Swift warranty

Blizzard

When our Bessacarr reached the ripe old age of 9 months, I noticed quite severe condensation on the insides of the rear light clusters.

Whilst it was in for the recent recall on the door strut, I asked my dealer to have a look at a few minor warranty issues for me, including said condensation.

I later received a call from the dealer advising me that Swift had refused the work on the lights due to this not being covered by their warranty.

Feeling a tad aggrieved that after spending a small fortune on the MH, that a sealed light unit was allowing water ingress at this early stage and was already affecting emitted light quality (never mind future corrosion) I phoned Swift direct to confirm what the dealer was telling me.

They did confirm that the warranty only covered the lights up to "Pre Delivery Inspection"

After spending the morning on the phone complaining to Swift, they have agreed to sort the lights FOC, but not under warranty.

I can't help but wonder what the point is, of a warranty that only covers up to PDI !!

Just checked my warrenty, no mention of light units not being covered, if not exluded they are covered. The only exclusion is high level brake lights in year two and three. Doubt Fiat would have anything to do with rear lights, as been suggested, not a Fiat part.

Once more into the breach!  It is actually the dealer who sold you the motorhome who is liable for any faults in it. 

The guarantee is merely a promise to you from the manufacturer, it has no contractual significance, and legally it guarantees exactly what it say it guarantees, no more, and no less.  If it doesn't specifically say lights are covered, they are not.  That is not to say the manufacturer may not agree to replace defective items outside the warranty, as a goodwill gesture, as you have persuaded Swift to do (and so they bloomin' well should!).

You do have rights of enforcement if the manufacturer breaches the terms of his warranty, but the general advice is that, as the onus is then on you to prove that the defect should have been covered under warranty, seeking enforcement is difficult and potentially costly. 

Therefore, however unreasonable it may at first seem, it is better and simpler, and usually quicker, to take problems back to the selling dealer, with whom you do have a contract under which he has continuing obligations to you, and get him to sort it out.  He can then argue with the manufacturer instead.  It may at times seem a bit harsh, but it is the legal basis on which you bought the van, and the dealers know this.

As I'm about take delivery of a Swift I've been browsing their warranty document. Did anybody realise that the warranty is invalid if you spend more than 90 days a year on a continuous trip abroad? How they can monitor this is anybody's guess but it is a condition so be careful what you say if a warranty issue arises. The precise wording is :

"The warranty only applies to motorhomes purchased and used within the UK, and for continuous journeys abroad of no longer than 90 days per journey."

The warranty document is here:

http://www.swiftleisure.co.uk/motorhomes/warranty

This does seem to be a very odd condition given the amount of time these vehicles spend abroad especially as Swift seem to be a very popular brand for those who overwinter overseas.

Hi - the following is a direct quote from Swift, re 90 days, on MHFacts

We have reviewed the Warranty rule (if in europe for more than 90 days warranty becomes invalid) and to be honest none of us know where it came from and why it is there, or for that matter how we would know if the van has been in europe for more than 90 days.

We have therefore concluded it is indeed a nonesense, so provided the van is serviced in accordance with the warranty guidelines in the UK - the warranty is valid (so thats upto 364 days in europe then).

Our Handbook and policies will be ammended to have this reference withdrawn.

Thanks and apologies for any confusion,

here's the link (page 2)

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-76658-days0-orderasc-10.html

Clyde

Brian Kirby - 2010-03-03 12:32 AM

Once more into the breach!  It is actually the dealer who sold you the motorhome who is liable for any faults in it. 

The guarantee is merely a promise to you from the manufacturer, it has no contractual significance, and legally it guarantees exactly what it say it guarantees, no more, and no less.  If it doesn't specifically say lights are covered, they are not.  That is not to say the manufacturer may not agree to replace defective items outside the warranty, as a goodwill gesture, as you have persuaded Swift to do (and so they bloomin' well should!).

You do have rights of enforcement if the manufacturer breaches the terms of his warranty, but the general advice is that, as the onus is then on you to prove that the defect should have been covered under warranty, seeking enforcement is difficult and potentially costly. 

Therefore, however unreasonable it may at first seem, it is better and simpler, and usually quicker, to take problems back to the selling dealer, with whom you do have a contract under which he has continuing obligations to you, and get him to sort it out.  He can then argue with the manufacturer instead.  It may at times seem a bit harsh, but it is the legal basis on which you bought the van, and the dealers know this.

Brian I feel this is wrong. Swifts warrenty states; 'Any fault arising from a manufacturing defect but not faults arising from accidental damage'. It goes on to say no faults which are a result of normal wear and tear or those which relate to replacments of light bulbs or leisue battery. So the rear light are covered unless they have been damaged by accident. Their are exclusions in year 2/3 but even here lights, other than bulbs, are not excluded so year one warranty on light units will still apply.

worky - 2010-03-03 9:50 AM

Hi - the following is a direct quote from Swift, re 90 days, on MHFacts

We have reviewed the Warranty rule (if in europe for more than 90 days warranty becomes invalid) and to be honest none of us know where it came from and why it is there, or for that matter how we would know if the van has been in europe for more than 90 days.

We have therefore concluded it is indeed a nonesense, so provided the van is serviced in accordance with the warranty guidelines in the UK - the warranty is valid (so thats upto 364 days in europe then).

Our Handbook and policies will be ammended to have this reference withdrawn.

Thanks and apologies for any confusion,

here's the link (page 2)

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-76658-days0-orderasc-10.html

Clyde

Thanks. But they clearly haven't amended the warranty yet as its still on their website as per my link.

rupert123 - 2010-03-03 10:32 AM
Brian Kirby - 2010-03-03 12:32 AM

Brian I feel this is wrong. Swifts warranty states; 'Any fault arising from a manufacturing defect but not faults arising from accidental damage'. It goes on to say no faults which are a result of normal wear and tear or those which relate to replacements of light bulbs or leisure battery. So the rear light are covered unless they have been damaged by accident. Their are exclusions in year 2/3 but even here lights, other than bulbs, are not excluded so year one warranty on light units will still apply.

On re-reading what I wrote, Rupert, I agree. I should have said "unless there is a general clause implying all components are guaranteed, if it doesn't specifically say lights are covered, they are not".  There seem to be broadly two kinds of guarantee.  Those that state everything is covered, except items that are specifically excluded, and those that exclude everything unless specifically included.  I'm afraid I based my statement on an assumption of the latter type, and forgot the former.  However, it is correct that overall responsibility lies with the dealer, which was the main point I wanted to emphasise.  Apologies for misleading.

Archived