Prolem with the Whale submersible water pump

stardreamer

Hi

I have a Autocruise stardream 2000 motorhome. The fuse has blown for the water pump and the pump is now not working. I have replaced the fuse and it has blown again, does anybody know what could be the problem? This is after winterising the van and we are going away this Saturday!! Advice needed.

Thanks

Dave

hi, i am not electrical,but! someone will advise you later on this thread,

just for this weekend take a water carrier an use that, when you come back sort it out, make do :D we av gone away during the winter and just used water out of the tap at home into bottles and sorted it that way,BUT if you going away for longer....ive no suggestions :D

Hi Stardreamer,

From what you have described, it certainly seems that the submersible pump itself is faulty. Because of the severe winter that we've experienced, I wonder if there was a residue of water left inside the pump, and that caused a problem when it might have frozen?

Genarally, submersible pumps are not servicable, so a replacement might be in order. If you tried a new one and it still didn't work, you could always carry it as a spare, because they don't last forever.

What I try to do, after draining down, is to shake the submersible pump, to try and drain it more thoroughly, but that would depend on it being accessible, of course.

I don't know what model you have but we used to have one in a caravan. Whenever it stuck I used to lever the bottom off clean it and give the impeller a spin by hand. Worked every time and I have over the years helped an awful lot of people with their pump problems saving them the expense of buying a new pump. If all else fails most outlets stock and do good business in replacement pumps, due to the high failure rate, as few users know how easy it is to fix them. Good luck with yours.

Guest Tracker

As Colin says a jammed impeller is quite possible and, depending on the model, a small screwdriver could soon get it feed up again without even having to take anything off of it.

If that fails the pump may well be kaput.

Tracker - 2010-03-13 6:59 PM

As Colin says a jammed impeller is quite possible and, depending on the model, a small screwdriver could soon get it feed up again without even having to take anything off of it.

If that fails the pump may well be kaput.

I've found it works best if you can get the bottom off as this enables you to give it a good few fast spins between the fingers.

Archived