Halogen Ovens

mondo

In January we bought a Halogen oven via E-Bay, yesterday we noticed the lower part of the oven (The big glass bowl bit) is badly cracked and on even closer inspection the bowl has what I would term "Bubble Cracks" possibly caused during manufacture/moulding

We've been in touch with the distributors and sent em some piccys of the said bowl and awaiting relpy/replacement...any other owners had any such probs with these ovens??

Not being familiar with this product I looked at the site suggested. Hell I thought all the heat rises into and above the power source, so how does one remove the top for an adjustment to the ingredients?

The answer is in the reviews, pretty darned difficult.

The idea sounds fine but to have a heat source UNDER the control mechanism is a recipy for disaster so its hardly surprising there have been failures.

Lord Raindrop - 2010-03-03 9:39 PM

I've just viewed another Halogen Oven site where the temperatures offered are 250C for one hour, does anyone realise this is metal melting temperature.

I'm therefore not surprised that the control mechanism sitting on the top fails to survive.

Are you for real? Yes some metals melt at 250 C, lead, perhaps tin etc. i've just checked our domestic conventional electric oven and it goes up to 260C! My wife has worked in professional kitchens where the ovens can easily manage 300C for as long as you want.

I understand that some of these halogen ovens aren't designed or made with the best materials for the job but please get your facts right.

D.

Thank you kindly gentlemen for your comments, the slight exaggeration here is to stress to those that are unaware that the design of such a piece of equipment is in my view bound to fail due to extreme heat, true one would assume that a thermostat would act as a safety device but there are occasions when they fail.

It must be born in mind that ALL the power is in very close proximity and immediately below the controls, most unusual in my view and not the standard method of heating kitchen appliances. There appears to be no area that allows for the circulation of hot air, therefore an additional rise in temperature might be possible ie above 250c.

True I have had no personal contact with such an item but following the original posters comment I looked at the pictures and descriptions of the object and read the revues, my conclusions were as said. I would decline if one were offered for use in my workshop.

We have had one of these for about 6 years with no problems whatsoever. The motor circulates the air around the food. When you put water and a bit of washingup liquid in it and switch it on you can see that there is a vortex (I think that is the right word), this is how you clean the bowl.

My Daughter has purloined mine and uses it nearly every day. Chicken is so moist in it and it makes the most delicious roast potatoes. I did once bake a fruitcake in it and the instruction book said to use one of those cake tins that have a hole in the centre and this was fine.

There are a couple of alternatives on the market at the moment. One is the StarChef from JML and also the Wonder Cooker that Lakeland sell but this is £50 cheaper at Robert Dyas. On the Lakeland website there is a video explaining what it does.

Sounds a bit like the FIAt saga, some good some not so good, only if people add their comments to reviews can a fair assessment be made as often happens, and of course there are always abusers of any object.

For the record there are 6 metalic elements (metals) that have their melting point indicated as under 220 C.

Hello,

My girlfriend has one of these and a year ago when I first saw it I was sceptical to say the least. Turns out that it works brilliantly and all of her friends and neighbours use them too. The control part never seems to get especially hot. They were all around £50 though and perhaps that is the important bit. Another case of "What do you expect for £25 ?"

Nick

Archived