6 month check

magbrin

Some while ago I indicated that we were having a conversion done on a Renault Master at Mill Garage, Duns. It has been a great success and we have just returned from its 6 month habitation check.

The usual friendly welcome awaited us and the van, with a few minor faults to iron out (a new tap on the sink, a catch on a drawer fixed, a new 12v relay switch), was checked and ready for us within an hour and a half. Meanwhile we took the dogs for a gentle walk along the old railway line - almost Spring in the borders, not so back home - and all we paid was a standard £35.00 charge for the job.

Duns is a long way from Inverness, and not the easiest place to get to, but I would like to recommend to anyone who lives even 2-300 miles from the Scottish Borders and is thinking of a panel van conversion to speak to them and get a quotation. They will source the van to your spec., and although they still work with Leisuredrive plans, the conversion can be as bespoke as you like.

For us the price as right, the workmanship excellent and it has been such a pleasure to work with such easy straightforward people.

I'm confused ... isn't this a van conversion? The only 6 month check I've ever been aware of is a water ingress one on a coachbuilt - we have to have this on our Rimor ever 6 months whilst the warranty is in place (5 year warranty) to keep it valid.

I've never heard of a habitation check (ie not just a damp check) having to be done at 6 monthly intervals. Do you have to keep having this done every 6 months, or is it just for the first 6 months after the conversion? :-S

It seems quite reasonable to me actually. They build you a conversion to your spec and as part of the agreement there is a clause that you will return the vehicle in six months to check everything is as it should be. They ask that you pay one hour's labour charge for the check but that any faults are rectified FOC. Fail to return for that six month check and your warranty is disputable. In other words they are openly accepting and admitting that faults may crop up within the first six months of use and will happily fix them to your satisfaction as long as you pay one hour's labour for them to examine the vehicle. If only a few of the bigger converters would take this stance I'm sure there would be a lot fewer complaints of failures in new vehicles.

D.

Guest Tracker

It seems like a good idea to me too and shows a rather more caring approach than many manufacturers can muster.

One small point - why not build the £35 charge into the new price and make the check up effectively 'free' at the time of inspection - now that's service!

It is a one off check of all functioning parts, and it validates the 1 year guarantee. Presumably if anything significant goes wrong early on and is not picked up the ensuing cost could escalate considerably, so they insist on this check. We are quite happy with the situation and we will be going back before the year is up to ensure any other glitches are rectified before the guarantee runs out. Following that, presumably, we will have the normal annual habitation check.

I reitterate my original point, though. Anyone thinking of a conversion it is well worth considering Mill Garage

Unusual, but sensible. I agree with Tracker though, if it is a stipulation in order to spot possible problems early and resolve them before they 'cost' more than they need to (and by default save them time and money) I would have thought it should have been already included in the cost, however, for such a low cost if it gives peace of mind it's worth doing.

Hope you enjoy your new 'toy' and have lots of fun. :-D

Archived