to print out and send, and not sure what top half of form requires. Is it scan of tax disc??.Can one pay by card (we have a visa euro card)help pleasetonyg3nwl

Berlin City sells these online but you'll need to scan your registration document and add it as a JPEG or PDF. They cost six Euro.

You can always buy one when you get to Germany. You'll only need it for certain inner-city areas and I think that it is now available from many sources including large car dealerships.

You can order one here for €15 http://www.tuev-sued.de/auto_fahrzeuge/feinstaub-plakette/feinstaubplakette_ausland/england You will need to be able to send an electronic image of your V5 with the order. Very quick service. Alternatively you can wait until you get to Germany and go to a local TUV station where the cost will be a lot less. Have even known people to send a copy of their V5 and a €5 note to a local office and get one that way but could be a little risky!

David

alan - 2010-02-22 10:08 AMHi AllTony beat me to it, I was going to ask exactly the same question. I also need to know which towns have the low emission zones and can anybody describe what the sign looks like? Thanks in anticipation.Alan

About twenty cities have created these low-emission zones. However, the cost of a sticker is so low that my advice would be to get one and then you'll be covered wherever you go. Berlin has but Hamburg hasn't for instant but of course this will change as other cities are added.

Rayjsj - 2010-02-22 10:48 AMAm i correct in thinking that these zones include petrol vehicles as well ?and what if your registration document doesn't include C02 data ? My 'Classic' 22 year old, probably wouldn't even be allowed into the Country. Ray :-S

Yes, petrol models are included but only for cars registered after 1993 I believe. You can still take an older car to Germany of course but it won't be allowed into an inner-city area where a low-emissions zone is in force. It shouldn't be too difficult to live with though.

I bought mine passing through on the way to Dresden last year.

All TuV stations (essentially the equivalent of an MOT testing station, but generally a dedicated concern, not a commercial garage), will issue them.

They're all over the place, and generally well signposted, so it isn't inconvenient.

With it being in a small town, I suspect they hadn't issued one for a foreign vehicle before, and German paperwork contains an emissions rating (schlussl, or 'key') on which the colour coding is based. UK paperwork doesn't have this.

After a bit of head scratching and chasing around of the VIN number, they finally came up with the goods and issued the correct (yellow for me) sticker.

All very friendly and efficient, and it cost me less than 10 euro.

As it happens, I didn't need it on my travels, but for the price, it is nice to be covered.

Very good info can be found at:

http://www.umwelt-plakette.de/int_england.php?SID=d6rks7t7cmr566kcha2asrrvq0

tonyg3nwl - 2010-02-22 9:44 AM

Hi, Having had my attention drawn to LEzZ in germany, Can anyone point me in direction to purchase relevant document, Paying by card over internet.. I can only find a pdf file to print out and send, and not sure what top half of form requires. Is it scan of tax disc??.

Can one pay by card (we have a visa euro card)

help please

tonyg3nwl

Print the form off get a copy of your log and post off.

you pay when you get the sticker.

all sounds a bit iffy but it works well.

Hi, Just managed to navigate various links and found card payment option. I have confirmed my card has just been hit for 15 euro and received email confirmation so hope postal system can now find me.

Next problem, can a similar arrangement be made to get Austrian vignette sticker. ie prepay by card and get it sent to uk address.

anyone know or have a suitable link.?

tonyg3nwl

I don't believe you can buy the vignette online. (Also, be aware that if you are over 3.5t - and I don't believe you are from your profile - a vignette won't suffice, you will need a 'go-box').

They are easier to obtain than an Umwelt Plakette though. Available at the border posts, many service stations (including on the run-up to the border), and all Post Offices.

www.vignette.at is the official website, you can select English (as the 'sprache') on the home page.

tonyg3nwl - 2010-02-22 1:09 PM

Next problem, can a similar arrangement be made to get Austrian vignette sticker. ie prepay by card and get it sent to uk address.

anyone know or have a suitable link.?

tonyg3nwl

You could try here http://www.tolltickets.com/country/austria/vignette.aspx?lang=en-GB but they will add quite a bit on for admin! The Austrian vignette is easy to buy either at the (old) border or at Service Stations on the approach to Austria so there is no real need to buy in advance.

David

If you want more information on towns covered by the Green Zone restrictions

http://umwelt-plakette.de

Towns are covered alphabetically and the map has a zoom function showing the streets within the zone.Also shows the the colour disc restrictions per town

But I would not buy the sticker from them at their prices !!

I photo copied the log book ,downloaded the form and sent it by post. The disc comes back with bill for 12.50 euros. Took a risk and posted cash back with the coins taped between card .

I don't know if the price has gone up, or if it just costs more using all these methods, but we paid €5 for ours last summer. We stopped at a Ford dealership on the outskirts of a city, took the logbook in to the service dept, and drove off 5 mins later with our sticker in the windscreen.

Tony Jones - 2010-02-22 7:12 PMI don't know if the price has gone up, or if it just costs more using all these methods, but we paid €5 for ours last summer. We stopped at a Ford dealership on the outskirts of a city, took the logbook in to the service dept, and drove off 5 mins later with our sticker in the windscreen.

I was the first to respond to this enquiry and posted a link where the sticker can be obtained for six Euro.

A bit lower down someone posted that they'd just managed to buy one on line for 15 Euro!

Go figure as the Yanks say!

Many of the firms selling them are private companies who put on a hefty margin.

GypsyTom - 2010-02-22 10:27 PM

I was the first to respond to this enquiry and posted a link where the sticker can be obtained for six Euro.

A bit lower down someone posted that they'd just managed to buy one on line for 15 Euro!

Go figure as the Yanks say!

Many of the firms selling them are private companies who put on a hefty margin.
I think we posted at similar times but thanks for the link to the lower price one, I have made a note!David

Just to reinforce earlier replies. Don't worry about doing it before you go but in Germany itself, no worry about post, exchange rates, giving out credit/debit cards details, losing documents etc. We did ours in October last year at a Mercedes garage in Cochem. Most major dealers will do it for you. Just parked in their car park, took the log book with us to service reception and it took about 10 minutes. They take a copy of the log book, use preprinted paper work and gave us our yellow sticker which lasts the life of the van. Cost 7.40 Euros. Afterwards they send the paperwork of to the right place.

spospe - 2010-02-22 8:35 PM

Sorry to sound negative, but these schemes really annoy me. If every country adopts such a scheme, we will soon be unable to see out of the windscreen for all the damn stickers >:-)

I agree strongly with you, a few more stickers from other places and I expect it is only a matter of time before we find ourselves getting hit with an opportunist fixed penalty at the side of the road for "driving with an obscured windscreen" in some other (southern European?) country.

A bizarre thought - if taxation/environmental stickers like this one really take off we could find ourselves fitting a small frame on the dash and stopping before each border, shuffling a wad of stickers to find those applicable for each place we go! Imagine the fun the traffic police/wardens in each country would have trying to spot all the foreigners who had innocently displayed the wrong sticker. Oh happy days for the jobs-worth minded.

Bob *-)

spospe - 2010-02-22 8:35 PM

Sorry to sound negative, but these schemes really annoy me. If every country adopts such a scheme, we will soon be unable to see out of the windscreen for all the damn stickers >:-)

I thought the emissions sticker is valid in any EU country.

We brought ours in at a car dealer in Germany 5€. I managed to find one where no one spoke English and they queried the reg doc as UK ones don't show emission but they took my word (signs actually) that the van was Euro IV.

Archived