Cold air coming in

Arthur Brown

Hi

I have a Joint on a 2.8 Fiat chassis. The front end is a Fiat van. I find that almost a gale comes through any gap or space in the drivers door. I have in mind to take the door panel off and insulate the inner door avoiding moving parts like the window and door mechanisms. Has anyone else had these problems and what did they do about it. Thanking you in anticipation. I am wading through the threads on this forum and find them really informative. Looking forward to Berti's next submission. Hope to follow mid march.

Hovis

Hi Arthur and Welcome.

Providing this is a pre 2007 vintage model then it's a well known problem. To give a good easy cure open the door and look down the rear edge, near the bottom you will see a series of vents. These are to keep the inner door "aired"and avert damp being trapped. Cover most of them with gaffer tape or get some reflective red tape, as I did, and provide a double effect of some safety when opening the door in the dark. Don't cover them all.

This will remove most of this problem.

Hi Arthur,

Roys suggestion is a good one, also on the heater controls turn the knob to recirculate position this closes off the vent for fresh air coming in, remember to turn back to fresh air when using the heater.

Putting insulation in the door may stop air circulation which may cause condensation between door panels.

its a common problem. i have placed a srewed eyebolt at a low level on both doors and used a cheap small ratchet strap with s hooks to tension the door closer to its seal . this helps it also secures the doors when vehicle not in use . another spot i have noticed draught is through the adjustable seat belt fixings which i have taped over. i have also been through the habitation looking for any gaps that can 'draw' draughts through. cannot totally eliminate in the very cold weatyher but still trying. >:-)

This is a common problem with this type of van, they are all the same be them motorhomes or commercial. If you know a good fabricator, then you can ask them to make you some spoliers that go down the windscreen pillar. They met the windscreen rubber, and angle around the pillar, leading out just proud, this diverted the airtsream away. I had a friend do this on his old van years ago, and cured the wind lifting the door.

Alternatively, drive at below 60mph, and this usually stops it!

Hi everyone,

Found the holes and had the gaffa tape so that one has been put in place. I take the point about the measures when parked and I will deal with them as and when. The major problem was when travelling, I ended up putting a coat over my right knee. I will be going out next week so will let you know progress. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Arthur (lol)

Archived