Autosleeper Nuevo

Jodi

Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for some help. We are caravanners at the moment, but plan to sell the caravan and buy a motorhome probably this year. So far top of the list is the Autosleeper Nuevo EK which looks a lovely van so would appreciate some views on this especially from Nuevo owners. I suspect that a good time to purchase a motorhome is at the end of the season rather then the start, when a good bargain could be found perhaps. Also if we did decide to buy new, will dealers reduce the advertised price for a cash deal? Any help will be gratefully received. many thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum Jodi. A/S Nuevo would be our choice too, but really happy with our A/S Duetto for a few years yet. In this economic climate dealers are eager to have your business. Haggle, Haggle, Haggle and when they have reduced the price to your satisfaction ask about freebies ie awnings, Gaslow, chairs etc etc.

Regards Ian

Tracker - 2010-03-10 5:24 PM Are you aware of the gearbox issues affecting most Peugeot X250 based vans?

Rich

In all fairness the gearbox problems are on the X250 model 2006 onwards (I think) The Nuevo came out 2002 so earlier ones don't have the judder problem, maybe the 5th gear but I think that was sorted wasn't it.

I also have been looking at a Nuevo, so would like to know any owners comments please. It ticks all my boxes.

Dave 

Hi Dave, had our Nuevo from new in 2003. It has been and still is an excellent choice, I could waffle on about it's good points all day and it's bad ones (for us) in about a minute.

Staggeringly good build quality, upholstery firm, no sagging, top quality fittings throughout. Nothing falling off.

Fresh water tank a tad small for us, we use all our own facilities even on site. Why? Because we can.

Lighting a bit dull by today's standards but adequate.

Martyn

Before deciding what to buy, you should consider where you may go with your motorhome, as not all are suitable for all types of use.  For example, I would doubt the suitability of this van for winter skiing trips.

I would check very carefully what Autosleepers include within their definition of essential habitation equipment, because what is left as payload after it is deducted (345Kg) looks decidedly slim to me.

I would also suggest hiring a van before you buy, especially as you are coming from caravaning, because motorhomes offer the possibility of a far more mobile mode of travel than many find convenient with a caravan.  Once you have tried it out, that difference may lead you to change your minds over the layout you would really prefer, and changing vans is an expensive hobby!  I would also add that there is plenty of choice at that price level and size of van.

Final thought, as Rich (Tracker) says, beware the Peugeot/Citroen/Fiat (they are all the same under the skin, whatever the badge on the front!) reverse gear issue.  See here: http://tinyurl.com/ygemkvr

Brian Kirby - Quote ""I would check very carefully what Autosleepers include within their definition of essential habitation equipment, because what is left as payload after it is deducted (345Kg) looks decidedly slim to me.Quote ""

My A/S Windsor is causing me all sorts of headaches with lack of user payload. Should be 528Kg, but it seems that the Air con, Passenger seatbelts + frame (factory option) plus ford tolerence and manufacturer tolerance +/- 5%, have robbed me of approx 150Kg of payload. See my thread on overloading.

So take any prospective purchase, especially new to a wieghbridge to see the empty weight.

Guest Tracker
nowtelse2do - 2010-03-10 6:03 PMIn all fairness the gearbox problems are on the X250 model 2006 onwards (I think) The Nuevo came out 2002 so earlier ones don't have the judder problem, maybe the 5th gear but I think that was sorted wasn't it.

I also have been looking at a Nuevo, so would like to know any owners comments please. It ticks all my boxes.

Dave 

The nquiry did not mention what year.I too had an old model 2004 Nuevo (named Norman - but that's another story!) and it was one of the best vans I've had - not quite as well made as the Talisman/Executive but not far short.I believe the fifth gear issue was on the 2.8 engine and I don't think AS fitted 2.8s in Nueveos - but I don't know for sure?

Martyn

Thanks for that, me and the dealer are about £1k adrift (mind games at the moment, but have had a few coffees out of him :-D ) If what Brian says about the payload, that's not a lot and we would have to be careful. I think I'm right that the GVW is 3200kg. Like I said it ticked all the right boxes but he was a bit vague when I asked him about the payload, couldn't give me a straight answer. But lovely little van for the two of us.

Dave     

Rich

I'v been looking at an Executive and I'm quite impressed, it felt very comfortable and relaxing to be in, BUT.!! that bloody awful drab Autosleeper Grey upholstery was the stopper. I have no idea about the 2.8 Sevel, only heard about a problem with the 5th gear, but was easy to mend and not to costly.

Dave  

Guest Tracker

Dave,

We had several Talismans (Talismen?) and Executives, all used and well over three years old at purchase and all 1.9 and 2.0 litre petrol engines, from about 1989 to 2004. They were all without exception well made, durable, reliable, easy to drive, easy to park and a joy to own. We prefered to see the colour as light blue and all I can say is that you get used to it!

The difference in economy from petrol to the older 2.5 non turbo and turbo engines was not enough to worry about and the petrols were a heck of a lot quieter and over a grand cheaper too! If you find a later one with the HDI 2.0, 2.2 or even 2.8 motor then they are your best bet.

At some point in the early noughties the interior woodwork changed from the age old classic AS wood to a new design and that seems to be the point at which they became less well made.

I am not an expert but I do like the design - although the lack of storage and the poor insulation ruled it out for us now that we do more winter and long distance and longer duration travelling.

mike 202 - 2010-03-10 7:00 PM Brian Kirby - Quote ""I would check very carefully what Autosleepers include within their definition of essential habitation equipment, because what is left as payload after it is deducted (345Kg) looks decidedly slim to me.Quote "" My A/S Windsor is causing me all sorts of headaches with lack of user payload. Should be 528Kg, but it seems that the Air con, Passenger seatbelts + frame (factory option) plus ford tolerence and manufacturer tolerance +/- 5%, have robbed me of approx 150Kg of payload. See my thread on overloading. So take any prospective purchase, especially new to a wieghbridge to see the empty weight.

But that 528Kg of payload is the difference between the "ex works" unladen weight of your van, and its MAM.  By specifying the additions/options you appear to have requested, you have increased its unladen weight beyond the ex works figure quoted, and so, because MAM is absolute, reduced the available payload.  Your complaint, I would suggest, should be directed at the dealer who sold you the van, who should have advised you of the impact your extras would have on payload.  These vans need to be on the 3,500Kg MAM chassis, and not the 3,300Kg MAM chassis on which Auto-Sleepers seems to base them.  So far as I could see, there is no option to specify the heavier chassis, but if there is, you should have been advised accordingly.  What you are saying, in terms, is that the product supplied does match its description at point of sale.  What does the dealer say?

Brian,

A bit of confusion here, I probably should not have posted on this thread as mine is an A/S Windsor on Ford Mk7 2.4L with 3500 chassis and not the Nuevo 3300 Fiat chassis.

I was only trying to illustrate that the manufacturers data seems to conflict with reality, and that as both vehicles Nuevo and Windsor were made by Autosleeper the post seemed relavent.

Regards Mike

Hi,

We have a Lancashire, which is a Nuevo but a dealer special, 06 reg, The van has been fine for the two of us, can't think of any bad points.

Had the van weighed when we were fully loaded for a two week break, & found that we still had 300kg to spare.

Pete

We have Nuevo Classic on order which is lighter than the standard Nuevo but we did option the 3500 chassis, so it is possible, but also not a cheap option by the way, as we want to carry push bikes and did not want any struggling with payloads.

mike 202 - 2010-03-11 11:00 AM Brian, A bit of confusion here, I probably should not have posted on this thread as mine is an A/S Windsor on Ford Mk7 2.4L with 3500 chassis and not the Nuevo 3300 Fiat chassis. I was only trying to illustrate that the manufacturers data seems to conflict with reality, and that as both vehicles Nuevo and Windsor were made by Autosleeper the post seemed relavent. Regards Mike

Which does illustrate the desirability of saying what your van is, in your details.  Then we all know what the subject vehicle is.  Not a criticism, just a suggestion!  :-)

Neil Hunt - 2010-03-11 2:31 PM

We have Nuevo Classic on order which is lighter than the standard Nuevo but we did option the 3500 chassis, so it is possible, but also not a cheap option by the way, as we want to carry push bikes and did not want any struggling with payloads.

Just looked on the A/S website to see what a Classic was. What are the differences between the Classic and the EK apart from a better payload and 2 inches (lol)

I think the Nuevo II is 5 inches wider, you can see the bodywork forming a step at the cab doors on the NII. It must also be slightly larger overall to accommodate the swing out wall in the bathroom which is supposed to keep the toilet dry when showering, and has an integral awning which would suggest it is slightly taller..

The online brochure and information is sometimes misleading or wrong. It did say recently that the Classic had an integral awning which after seeking clarification from AS, it doesn't. They also changed the photo they had up which was previously showing the NII for the Classic.

We wanted a van as close to a panel van in width as possible and with a 'sofa' each at the front which led us to the Classic.

The jury is still out on whether a 'modified' gearbox is in place that offers any real improvement and AS' own reputation for quality appears more historical rather than recent, there are some pretty horrifying customer reviews on various forums.

Having said this we really like the look of the van and are hoping it will not prove, as with marriage 'the triumph of hope over experience.

The classic is the original Nuevo body on the current X250 so it is shorter, narrower and lighter than the Nuevo 2 (and therefore has more payload). They were sold under the Orian Zeta name but seemed to become the classic when the Orian brand was dropped. We ran an original Nuevo for 4 years and liked it very much. Would have gone for the classic but was not prepared to take a risk on the base vehicle.

• 7 years later...
I have owned a 2003 Nuevo ES for some 5 years now and have generally been delighted with it. Initially a few leaks from the windows but easily re-sealed. Have added a few extras to help Wildcamping which I prefer. Roof bars and wooden/fibreglassed storage box up top with the Fiamma cycle rack fortunately having long supports allowing it to be used also as ladder. Added a second smaller water tank above the spare wheel plus an additional sewage tank stowed in a hinged down box under the galley floor. Have fitted LED lighting throughout plus rear camera and parking sensors. The van is shorter than most at 5.38 metres and height 2.78 which helps parking and with its short wheelbase makes manoeuvring much easier but have to watch the overhand at the rear. With no blanketing/heating to the water tank and the supply pipe, I fitted 2 shut off valves and a non-return valve (to lessen the chance of an airlock) to the main feed before the pump with a lead to a flexible emergency 15 litre water tank stowed in the compartment. This I switch to when driving in freezing conditions. Fitted a small rope strop loop to the rear door step enabling easy foot operation. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Archived