fiat front cross member

silverback

Bjorn attached a drawing to his posting of 9 March 2022 12:53 PM and I've copied this below.

I assume the torx bolts are shown on the drawing as Part 1 (arrowed in red) and that there are four of them. Logically, the bolts' function will be to secure the lower edge of the bumper firmly to the cross-member - otherwise the bumper would have limited structural integrity if it got 'bumped'.

Crossmember.jpg.dfb6cf1cbe082598c6fc1713eb63a4b7.jpg

Derek, Brambles thanks for the info, its hard to see what they were when your under the van. I thought they might have been hex bolts like they love using on modern vespas. Mine also have a rubber grommet between the head and the bumper. Will give it a go at lunchtime.

Well did a bit of prep yesterday while waiting for the crossmember to come and the bit that holds the pipe is rotted off so it should be fun getting that off the pipe!

I had a peak to see how to support the rad then I discovered the top radiator mounts are shot. Probably caused by the radiator dropping due to the corrosion on the crossmember. So onto the tinternet for them then.

I'm thinking to get a bit more space under the van (fed up with scraping my nose on the bottom of the van when I turn my head) using my levelling chocks to raise it a couple of inches.

I am so glad I looked at this before the season starts. The vans first trip is in two weeks all the way from Glasgow to South Wales.

Bjorn Toulouse - 2022-03-11 4:09 PM

they are a t 2.7 on my van and rotten. looks like they will need drilled out or cut out

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with this repair...and you cannot use heat on them because of the plastic bumper.

As they are rusty and its anew cross member then best just to drill out and replace with new ones. £1.99 each on Ebay.

Just remember to say "I win and you lose " to the Motorhome every time you get a bolt out. It will help you from getting frustrated with the repair.

Well crossmember out........

Next problem is the wiring clips (4 of) that attach to the crossmember.

well they appear to be riveted on. Just buy new clips? Both the Fiat and the Peugeot dealers cant find them on their schematics.

Sorry cant help.

The hole they go into is just larger than an m6

any ideas?

Derek, that's the chaps. It ends up that they were some how riveted on with the strangest rivets I have ever seen. I popped the the rivets by smacking them where the clip meets the crossmember with a chisel. They came off fairly easily. once off used a 5mm drill to tap the remainder of the rivet from the clip.

Once off I drilled 4 4mm holes next to the ones already on the crossmember and pop riveted them back into place.

Next up the metal curved cable protector and plastic box. I think I will just cable tie this using 4 Heavy duty cable ties.

One thing I have noticed is there are a lot of holes on the top of the crossmember and only 4 spare on the bottom. The 4 that are spare have a threaded nut welded on the inside. The ones on the outside are for attaching the bumper. So I can see plenty of ways for water to get in but no real way for it to get out.

No wonder they rust.

Brambles - 2022-03-11 8:03 PM

Bjorn Toulouse - 2022-03-11 4:09 PM

they are a t 2.7 on my van and rotten. looks like they will need drilled out or cut out

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with this repair...and you cannot use heat on them because of the plastic bumper.

As they are rusty and its anew cross member then best just to drill out and replace with new ones. £1.99 each on Ebay.

Just remember to say "I win and you lose " to the Motorhome every time you get a bolt out. It will help you from getting frustrated with the repair.

The other job I have been attempting is change the back tyre on a vespa lxv 125. This is a walk in the park comparing to that. I have been at that for 9 months off and on!

One thing I have noticed is there are a lot of holes on the top of the crossmember and only 4 spare on the bottom. The 4 that are spare have a threaded nut welded on the inside. The ones on the outside are for attaching the bumper. So I can see plenty of ways for water to get in but no real way for it to get out.

No wonder they rust.

Bjorn what I did on the bottom of the cross member to get rid of the water was to drill 2 holes 5mm dia in the middle for the water to run out

Jonathan

Archived