Air suspension (again)

boxer1

I know this subject has been discused before and I have read past replies on the subject. After reading all the information I have decided to fit air suspension to my Auto Trail 1998.

The only problem is I cant make my mind up on what system to fit, manual or compressor, gauge etc. I am not loaded with money but if it was best to fit the compressor etc then I would but if that system was only for handyness and the manual system just did the same job then I would fit it.

Any advice would be appreciated :-D

I don't think there is a "best".  We have the individual Firestone DriveRite units installed without a compressor.  Each has its own inflation valve, so both need not be at the same pressure.  This system is simple, relatively cheap, eliminates any tendency for roll forces to transfer air between one side and the other, and is easily adjusted with a few strokes of a cycle pump.  A tyre pressure gauge suffices to check the pressures.  Anything more adds cost and complexity, but brings some greater convenience.  The air units will do the same job, whatever gizmos are added.  The gizmos will not improve the performance of the air system, just how easy it is to maintain - until the manometer, or built in pump fail, that is!  :-)

Hello..... It is, as Brian says, down to the individual.

We have the air line of both sides joined together but with an isolating tap in each line in case we wanted different pressures in each line. (which we have never done?)

This gives us a single pump-up valve, with a gauge for pressure info.

I considered the built-in compressor and actually bought one but decided it was a little over the top. (And involved more work.)

The main reason for the the air suspension was to "up the payload" by "re-plating", but the "ride" has improved and so has the ground clearance by 1 inch.

p0930 - 2010-02-26 5:05 PM

I have the compressor fitted by AS suspension. Invidual sides can be adjusted at the touch of a button. Can also be adjusted whilst negotiating eg ferries ramps etc. Wouldn't be without it.

we also have this system on our Burstner, due to the rather long overhang creating a slight problem on our driveway and potentially on ferries.

The beauty of this is that I can adjust when necessary from the cab seat, and change left/right pressure individually, and also if required, can level up the rear on sites..though in practice, I find it's usually the front wheels which need blocking up when on pitches!!

I looked at several makes recently and feel AS susupension is the best. The price when you compare others units is good for what you get. The system is easy to use, as others have said, and can be operated from the drivers seat. It is also to my knowledge the only complete system for the Alko chassis. They are in Warrington and will fit. Tel. no is 01925 241200.

boxer1 - 2010-02-26 12:21 PM

I know this subject has been discused before and I have read past replies on the subject. After reading all the information I have decided to fit air suspension to my Auto Trail 1998.

The only problem is I cant make my mind up on what system to fit, manual or compressor, gauge etc. I am not loaded with money but if it was best to fit the compressor etc then I would but if that system was only for handyness and the manual system just did the same job then I would fit it.

Any advice would be appreciated :-D

Hi Boxer 1

I am on to my third Motorhome that one of the first thing I fit is Airide,

I find that the stability it gives the vehicle is unbeleavable, it is so easy to maintain a small gauge and valve in the door well you can pump one side or both sides with ease

Terry

Thanks for the replies

I accept the benifits of the gauges etc but when I priced the two systems on the internet the system without the gauge was approx. £200 cheaper, a lot of money.

Rupert

Does AS suspensions come without the compressor and do they have one for the Fiat chassis.

Boxer 1

boxer1 - 2010-02-27 3:09 PM

Thanks for the replies

I accept the benifits of the gauges etc but when I priced the two systems on the internet the system without the gauge was approx. £200 cheaper, a lot of money.

Rupert

Does AS suspensions come without the compressor and do they have one for the Fiat chassis.

Boxer 1

No it is a complete system and if you add a compressor to price of other systems works out cheaper. They do one for all Fiats both leaf spring and Alko chassis. Think price for standard single axle is about £580.

Archived