Taylormade Ducato Screen

graementl

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rolyk - 2010-03-12 9:58 AM

This is what Taylormade say on their website about their external screen -

Construction

We make our covers by sandwiching 2 layers of waterproof material with a layer of thermal wadding in the middle. Which complies with the furnature and furnishings Fire Safety Regulations 1988.

The layers are double stitched all the way round for strength. The seams are then taped to ensure that the cover is completely waterproof.

Must've changed the design as ours don't have tape on them ... I obviously need to go to Specsavers! :D 8-)

We have Silverscreens purchased early January this year, the first time we used them they had snow, ice and then rain on them when we took them off the vehicle they were wet through. They went in a plastic bag to contain the water, when we got home they were hung over the shower curtain rail indoors and left to drip dry. I would not even think of complaining about them considering the weather they were used in. Anything with stitching is bound to let water in after a while. If you have a low profile vehicle there is no cover ( ie luton) to help keep the weather off.

David

David Dwight - 2010-03-12 10:10 PM We have Silverscreens purchased early January this year, the first time we used them they had snow, ice and then rain on them when we took them off the vehicle they were wet through. They went in a plastic bag to contain the water, when we got home they were hung over the shower curtain rail indoors and left to drip dry. I would not even think of complaining about them considering the weather they were used in. Anything with stitching is bound to let water in after a while. If you have a low profile vehicle there is no cover ( ie luton) to help keep the weather off. David

The problem with this, David, is that if they let water in they lose insulation value, and insulating the screen is  what they are sold to do.  They are made in UK, and UK is often wet.  The maker must know that.  They are made for use in cold weather, and that not infrequently means snow and ice as well as wet, it will be winter, after all.  These are the conditions under which they are designed and marketed to be used so, if they absorb water, whatever may be the reason, they have failed.  If they do this when new, they are faulty, as opposed to being possibly worn out.

Graementl -

This saga is rumbling on somewhat, so have you contacted Taylormade, as has been suggested, and made them aware of the bad publicity that they are getting ?

It seems only fair that they are made aware and then if they still persist with their original stance, i.e no refund/ no replacement then at least they have had a chance and if most people switch to silverscreens then it is a situation of their own making.

Awaiting update from Mastercard which I should get later this week. I have now purchased Silverscreens as I am off for a few weeks so could do with something incase weather gets cold. I may have to speak with Taylormade at sometime in the future and I will tell them of the Forum(but to be honest found him so unreasonable that I want him to make contact rather than me having to phone him). Once resolved or otherwise I will update you all. Thanks again for the interest.

Taylormade follow many of the forums and are often deeply hurt by things they read on there so I wouldn't worry they know they are often knocked by unhappy customers and praised by many more.

I think as most businesses they read them with interest and try to address things they can, but they also realise you can't please all the people all of the time.

Mandy

Archived