summer in the sun costas or portugal

aj8one

Go to the vicarious books website they do several useful books on aires etc. The ACSI book with all the campsites is I think essential. Try www.webcampista.com www.campings.net www.lapaca.org www.furgovw.org www.campingcarportugal.com www.orbitur.com

Roy Fuller

aj8one - 2010-02-25 11:18 AM

within walking / cycling distance to town & beach.

leaving in may to travel via france , northern spain then porto & on

Try using Google Earth to see where sites are in relation to beach, town etc (lol)

Roy Fuller

The ACSI discount card is fantastic, but I would urge caution about trying to use the ACSI card in July and August.

From memory (I stand to be corrected if anyone else knows any sites that do), I don't think any of the ACSI registered sites in Spain, nor Portugal, will accept the ACSI discount card during that period, as most sites are just about chocker throughout those two months with people prepared to pay top prices to get a pitch.

Thus it depends what you call a "cheap" site, as I don't think you'll get one at all for the ACSI off-peak rate of 11 or 13 or 15 euros per night in July or August.

You are leaving in May, and most of the ACSI card deals end 30 June or 15 July, starting again beginning September.  You would get some benefit from the card.

I would endorse using Google Earth to see where the sites are in relationship to towns etc.  If you also get the ACSI disk, GPS co-ordinates are given for far more sites than do the card deal, so checking among these would probably be worthwhile.  Then enter the co-ords in Google Earth to see the site.

For sites, IMO, the Caravan Club's "Caravan Europe" Guide vol 1 (France, Spain and Portugal) is the most reliable of the lot, and the descriptions allow you to read between the lines a bit regarding facilities and their maintenance.

I agree with Bruce about crowding, scarcity of pitches, and high prices July/August.  It is when the families arrive, the temperatures soar, the tempers shorten, the noise increases, there are queues for the showers, and the prices go through the roof!

If you want to do July/August, go away from the coasts and into the hills, where it will be cooler, cheaper, quieter, less crowded, and altogether pleasanter.  Then return to the coast in September, when the sea is warmest and the crowds have thinned out!

Don't forget just how hot it can be in June/July/ Aug/Sept make sure you get shade best with air con in which case you will need hook up Temps in the 90's common and a some days over 100 and that's king hot.

We have days when the night temps are still in the 90's(Costa del Sol)

aj8one - 2010-02-25 11:18 AM

we off for 6 months to the sun looking for a inexpensive campsite on costas or portugal to stay over july / august within walking / cycling distance to town & beach.

leaving in may to travel via france , northern spain then porto & on

I would consider going the other way ie: Leave northen Spain till later

We went the way you are planning last year from may to July, and found Northern Spain Lovely, BUT it was very wet and not to warm. This year we are going to leave in May , but go to the south of Spain first then along the northern coast on the way back.We found ACSI Ok untill about first week of July, then you will find it is not acceptable untill September . Also as stated previously The Caravan Club Europe book

Pauline

Archived