Wasting our money

LordThornber

For confidentiality reasons I've had to pare this yarn to the bone but you'll get the gist I'm sure.

In my new role, and new location, I've witnessed some astonishing waste, heating way too high, (colleagues opening windows as they can't turn off/down the heating), unnecessary printing of documents etc.

But this was the Daddy. There I was in a meeting with 2 other professionals. It was to last for about 70 mins, I estimate the wage cost alone was about £100.

We had to decide on the final appearance for a document that was going to print. We did this and then discussed the number to be printed.

The lead person in the meeting announced that she was quite happy to go ahead and get it run off providing it was within a £60 (sixty) budget.

My colleague and my chin (s) nearly hit the table. I estimate that the time taken by myself and colleague plus the meeting must have cost in the region of £200. We couldn't get a figure beforehand or naturally we wouldn't have bothered.

So there you have it. £200 to spend £60.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2010-03-07 1:20 PM

We had to decide on the final appearance for a document that was going to print. We did this and then discussed the number to be printed.

The lead person in the meeting announced that she was quite happy to go ahead and get it run off providing it was within a £60 (sixty) budget.

My colleague and my chin (s) nearly hit the table. I estimate that the time taken by myself and colleague plus the meeting must have cost in the region of £200. We couldn't get a figure beforehand or naturally we wouldn't have bothered.

So there you have it. £200 to spend £60.

Martyn

This does not surprise me one little bit. My experience ( brought in to advise companies ) of British management is that on the whole the standard is poor. Many companies do not have clearly defined protocols and proceedures in place, and allow insufficient time for training staff in management skills.

So often staff are promoted from within without due regard to their ability to perform at the new level. The consequence of that is that poor decisions are made.

The really succesfull companies, however, are streets ahead of the also rans, who are exposed for what they are when margins are squeezed and costs have to be reduced. Effective management is not something that just happens, neither is it the inevitable consequence of promotion. It has to be taught, carefully monitored, and its effectiveness constantly reviewed to work *-)

Roy Fuller

Guest peter
Agreed Porky. Unfortunately the companies you refer to are in the minority. Fortunately for me, I happened to be a production manager for one of them. Of course, it was American. British companies don't have a clue and mostly bluff their way through.

Porky - 2010-03-09 3:19 PM

So often staff are promoted from within without due regard to their ability to perform at the new level. The consequence of that is that poor decisions are made.

I think it was someone called Peters who first pointed out that people tend to be "promoted to their level of incompetence."

In other words, do your present job well and you'll be promoted - and you'll go on being promoted until you reach a point where you're NOT doing your job well, and that's where you'll spend the rest of your career - unless you give someone a good solid reason to fire you!

So every position ends up being filled by someone not quite up to the job!

I'm glad Baptists don't have bishops :D !

Archived