CC advice on dogs abroad

LORNA

Hi, having very recently joined the CC and in proud possession of our first motorhome, I was quite surprised to read the CC comments in the Europe 1 book about 'thinking carefully about taking pets abroad' due to Pine processional caterpillars, ticks, etc. Our dog has his Pet Passport and getting a motorhome was going to be one of the ways we could avoid putting him in kennels. What do others think? We are hoping to get as far as the Western Pyrennes and have to travel in school hols. Wouldn't keep going South if it was too hot for him. The motorhome also has air conditioning. All experiences and advice will be very seriously considered as we don't want to make the wrong decision here. PS He is a Jack Russell so not a large dog and will be just 2 years old by the holidays. Many thanks, Lorna

LORNA - 2010-02-26 5:18 PM

Hi, having very recently joined the CC and in proud possession of our first motorhome, I was quite surprised to read the CC comments in the Europe 1 book about 'thinking carefully about taking pets abroad' due to Pine processional caterpillars, ticks, etc. Our dog has his Pet Passport and getting a motorhome was going to be one of the ways we could avoid putting him in kennels. What do others think? We are hoping to get as far as the Western Pyrennes and have to travel in school hols. Wouldn't keep going South if it was too hot for him. The motorhome also has air conditioning. All experiences and advice will be very seriously considered as we don't want to make the wrong decision here. PS He is a Jack Russell so not a large dog and will be just 2 years old by the holidays. Many thanks, Lorna

Hi LORNA

Personally, I wouldn't take CC advice too seriously and certainly not above that of the actual experiences of others on this forum.

The CC do tend to have a fairly negative view on many things and will always err on the side of (extreme) caution.

My advice would be to read the advice others have submitted on taking dogs to europe and make sure you plan your trip with the dog(s) firmly in mind. Taking care of them is no more difficult than doing so in this country, perhaps some of the risks are different but common sense is usually the best approach. I speak as someone who has been taking dogs on our trips abroad since the Pets Passport scheme first came in.

David

Lorna.

I concur what David has said Yes read what others have said on taking dogs abroad. We take ours we have had no problems. As for ticks and fleas you get them here just the same. Sandflies can be a problem on beaches etc in the warmer areas. Sister in law has lived on the continent for the last 24years and they have never seen the caterpillars despite camping in south etc, (they have the caterpillars in Kew gardens) this does not mean they are not there just be aware.

Go for it and enjoy.

David

Thanks for this advice and especially on your sister's experience. Didn't know we had these caterpillars in Kew - ugh - went there not so long ago last summer! Good to think I am not being irresponsible just a dog-owner who wants her dog with her if possible and not in a kennel! Thanks again, Lorna

Lorna I could be wrong but I think these caterpillars can be mostly found in pine forests! so I wouldn't be letting my dog roam off lead in an area like that. Its not only dogs ,these things are dangerous to humans as well! when we went for the first time to France four years ago, I was very nervous as you hear all these stories about the people that know someone who knew someone who lost there dog etc; *-) just make sure you keep your dog on a lead and tied up as you would in this country and he will be fine. Google these processional caterpillars and read up! I even sent the link to my Son who like you teaches and his wife they bought a holiday home at Fontenaires in the Limogen area and I wanted to make sure he was aware of their existence! he said he had noticed lots of webs in the forest near them but never seen the caterpillars.

Where there's only a few pine trees you'll find them. Currently they're crossing the greens at my golf club, 20m from the nearest pine tree!!

I wouldn't let them stop someone taking their dog to France or Spain though.

Just be cautious when near pine trees.

Hi Lorna, just take him you will have no problems, take your own Frontline and Drontal to use at the French vets this will stop you paying top price , no need to book a vet just visit any vet most speak English, the farther away from the port you are the cheaper it gets, if you had to take all the advice these organisations give out you would never go anywhere, Mac

Lots of scaremongering around on many topics. Pets is one. We travel in Motorhome with a wild terrier who is not happy unless off the lead and running wild in some forest. In France regularly and Pyrenees too, both French and Spanish sides of the border. Never had any trouble. You might have your CC skimmed, you might be broken into, mugged or catch fire. You might fall and break a leg and have an unfortunate hospital or insurance experience - but most of us don't. So enjoy your travels with your dog. Take the usual sensible precautions, and unless you are one of the unlucky few you will have a great time.

Make sure your passport is up to date and correct.Keep the frontline up to date.Use your common sense.If its very hot for instance, walks should be done early in the morning and late evening and enjoy!We have taken ours 3 times now and she seems to enjoy it.France in particular is very dogfriendly.There is a company, Dogs away I think its called, that will book a vet for you if you wish.Might give you more confidence the first time.Not essential though.

Thanks for this good and sensible advice - I will indeed ensure all the teatments possible are sorted out here before we go and organise the Frontline and Drontal to take away. Does anybody take any other medications with them (apart from tick tweezers?). Don't want to be alarmist but very keen to learn from other's experiences! Once again, many, appreciative thanks, Lorna

As my little dog can easily get very loose I always have tabs from the Vet for that and a bottle of Pepto-bismol only for use in emergency! if he gets hold of anything fatty he can be quite poorly he is prone to slight pancritis. But if you dog is normally healthy you shouldn't need anything that you wouldn't use here :-S ,I just make sure he is kept cool when it gets very hot and always have a small bottle to carry with you with water for him.

You will have a lovely time Lorna just relax and enjoy yourselves :-D, untill you have been through the passport thing you will probably worry a bit but its straight forward and there is so many Vets you will get him sorted alright

you have 24 to 48 hrs before you leave to get him done.

Hi Lorna

Be sensible but don't be alarmed - the Caravan Club will always err on the side of caution ... about everything!

We've taken our dogs away mostly twice a year now for the past 5 years without any problems problems. One has had an upset tummy (dog decided to gobble down a large tissue!) for which we were able to get some 'Sucre' stuff (looks like large brown sugar cubes) at the pharmacy, can't remember what it was called exactly but it is specifically for dogs with a runny rear and upset tummy, only a few euros so cheap as well as its an over the counter medicine in France, as are lots of other things, so you don't have to go to a vet there to get stuff like you do here. I'd suggest getting something beforehand though if you can, there's a little packet of tummy medicine you can get from various places - pet shops and even some garden centres, costs about £3-4 and well worth getting (we'd run out before we went abroad, hence the visit to the French pharmacy).

Also some of the proper dog sticky plaster would be good - our Romy broke her dew claw twice, the first time a vet in France sorted it out and fortunately the travel insurance covered the whole cost, the second time it happened (other dew claw this time for a matching pair!), so we knew what to do and used the plaster.

Other than the tick remover and the standard first aid stuff you'd have for yourself (sterile bandages and dressings etc), the only other thing I'd suggest is some Piriton anti-histamines tablets which contains the ingredient chlorpheniramine or chlorphenamine as this particular medication is safe for use with dogs, in case your little horror gets an itchy reaction to something. Our patterdate, Lily, is allergic to some types of grass 8-) so we often have to give her some tablets - you must make sure they are based on the above ingredient though as other makes of anti-histamines have different ingredients which are not safe for dogs. One tablet is sufficient, just follow the instructions as to how regular to give them.

I'd also suggest making a small list of a few things you'd like to say to a vet or pharmacist in case you need to in a hurry ... trying to explain that your dog has got diarrhoea to someone who doesn't speak English is fun and involves some wonderful hand gestures and 'acting' as I found out even with my knowledge of some of the lingo!!!! :D

The food may be foreign, the lingo may be strange, but the dogs are the same.

The dogs are the same - it's just people who are strange.

Someone we know 'adopted' a dog whilst they were in Austria on holiday some years ago.

They brought it back to the UK and it stayed in kennels for it's six month quarantine.

When they got it out they employed an Austrian lady to teach it commands in English.

Honest - you couldn't make it up!

It is a case of don't panic.

The catapillars are poisoned every night as they walk in a procession over the pavement, and locals burn the nests.

We saw them everyday as we walked in from La Nusia to Benidorm with our dog.

I just made sure he didn't step on them as even dead ones can cause a problem.

When we went up the mountain we saw the nests.

In La Nusia they have built the Villa's around the Pine Tree's so we had to go careful.

As for ticks he had a collar on and Frontline.

Its a case if you have done your best relax and enjoy the holiday --the dog will :->

Thanks so much for all this excellent advice - you have given me lots more confidence. I will ceertainly be sorting out the first aid kit for both hunans and dogs and getting the vet sorted so we can have final checks etc. Many good wishes for dog-happy hols, Lorna

Hi Lorna,

Our 2 year old westie is well travelled and loves it in France, we are in the southwest, but we did have problem last year with her. I hope my experience will help you and other doggy owners.

On a regular basis we front line her and last june a few days after being done she became lethargic and sick, and I noticed that she had a tic on her head, checking her further, more were found, so I took her straight to our local vet.

He immediatly did a blood test,and said she was very poorly due to a infestation of ticks, I said we had frontlined her only a few days ago but he said that the deer tics that are in this area are resistant to frontline and that Advantix must be used.

He injected her with antibiotics anti inflamatories anti tic and also gave me a course of tablets to give her. The bood test was clear of heart worm and leishmaniasis so no long lasting damage was done, and as she is a young dog he said she would recover over the next week or so. The vet was very thorough and said if we had and concerns to bring her staight back.

Unfortunately she also suffers from epilepsy and is on regular medication for this twice a day, but being ill also put her into a series of 12 fits over a 24hr period this really does scramble her little brain box.

It took a couple of weeks for her to recover from her ordeal and is now her normal happy self , she still has fits but the medication is keeping them under control.

We give her advantix on a regular basis and have had no more problems, we have not had any problems with catapillers in this area but I did catch her playing with a snake, but thats another story.

I hope you doggy lovers will find my shared experience helpful.

Regards Geoff cole

Thanks for this experience - did you get the ticks from France? My dog got them last Whitsun in Devon. Also does Frontline OR Advantix have to be used, not both? Just want to be sure we ask for the correct thing when we get to our vet here and get prepared for the visit. Many thanks, Lorna

Hi Lorna,

We were in France for a while last year and the dog picked the tics up here. We have deer around as well as other wild life. At home in the IOM we use Frontline as the tics are normal sheep tics, and have not had a problem.

We get the advantex from our local vet in France and apply it every 2 weeks through the spring and summer when the weather is warmer. Our local vet in France is excellent, they diagnosed the epilepsy and provide the treatment. We take her there before returning to the uk or we use the vet in Bellac in the limosin if we are breaking the journey home. we find the cost here very reasonable as is the service

hope this helps

regards Geoff Cole

Lorna - lots of good advice above. We have two dogs who live with us in the eastern part of Europe, luckily those 'Processional Caterpillars' are never seen here. We do have ticks and I've had to become adept at removing them. I do it by hand i.e. I can't be bothered with tweezers there are four stages (1) when they are just on the dogs coat but not yet buried down and biten in (2) when they've just got their mandibles into the skin (3) just started to suck the blood and (4) when fully enlarged and about to drop off. Stages (1) and (4) are easy to remove, stage (3) is a little more difficult and stage (2) is the most difficult because they are small and there is not much to grab hold of !!!

Just getting to grips with ticks - the first lot we watched a vet's nurse remove then we had a go ourselves at the next one that got attached. Have to admit have used tweezers - bit sqeamish otherwise! Thanks for your rerassurance and best wishes, Lorna

Archived