Leisure Battery Charging

Bailey

I have problems keeping the charge up in the Leisure battery during Winter - I have the Motorhome in storage and not at home. It has been recommended to me that I get a Solar panel for keeping it charged. For the un-technical can someone tell me what type I should ask for in the shop. Can I then just attach clamps to the battery or it is more complicated. My battery is accessed froom the back of the motorhome on the outside. The battery compartment is underneath the bikerack so I will have to remove that to get full access to the battery.

Any help would be appreciated :'(

Guest Tracker

Here's a bit of light reading for you!

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18597&start=1

I would be inclined to disconnect the leisure battery if you are not using the van and it does not need to be live to power any security systems?

It may well be that like so many before it it is close to kaput through lack of use and being left discharged for too long.

If you have a digital multimeter and if the battery is not sealed for life, a hydrometer, you can check it's condition and recharge it if you have a charger and that is easier to do at home on the bench.

Agree with Trackers comments - disconnect the battery so there is no drain on it. So many people get solar panels just to keep their leisue batteries charged in winter. It only makes sense to keep batteries connected and charged if powering an alarm which is usually off the engine battery.

Guest Tracker
Bellis555 - 2010-03-02 9:58 PM

so when driving the leisure battery charges, i take it you could leave mobile/laptops plugged in so their batteries charge up?

Yes and No!

When driving the power supply from the leisure batteries to any 12v appliances or sockets is disabled leaving two options.

Charge laptops and mobiles from the cab 12v cigarette socket as most of us do or fit a suitable fused socket direcly wired to the leisure battery in the habitation area by passing the control panel.

Tracker, Motorhomes vary, some leave teh 12 volts on and some do not, mine for example leaves eveything powered but turns of any outside lights when engine is started. Therefore I can charge batteries quite happily plugged into rear 12 volt outlets.

Have sent PM re your batteries.

Get a decent sized solar panel fitted to the roof, 80watts minimum and connected to the leisure battery via a solar regulator. Also get a "battery master" fitted which will ensure that your starter battery is maintained as well. Thats the proper way and it will also enable you (if sensible) to camp without any mains hookup for long periouds during the summer.

C.

I agree with Clive, we have a solar and 3 batteries. It charges when driving or stationary. Good thing is when the batteries are fully charged it switches over to charge the Engine battery.

In Cold winter I sometimes remove the fuse for the leisure batteries and force the solar to charge the engine battery thus keepingthe Alarm system alive too.

We always say that if we are travelling with nothing in the 12volt cig socket we are missing an opportunity to charge something - even if it is your electric razor!

Cheers

Tony

Archived