fiat front cross member

silverback

dont know if this has been covered, last week (while i was pondering ways of weight loss!) (from the van!!) i came across the lower front cross member rotted thro, it only had the mot 4 month ago!!! i think they might need glasses!! The van has only done 24000,

so its just abit of a warning to all the FIAT based motorhomers to have a look (another good product from fiat)

they are quite easy to replace 3 bolts either end, and it pulls off, watch for the falling rubbers cos it also supports the radiator etc, got the replacement part from vansdirect on ebay £80 with postage

i am trying to attach a picture

jonathan

559185769_phpQcmdYqPM1.jpg.b546a0c4c07ee9091f65c3a75d03ab84.jpg

1120437293_php60hAtGPM1.jpg.e913e8d7e8aa0ad47813077bfe9bd606.jpg

If you remove the plastic front grille, you will probably find the metalwork behind it is not much better either.

I am just waiting for warmer weather to attend to mine as it was noted at my last MOT. This is on a 2003 Ducato with 27,000 miles on the clock.

not part of the checks!! that explains it then, cos the crossmember was intact with only a bit of visable rust, then i just gave it a prod with my finger and it went through! then abit more prodding and it produced a big hole!!

ive given the new one 2 coats of hammerite before i put it on i also drilled a 4mm hole right in the centre of the beam to let water drain out, because it has rotted from the inside out, the drain holes fiat have put in were at either end and the beam bends to the middle so thats where the water collects >:-(

Part of the built in obsolescence I'm afraid. Get right under your van and spray everything in Waxoyl including inside the main chassis members.

I had to replace mine last year, well rotted on the drivers side just below the battery??

I put it down to over enthusiastic battery charging by the previous owner who said he kept it hooked up over the winter, the battery tray itsself was just salvagable indicating over spill of bat. acid.

I,m an ex MOT station owner & tester, this X member is not regarded as part of a load bearing structure, nor part of the steering, braking or suspension so is not a testable item, but the garage should have pointed this corrosion out to you after the test.

Keith

I would definitely recommend this:-

http://www.bilthamber.com/dynaxs50comparison.html

It comes with a long extension tube for spraying in cavities. Its a big tin and it goes a long way. Having used Waxoyl for years this is definitely (IMHO) a far superior product.

I first heard about it from my brother in connection with restoring old Land Rovers

• 12 years later...

Hi there,

the 2006 Compass got an advisory on its MOT

On further inspection I could put my finger through this thing (not good)

I just ordering this part up now. Peugeot part number 132128 apparently there are two types and they are not compatible.

I have seen various post about the removal of this.

Correct me if I am wrong here

1. undo bolts holding on front bumper

2. support the radiator

3. undo wiring from the clips

4 undo the six big bolts

What is the bolt on the top of the crossmember for?

how do you remove it?

Cheers

This will be getting done on the street

Bjorn Toulouse - 2022-03-08 3:03 PM

==================================================================================

==================================================================================

Cheers

This will be getting done on the street

It is illegal to make other than emergency repairs to a vehicle on a public highway.

I believe Bjorn's motorhome is a Peugeot Boxer-based 2006 Compass Avantgarde 400 (image attached below)

This short video may help

and this 2013 forum thread goes into more detail

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Front-Cross-Member-on-Ducato/30781/

There's nothing on the video or in the 2013 forum thread about "the bolt on the top of the crossmember", and the photos in this advert show no sign of it.

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/fiat-ducato-peugeot-boxer-citroen-relay-244-crossmember.html

(If Bjorn can provide a photo showing the mysterious bolt, that might help - otherwise it's going to be difficult to offer advice.)

1654659420_CompassAvantgarde400.jpg.a337ef71f95a3db7666dae23cece8ef5.jpg

Yes she is an old compass avantgarde 400 RL, had her for 6 years now.

After trying to undo a clip for the wiring loom and the whole top half of the cross member came away I would class that as an emergency repair! Any way an eye full of rust later manged to penetrating fluid onto the bolts.

thanks for the links will give them a right good read thanks guys

I couldent see the nuts (2a) shown below, am I just blind or are they hidden?

Crossmember.JPG.85a97f73d6ef54f151a8b8282a125d0c.JPG

Bjorn Toulouse - 2022-03-09 12:53 PM

...I couldent see the nuts (2a) shown below, am I just blind or are they hidden?

The Coastal Motorhomes advert I provided a link to above shows some 'nuts' on the cross-member (image below) - though these don't look like they would undo.

You need to appreciate that this version of Boxer/Ducato lasted from 1994-2006, so there was plenty of opportunity for the front cross-member's design to be modified during those 12 years and that the cross-member fitted to your Boxer in 2006 may differ from the cross-member fitted to (say) a 1994 or a 2000 Boxer.

93116381_crossmember.png.c8c4a2e48532d07f55eb72ebb70833b6.png

The bolts Brambles has referred to are shown on these links (and on image attached below)

https://augustin-group.com/p/screw-torx-t-30-m6-7530088

https://allegro.pl/oferta/fiat-ducato-sruba-mocujaca-zderzak-przod-przedni-9089788432

The part is evidently used to secure bumpers on lots of 'Fiat' vehicles (Lancia, Alfa-Romeo, etc.) and the 1st link mentions its applicability to Ducato/Boxer/Jumper X244 vehicles (eg. a 2005 Boxer) and the follow-up X250 models. The 2nd link has an exploded view drawing of the front panelling of a Ducato X290 and I THINK the bolt is labelled "6".

In Bjorn's case, if the bumper of his 2006 X244 Boxer is not secured to the front crossmember (as silverback has suggested) there's no point looking for bumper-to-crossmember securing bolts as they won't be there. (Whether they should be there is another matter!)

bolts.png.6bcd09fc20e682d3c3136080b0ff9456.png

Archived