Commer 1725cc

bob b

I was turning out my garage the other day and came across a cylinder head I'd had tucked away for about 25 years and forgotten about.

It's a Hillman Hunter GT 1725cc head complete with manifolds and twin stromberg carbs. Am I correct in thinking that it would fit the old 1725cc Commer van ?

I used to own one donkey's years ago and I know that the standard set-up was slow. Perhaps the head would drop straight on and give an old Commer a 'kick in the pants' ?

What do the experts think ?

Bob,

I'm no expert but anyway;

I'm pretty sure that the engine block would be the same but whether the pistons would allow clearance when this cylinder head was fitted I wouldn't know, what would the resulting compression ratio be? Is it a cross-flow head and if so would the exhaust system match up? Is there room for those carbs? An interesting project though!

Regards,

Guest Tracker
I tried this back in the 70's and the side draught Strombergs would not fit in the Commer engine bay - so I used a Weber 28/36DCD downdraught which gave a bit more power and torque than the original, I think Solex?, but at the price of a lot of induction noise and an impact on fuel consumption.

Archived