french holiday

sturyan

Why take food with you! unless its for dietry needs.

We only take the very basics and possibly enough for a couple of days, untill we shop we do have a couple of stand by tins for emergencies.

Buy French food and enjoy the difference especialy all the fresh fruit and veg.

David

sturyan - 2010-03-02 8:02 PM

new to motorhoming but not to france.can any regulars please advise about which foods we can take in fridge ta (!) (?)

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I don't think there are any restrictions about what you take in your fridge at the moment.

It's when we get something like 'foot and mouth' or similar in this country that they restrict imports of dairy foods, meat etc.

( I know 'cos we've had some confiscated !)

None of the crossings take very long so your food should stay o.k. in the fridge while it's turned off on the ferry on in the tunnel.

You can always put a bottle of frozen milk or drinking water in the fridge on the longer crossings, such as Portsmouth / Caen, which will help to keep things cold.

I asked the same question when we first went a couple of years ago :-D so your not alone! make sure you take the coffee/tea you like and a large tub of whatever butter/ spread, a couple of meals to see you over a couple of days,

but apart from that the shops have everything you need plenty of veg/salad etc; bread we buy fresh baguettes every day I usually buy part baked as well just in case were travelling and I can pop some in the oven to have fresh or as a backup, I buy the bottles of long life milk over there its very good even on cereal which is also readily available over there.

Dont worry about food there are Supermarkets all over the place with plenty of choice, I also carry a 4 ltre bottle of drinking water untill we get a chance to buy more, we dont travel with our water filled up, only enough to tide us over untill we find our first stop.

Hi sturyan - welcome to the mad house.

No restrictions at present that I can think of! I'd suggest taking the basic provisions, plus some bits and pieces so you can rustle up a couple of evening meals just in case you get delayed and need some nosh when the supermarkets etc are closed.

I usually take sauces, spreads, cheese (Chedder is expensive), some meat (this can be expensive too), bread etc to save having to worry for acouple of days. I also take some 'emergency' stuff such as tinned spuds, veg etc ... and it usually has a very nice holiday and comes back home again!!! :D

If you are a shopper in Lidl/Netto/Aldi here, you'll find similar sorts of stores there with many a time the same stuff you're used to here.

Get all your fresh stuff once in France - the sizes and variety of the lettuces are wonderful!!

Bacon in France. We found they only seem to do the streaky kind. I have a french friend whose father loves good British bacon We always take him some when we go. Really don't like theirs, too much fat

Also freeze portions of meat and make sure they are pretty flat, wrap in tinfoil and put in little plastic sealable bags with a name label inside. Last year we took enough to last almost 3 weeks and we only have the little freezer compartment in the fridge. Just have to remember to defrost them in the morning.

Take all the usual tea, coffee, spreads and biscuits. All the fresh food can be found easily as and when you want it.

We usually stock up with Bacon butter and milk to to last us a couple of days but we always hit the french super markets,The supermarkets always have fresher Fruit and Vegetables than the UK.we also stock up with them for our return home. There are not many times that you will be stopped by the French customs. They have upped the anti over he last couple of Years especially on Tobacco taken into France even if you are transiting thro France from Belgium See web site http://france.visahq.com/customs/ for this statement Products of animal origin:

Apart from some exceptions the Community rules do not allow the importation of meat, meat products, milk and milk products by travellers. These rules also apply on your return to the UK under UK restrictions . How ever the customs are more focused on Drugs alcohol tobacco and illegal immigrants .

So if you do get unlucky and get stopped You cant plead ignorant of the Law.

Not aware of any restrictions - beyond the fact that your fridge will have to be off on the ferry or in the tunnel, but that's only really an issue on a long crossing.

The main thing is, take something for your first couple of days meals (so that you're not immediately searching for food) and any specific brands or peculiarities you can't live without. You can get pretty much anything in the hypermarkets, as long as you aren't expecting your usual UK brands. Butter and sunflower spread are available even in small grocery shops.

You can buy Liptons teabags which are (IMHO) as good as anything we have here. But don't let any French person actually MAKE tea for you - there's a reason why they call those places "Cafés" not "Thés!" :-D But as an experienced visitor to France without a motorhome, you'll know that already!

Enjoy yourselves!

Why buy drinking water , water in France is ok to drink!!

Maybe for you it is :-S I have a very delicate stomach :-S and I wouldn't risk ruining my holiday. So you drink what you want and Ill drink what I want! O.K

Oh I do drink the boiled water for tea coffee, but for taking tablets and drinking cold I prefer bottled.

The water may be perfectly fit to drink but it is often heavily chlorinated which can give a taint to its taste.

If sensitive to the taste then bottled is going to be better (IMHO) for drinking.

Personal choice

:-D

Chlorinated tastes horrible, I should know, our water comes from the river Exe and in wet weather they throw bucket loads of the stuff into the water. I have never had water in France that tastes as horrible as ours sometimes does.

Archived