Burstner spare wheel carrier (Ixeo)

simran

Hello there,  We have a Burstner Aviano ,for which we bought a spare wheel/tyre ,We thought about a spare wheel carrier but finding a ready made one was difficult plus expensive when we did plus the added weight so I decided to make a box trailer (fully enclosed and lockable) from our open 5x4 open trailer,this would hold the Spare when touring in this country (towing it rather that carrying it) When we go out of the country It goes into the underbed locker, both places out of sight and lockable.  But I still had the added wieght of the towbar to contend with, so I keep the weight down in the Motorhome by putting the heavier things like Spare Wheel ,Awning, GENERATOR and gas bottle ,as the genny requires it own regulator.the trialer is plated at 7cwt,so within he gross train weight of the Motorhome. hope its of some help.

I'm near certain that the "Ixeo" model has only been built on the current Fiat X250 base.

If that's so, then I'm fairly sure there's no Fiat-produced spare-wheel 'cradle' available for that chassis, as the spare-wheel (when provided) is normally carried via a cable-operated wind-down arrangement rather like the Ford system used on Transits.

Whether the Fiat system can be retro-fitted to a X250-based motorhome where a spare-wheel is not originally offered as an option (which I'm guessing is the case with Ixeo) is anybody's guess, as it's quite likely that the space beneath the chassis where a spare-wheel might be housed has been exploited by the motorhome converter to fit water tanks and the like. Even if there were under-chassis space for the spare-wheel, the motorhome's bodywork design might make it impossible to operate the winding mechanism.

I'd go for the 'boot' option - at least the spare-wheel will be reasonably easy to access if it's needed.

Thank you for all that. We requested a spare wheel and were expecting it to be slung underneath like a Rimor we had, but it is in the "boot" with quite a flimsy fitting. It will be a bit like a car boot to remove if (heaven forbid) we ever need it - goods and chattels heaped all over the roadside! Looking on the bright side, it will at least be clean for the breakdown man. ;-)

Archived